Page 624 of 865 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627628634674724 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    So I finished The Fadeout. Yeah. Uh... I generally love everything Brubaker and Phillips do together. I buy everything they do without question. But this was not good. I don't get what all the praise is for. It was pretty straightforward and no where near as good as previous work these two have done, and even compared to other noir done by other people, it wasn't very good. I dunno. Maybe I'm being too harsh, maybe I had too high expectations especially after Fatale, but I was pretty disappointed. It's a gorgeous hardcover though. I'll give it that much.
    I agree. It's probably their weakest work.

It's not bad. In fact the art is probably the best Phillips has put out, and the actual writing is tight and characters are so real, but the plot of the whole thing is just dull and fell flat. It's probably one of the most(if not the most) realistic story they've done, which is cool, but it also goes on about 2-4 issues too long.

BANNED

I just did my first Kickstarter funding and bought the slipcase edition of Blood Songs from Ben Templesmith.

Does anyone know if he will ever do a reprint of the Dagon Kickstarter book?

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post

It's not bad. In fact the art is probably the best Phillips has put out, and the actual writing is tight and characters are so real, but the plot of the whole thing is just dull and fell flat. It's probably one of the most(if not the most) realistic story they've done, which is cool, but it also goes on about 2-4 issues too long.
    I think one of the reason's the art is so good is Breitwesier's coloring. She does absolutely incredible work. Anyway, I liked TFO a lot, but I'm a bit of classical Hollywood nerd, so really appreciated the setting and the tone. But I can see why it's not super popular among fans.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I thought the Fadeout was perfectly measured and it felt authentic. I believe that old Hollywood worked that way and all the characters felt fleshed out. I also have to jump on The Sherrif of Babylon bandwagon. So sad and so brutal. I think the Fadeout and The Sherrif are big budget movie ready.

Incredible Member

I agree with all of this. Ultimately, it fell flat for me. It was so earnest and straight... both words that mean boring to me. I may revisit it again later, after some time has passed, but right now, it doesn't seem likely my opinion will change much.

Got myself 5 HC's of WW, heard good things about this run, one of the best from New 52. I know Absolutes are coming but for 33 quid who would say no. First two volumes are worth around 40 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    I just did my first Kickstarter funding and bought the slipcase edition of Blood Songs from Ben Templesmith.

Does anyone know if he will ever do a reprint of the Dagon Kickstarter book?
    That's the problem with Kickstarter, shipping cost outside US is just too much. I would have supported many projects but then I'll have to add almost half for shipping. Not worth it.
    Last edited by lvizzz; 11-02-2016 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    I think one of the reason's the art is so good is Breitwesier's coloring. She does absolutely incredible work. Anyway, I liked TFO a lot, but I'm a bit of classical Hollywood nerd, so really appreciated the setting and the tone. But I can see why it's not super popular among fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I thought the Fadeout was perfectly measured and it felt authentic. I believe that old Hollywood worked that way and all the characters felt fleshed out. I also have to jump on The Sherrif of Babylon bandwagon. So sad and so brutal. I think the Fadeout and The Sherrif are big budget movie ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    I agree with all of this. Ultimately, it fell flat for me. It was so earnest and straight... both words that mean boring to me. I may revisit it again later, after some time has passed, but right now, it doesn't seem likely my opinion will change much.
    It was interesting, and obviously a personal story that Bru really wanted to tell. It also really reminded me of the Coen Brother's Hail, Caesar! film. I just kinda feel like Bru's writing, while getting better and tighter and more refined, is also suffering from the story or story arcs being a tad too long. Like Fatale, I felt every story arc was about 1 issue too long.

Terminal City LE on the way at last, may stick this straight on the top of my 'to read' list, I hope it has stood the test of time

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It was interesting, and obviously a personal story that Bru really wanted to tell. It also really reminded me of the Coen Brother's Hail, Caesar! film. I just kinda feel like Bru's writing, while getting better and tighter and more refined, is also suffering from the story or story arcs being a tad too long. Like Fatale, I felt every story arc was about 1 issue too long.
    I think personal is the key and I also think it helps to be an old Hollywood legend/film buff. I think it played into my appreciation for old black and white movies and Hollywood legends. Separate note, I am always so impressed with Image Hardcovers!

It is definitely the pitch-black flipside to Hail Caesar!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I think personal is the key and I also think it helps to be an old Hollywood legend/film buff. I think it played into my appreciation for old black and white movies and Hollywood legends. Separate note, I am always so impressed with Image Hardcovers!
    I really liked the setting as well, loved Hail Caesar too. Also I think it's just really engaging the way they tell their stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    That's the problem with Kickstarter, shipping cost outside US is just too much. I would have supported many projects but then I'll have to add almost half for shipping. Not worth it.
    Yeah I had to pay 20$ for shipping, but I <3 Vikings.

BANNED

I thought fade out was great. Unlike some of the other works by the same creators this was more my kind of thing then some of their other works. I think its mostly a matter of taste then anything else. I also thought all the articles and extras was something of the best things about it both in single and collected format.

Incredible Member

Latest.