Page 266 of 865 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316366766 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    It's hard to tell from that small pic but that LOEG book doesn't look oversized.

Looking up the dimensions on Amazon (not very reliable I know) confirms it to be a regular trim book.
    I kind of agree with you in fact, although according to the dimension of its cover it is "larger than a standard North American comic". If in term of shelf display it has obviously its importance , I am more interesting in knowing if the interior art also is significantly oversized.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Too bad more dredd isnt in a nice hc book, i was looking to grab some of the mega collection hardbacks but the website is really ambiguous about how the orders work and where they will be on sale. Lets just hope they put out some standard hcs some time i could live with that!
    Interestingly enough, someone on the 2000AD forums discovered that, according to Amazon, a hardback edition of the very first Case Files volume is being released in August later this year in celebration of a ten years of that series of books. The one particularly exciting piece of news is that, like the first Mek Files volume, this volume will see the colour spreads being restored and reprinted, and I presume it will also be slightly oversized like the Mek Files too. The less exciting news is that it's listed as a "special edition", which, taken together with the idea of it celebrating the series, implies that it's a one-off and not something to be continued. And yet I am hopeful, as it seems very strange that they'd only take the first book and reprint its colour spreads in a nicer edition instead of using such an opportunity to compile a "best of" sort of book. Hopefully we'll hear some more specific details soon. Although I'm sure those who have been buying the series wouldn't be too happy about double dipping, I personally would in a heart beat, especially for the early volumes.

EDIT: Here's the Amazon page by the way: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-...rhf_gw_p_img_1

As I said on the forums, I wouldn't even mind if this were expanded to similar series' in the future if it does continue after this one volume.
    Last edited by Endsville; 02-01-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    New this week:

"Attentäter" (assassin) is the story of Gavrilo Princip, the man who killed the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914, thereby causing the outbreak of the First World War. "Charly 9" is abozt Charles IX of France, under whose reign one of the worst massacres in European history took place, the infamous St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. Both books blew me away - especially the latter whose at first sight weird mixing of comedy (there's even a nod to Morris' Lucky Luke) and serious historical facts (it's a massacre, after all) perfectly underlines the mental instability of said king. Highly recommended (and hopefully picked up soon by an English-language publisher).
    Wow, what is the book about Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    I wanted to ask same question, taking Poland has a lot o history and not a good one with Ukraine and all things going on with country right now.

"Berichte aus der Ukraine" (Reports/stories from the Ukraine) is by Italian author/artist Igort (who founded the artist's group Valvoline together with people like Lorenzo Mattotti in the 1970s/1980s). He spent several months in the Ukraine in 2008/2009 and collected stories from Ukranians about the country's past (and apparently present), e.g. from survivors of the "Holodomor", a famine that was intentionally started by Stalin and which caused the deaths of millions of Ukranians. Haven't read it yet but very much looking forward to it.

There's also a 'sequel' called "Reports from Russia" which deals e.g. with the Gulag system, the massacre of Beslan but also with the corruption and abuse of power under Putin today, amongst other things.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 02-01-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Oh, ok , so it's about Big Hunger event. I'm really interested now. Love stories like that, Solzenicyn's The Gulag Archipelago is one of my favourtie books - seriously, read it, it's huge, I think it's the biggest book I've ever read but it's totally worth the effort and time. Really shows the reality of Soviet Russia, war, Gulag system and I used to read a lot books like that: memories of people who survived death camps and gulags, war stories like James Jones books or The Naked and the Dead by Mailer, just love those big stories.

In regard to the oversized talk going on, it can be somewhat complicated. When it's in regard to the US comic industry, there is a general HC size that is considered normal dimensions and anything larger than that is considered "oversized". Of course, that is in regard to size of the book and doesn't 100% represent the actual size of the art within. When someone is excited about one of their favorite stories being displayed in the oversize format, they're looking forward to the art being enlarged to a size that fans believe the work deserves.

So when Vark mentions his curiosity to the size of the Locke & Key Master Editions, they are indeed oversized, but that only reflects what the dimensions of the book will be. It doesn't 100% guarantee that the art will be oversized as well or if it is, by how much. Though, I would imagine, the art will more than likely be oversized.

Take the recent X-O Manowar Omnibus as an example. The book itself is oversized, but the art inside isn't. I'm not sure if the art is enlarged at all, but it doesn't fill the pages like you would assume it should.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Uh, no. What I said is the general consensus here that pretty much everyone understands. A comic size tpb of Lone Wolf and Cub is not oversized because it the original tpbs were released in digest size.

Unfortunately tone often gets lost in the printed word, so don't take that statement as me being a dick to you.
    I guess it depends on the context of the question. If someone asks if it's the normal oversized format, than no. If someone asks if it's oversized in comparison to the normal manga dimensions, it is.

Yes it's a pretty good summary of what's confusing for me

Quote Originally Posted by Endsville View Post
    Interestingly enough, someone on the 2000AD forums discovered that, according to Amazon, a hardback edition of the very first Case Files volume is being released in August later this year in celebration of a ten years of that series of books. The one particularly exciting piece of news is that, like the first Mek Files volume, this volume will see the colour spreads being restored and reprinted, and I presume it will also be slightly oversized like the Mek Files too. The less exciting news is that it's listed as a "special edition", which, taken together with the idea of it celebrating the series, implies that it's a one-off and not something to be continued. And yet I am hopeful, as it seems very strange that they'd only take the first book and reprint its colour spreads in a nicer edition instead of using such an opportunity to compile a "best of" sort of book. Hopefully we'll hear some more specific details soon. Although I'm sure those who have been buying the series wouldn't be too happy about double dipping, I personally would in a heart beat, especially for the early volumes.

EDIT: Here's the Amazon page by the way: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-...rhf_gw_p_img_1

As I said on the forums, I wouldn't even mind if this were expanded to similar series' in the future if it does continue after this one volume.
    Great news and thanks for the link.

Fantastic Member

"Berichte aus der Ukraine" (Reports/stories from the Ukraine) is by Italian author/artist Igort (who founded the artist's group Valvoline together with people like Lorenzo Mattotti in the 1970s/1980s). He spent several months in the Ukraine in 2008/2009 and collected stories from Ukranians about the country's past (and apparently present), e.g. from survivors of the "Holodomor", a famine that was intentionally started by Stalin and which caused the deaths of millions of Ukranians. Haven't read it yet but very much looking forward to it.

There's also a 'sequel' called "Reports from Russia" which deals e.g. with the Gulag system, the massacre of Beslan but also with the corruption and abuse of power under Putin today, amongst other things.
    Sounds interesting. I hope there is an information that not only Ukrainians died from Holodomor but Russians as well - there were no food in Soviet Union at all in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsville View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    Ten years ago, Rebellion published the first of the Judge Dredd - Complete Case Files with the lofty aim of collecting every episode ever printed in chronological order. From epic series like The Apocalypse War to Necropolis and beyond, twenty-five volumes have been printed to date, with the series going from strength to strength. To celebrate ten decades of this mighty tome, Case Files One is being released as a hardback edition, complete with original colour centre spreads and pages by such esteemed artists as Brian Bolland, Mick McMahon and Ian Gibson. If you never sampled Judge Dredd first time round, this is a perfect starting point.

Man, how time flies.

Hmmm, it says 'paperback' thou...

Mighty Member

2000AD seem to have upped their HC game recently. Not only bigger ABC, Dredd or Slaine stories but also monthly series and such.

Not to mention the partwork HC:s. Am I gonna buy some of those, YES I am

Hope Chopper will see a proper collection of stories. Un American graffiti to Song of the surfer. None of the Ennis' stuff.

Sounds interesting. I hope there is an information that not only Ukrainians died from Holodomor but Russians as well - there were no food in Soviet Union at all in these times.
    About halfway through it and as suggested by its title, only Ukranian eye witnesses are included (however, there's the above-mentioned follow-up based on Igort's travels through Russia).

Interestingly, it was published in 2010 but has people already saying things like "Putin will invade the Ukraine soon" or "there is an issue about Sewastopol" or "the country is split between pro-Westerners and pro-Russians", which in the light of recent events is a bit eerie (if perhaps not for Ukranians or Russians themselves who have/had more of an insight anyway).

Fantastic Member

About halfway through it and as suggested by its title, only Ukranian eye witnesses are included (however, there's the above-mentioned follow-up based on Igort's travels through Russia).

Interestingly, it was published in 2010 but has people already saying things like "Putin will invade the Ukraine soon" or "there is an issue about Sewastopol" or "the country is split between pro-Westerners and pro-Russians", which in the light of recent events is a bit eerie.
    Yeah, that's true: people on the east and on the west of Ukraine are different; but this is not a surprise if remember a history of these lands. Thank you anyway, it looks like an interesting book!