Page 833 of 834 FirstFirst ... 333733783823829830831832833834 LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,495 of 12506
  1. #12481
    Mighty Member Hellboydce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    A quick walking dead question, I had the first 7 or 8 WD deluxe books but I ended up upgrading then to the slipcase editions (6 or 7 of them?) anyways, before I break the seals and start to read them, have the books gone downhill as badly as the tv show? (So much that I quit watching after season 6) cause if so I may not bother with them (and by downhill, I mean, find place, feel safe, zombies get in, people die, move on, repeat)

  2. #12482
    Fantastic Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    A quick walking dead question, I had the first 7 or 8 WD deluxe books but I ended up upgrading then to the slipcase editions (6 or 7 of them?) anyways, before I break the seals and start to read them, have the books gone downhill as badly as the tv show? (So much that I quit watching after season 6) cause if so I may not bother with them (and by downhill, I mean, find place, feel safe, zombies get in, people die, move on, repeat)
    The first 12 deluxes (volumes 1-24) are great IMO. The Whisperers were interesting but went down hill. Deluxe 16 isn't out yet, but people say it starts picking up again with the single issues in that are collected in there.

    So volumes 25-31 are probably the weakest, unless there's love for them on here somewhere. But getting into the characters situations or how safe or rooted in one place they are, are probably big spoilers, so I don't know how to answer that.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 04-18-2019 at 01:01 AM.

  3. #12483
    Mighty Member Hellboydce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    The first 12 deluxes (volumes 1-24) are great IMO. The Whisperers were interesting but went down hill. Deluxe 16 isn't out yet, but people say it starts picking up again with the single issues in that are collected in there.

    So volumes 25-31 are probably the weakest, unless there's love for them on here somewhere. But getting into the characters situations or how safe or rooted in one place they are, are probably big spoilers, so I don't know how to answer that.
    Thanks for the reply, I think I will crack them open and give them ago, looking at eBay sealed copies don’t seem to go for much more than opened ones, so if I end up selling I won’t be losing too much

  4. #12484
    Fantastic Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    479

    Default

    My only familiarity with Umbrella Academy is the Netflix show, but I was wondering if anyone feels ordering the library edition's are worth it?
    i liked the show enough that I don't balk at spending €20 a volume or whatever. But is the comic worth picking up? Cheers.

  5. #12485
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    My only familiarity with Umbrella Academy is the Netflix show, but I was wondering if anyone feels ordering the library edition's are worth it?
    i liked the show enough that I don't balk at spending €20 a volume or whatever. But is the comic worth picking up? Cheers.
    Yes, the comics are awesome. I bought and read them long before the show came out. I actually double dipped the singles and trades. Didn't know there are library editions.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

    “Everything’s impossible until somebody does it.” – Batman

    “You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

  6. #12486
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yes, the comics are awesome. I bought and read them long before the show came out. I actually double dipped the singles and trades. Didn't know there are library editions.
    Due out in September. Right now there is only the OOP uber expensive slipcase editions for hardcovers.

  7. #12487
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Due out in September. Right now there is only the OOP uber expensive slipcase editions for hardcovers.
    Cool. Thanks
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

    “Everything’s impossible until somebody does it.” – Batman

    “You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

  8. #12488
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    5,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    My only familiarity with Umbrella Academy is the Netflix show, but I was wondering if anyone feels ordering the library edition's are worth it?
    i liked the show enough that I don't balk at spending €20 a volume or whatever. But is the comic worth picking up? Cheers.
    I love the comics but very much disliked the show. It lacked that "zing" and tightness the books had. I've found it unnecessarily bloated and stretched out with some plot elements swapped around resulting in a more convoluted and less effective story.
    Gerald Way and Gabriel Ba's original work is snappy, fast paced, not meandering, weird, groovy but melancholic at points.
    It's like a mash up of Watchmen (melancholic deconstruction) and Morrison's Doom Patrol (weird and quirky with screwed up family dynamic) dipped into glam punk rock syrup (it has that punk rock/emo vibe to it but it also want's to be a fancy superhero book which was kinda what My Chemical romance did. Punk romanticism).

    Also I love Ba's stylized artwork. It's like a slightly more cartoony Mignola.

  9. #12489
    Fantastic Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    479

    Default

    They sound like solid endorsements to me.

  10. #12490
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I just noticed a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming. I only have the very first two trades and 1910. I think the movie scared me away. What HC set collects all of them?

  11. #12491
    Astonishing Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    I just noticed a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming. I only have the very first two trades and 1910. I think the movie scared me away. What HC set collects all of them?
    Theres no complete set as DC retain the rights to the first two volumes and Black Dossier and Vol.3-4 are put out by Top Shelf.

    DC put out an Omnibus of their material recently though, and theres older Absolute Editions.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 06-07-2019 at 04:51 AM.

  12. #12492
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    5,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    I just noticed a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming. I only have the very first two trades and 1910. I think the movie scared me away. What HC set collects all of them?
    Vol 1 and 2 along with black dossier which I think is vol 3 should be in the new omnibus. Top shelf put out a standard size HC collecting all 3 volumes of Century (it's called LoEG century ). Then there is the Nemo spin off which is collected in 3 standard sized hcs and they've also put them out in a slipcase too.
    Don't let the movie scare you away, it's a wastly different story basically only the premise is the same and then nothing else.
    Black dossier is a bit weird but overall IMO it's an excellent series.

  13. #12493
    Spectacular Member T.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    I just noticed a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming. I only have the very first two trades and 1910. I think the movie scared me away. What HC set collects all of them?
    As mentioned above, there's no complete set of the whole series due to rights issues between DC and Top Shelf. They've been released in various formats over the years, but the complete story from start to finish is:

    LOEG Vol. 1
    LOEG Vol. 2
    LOEG: The Black Dossier
    LOEG Vol. 3: Century (A trilogy that includes 1910, 1969, and 2009)
    LOEG Vol. 4: Tempest (The final LOEG series, and what Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill claim to be the final comic they will ever make)

    There's also a spinoff trilogy following the second Captain Nemo:

    Nemo: Heart of Ice
    Nemo: The Roses of Berlin
    Nemo: River of Ghosts

    I have the whole series in standard sized hardcovers; I like having them all the same trim-size. DC recently released the Jubilee Edition of the Omnibus which is an oversized hardcover collecting Vol. 1, 2, and The Black Dossier. It's a very weird series and a controversial one, but I genuinely love it despite the flaws.
    Last edited by T.D.; 06-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.

  14. #12494
    Fantastic Member tv horror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I love the comics but very much disliked the show. It lacked that "zing" and tightness the books had. I've found it unnecessarily bloated and stretched out with some plot elements swapped around resulting in a more convoluted and less effective story.
    Gerald Way and Gabriel Ba's original work is snappy, fast paced, not meandering, weird, groovy but melancholic at points.
    It's like a mash up of Watchmen (melancholic deconstruction) and Morrison's Doom Patrol (weird and quirky with screwed up family dynamic) dipped into glam punk rock syrup (it has that punk rock/emo vibe to it but it also want's to be a fancy superhero book which was kinda what My Chemical romance did. Punk romanticism).

    Also I love Ba's stylized artwork. It's like a slightly more cartoony Mignola.

    I never read the comics and came upon the show by accident, however could someone explain to me where and when the scene of Hargreaves with his dying wife happens? The thing that threw me off was the rockets or missiles going up into the air, what did this mean, thanks.
    Hail Hydra!

  15. #12495
    Mighty Member Hellboydce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I never read the comics and came upon the show by accident, however could someone explain to me where and when the scene of Hargreaves with his dying wife happens? The thing that threw me off was the rockets or missiles going up into the air, what did this mean, thanks.
    I’m not sure it was explained (unless I missed something) perhaps it will be part of season 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •