Page 431 of 865 FirstFirst ... 331381421427428429430431432433434435441481531 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,465 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    Of the stuff thats currently unavailable (IMO): The Hermetic Garage (and it's two sequels "The man from the Ciguri" and "Le Chasseur Deprime"), 40 Days dans le Desert B, Arzach (and it's untranslated sequel "Arzak: L'Arpenteur"), The Long Tomorrow, The Inside Moebius series (6 volumes, while the art is rough in the early volumes the art in the later volumes is glorious). The edena saga (6 volumes of which 1 is untranslated at this time) and of course Blueberry (anything from The Lost Dutchman's Mine onward is great and the early stuff is still very fun to read). There's also all the short stories from the Metal Hurlant/heavy metal era.
    wow that's a lot of stuff. I'm most excited about Blueberry but of course interested in the others as well. Hopefully DH will keep up their good price-quality ratio and not gonna try to cash in on Moebius too much.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    I've just ordered the new box set... Never read nothing on Usagi Yojimbo so I wanted to start from the beginning.
    That's what I was thinking as well!

ShooCat, thanks for the feedback.

Moebius, sweet!

As someone mentioned earlier, don't get your hopes up just yet regarding Blueberry. I don't think that is going to be part of the collection - on the one hand because it's "Giraud", on the other hand because I'm pretty sure they would publish it as its own series.

Epic published Blueberry under the Moebius name but you're right that the should make the distinction between the Moebius stuff and Blueberry because they're very different from each other. Epic did publish Blueberry in it's own distinct series so I'd assume Dark Horse will do the same if they also have the rights to that work.

All-New Member

Blueberry is not Moebius stuff, it's Jean Giraud stuff

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

C
    Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    Of the stuff thats currently unavailable (IMO): The Hermetic Garage (and it's two sequels "The man from the Ciguri" and "Le Chasseur Deprime"), 40 Days dans le Desert B, Arzach (and it's untranslated sequel "Arzak: L'Arpenteur"), The Long Tomorrow, The Inside Moebius series (6 volumes, while the art is rough in the early volumes the art in the later volumes is glorious). The edena saga (6 volumes of which 1 is untranslated at this time) and of course Blueberry (anything from The Lost Dutchman's Mine onward is great and the early stuff is still very fun to read). There's also all the short stories from the Metal Hurlant/heavy metal era.
    I have only seen images from the BBC documentary, Dune, other stuff online, and maybe stuff from Heavy Metal from random issues here and there. Is the Blueberry Jonah Hex good, story wise, I know Moebius is one of a kind in the art department.

The Lost Dutcmans Mine is an old story from the Southwest. I heard he lived in the Mexican desert, I wonder if that's where he heard the legend.

Toying with the idea of getting the Judge Dredd mega collection, yay or nay? Or should I just wait two years and pick up the whole collection off eBay for a fraction of the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Toying with the idea of getting the Judge Dredd mega collection, yay or nay? Or should I just wait two years and pick up the whole collection off eBay for a fraction of the price?
    Its kinda hard to say. Its a good way for a new reader to pick and choose some of the best of Dredd, but at the same time its also a bit of a hodge podge since they group stuff together by theme. So not eeeeverything in a collection is good and if your reading in release order the timeline jumps around. (Which is never as big a deal as in say Marvel/DC, but still...)
    The builds themselves are good, just unfortunate theyre not oversized.

Its really a toss up between them and the Case Files imo. Or you could just pick up some individual trades/HCs.
    It all just depends on how and what you wanna read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Its kinda hard to say. Its a good way for a new reader to pick and choose some of the best of Dredd, but at the same time its also a bit of a hodge podge since they group stuff together by theme. So not eeeeverything in a collection is good and if your reading in release order the timeline jumps around. (Which is never as big a deal as in say Marvel/DC, but still...)
    The builds themselves are good, just unfortunate theyre not oversized.

Its really a toss up between them and the Case Files imo. Or you could just pick up some individual trades/HCs.
    It all just depends on how and what you wanna read.
    Cheers for the detailed answer, have just ordered issue 1 off the hachette website as you can still get it for £2.49 (including postage) so can't moan at that.

Probably like most UK readers 2000AD holds a special place in my heart as it was the first comic I read, just wondering after all these years if it will hold up, as it was what? 6 pages of story a week, which had to have a cliffhanger ending every issue, must be about 20 years at least since I read any Dredd, is the later stuff a bit more sophisticated?

What had actually got me interested in this is a review of the first issue 'America' that claims it's up the with TDKR, a lofty claim, when all the sticks in my mind is Dredd's 'Wobot' Walter
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 10-08-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Cheers for the detailed answer, have just ordered issue 1 off the hachette website as you can still get it for £2.49 (including postage) so can't moan at that.

Probably like most UK readers 2000AD holds a special place in my heart as it was the first comic I read, just wondering after all these years if it will hold up, as it was what? 6 pages of story a week, which had to have a cliffhanger ending every issue, must be about 20 years at least since I read any Dredd, is the later stuff a bit more sophisticated?

What had actually got me interested in this is a review of the first issue 'America' that claims it's up the with TDKR, a lofty claim, when all the sticks in my mind is Dredd's 'Wobot' Walter
    The original America story is really good, but other Dredd stories, the few I've read didn't impress me at all.

Yeah Dredd evolves as it goes along. America was actually the start of "modern Dredd" and when it began to deal more serious issues and the like. (Its great, but its kinda wierd in that like TDKR its a good intro but you also get more out of it with a broader knowledge of the mythos. But for £2.49...and with the follow ups bundled in.,.)
    Dredds also gone through something of a rennaissance in recent years. Most notebly with the biggest mega epic to date; Day of Chaos, and the likes of Trifecta and Dark Justice. Well worth checking out.
    Though thats not to say pre-America stuff isnt worth reading. (Blockmania/Apocalypse War, Judge Death Lives...)

Though, even at its most serious Dredd still remains a book thats ultimatly satirical. So its worth keeping that in mind. If something seems stupid or out of place; its most likley intentional.

It retains the 8 page format to this day, but its one that serves it well imo. It basically results in there being very little filler or padding, which can be a welcome change of pace.
    Occationally i bing read a load of 2000AD, then go back to Marvel and think "why the f### did that story take 20 pages!?" :/
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 10-08-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Go for it, not all stories are good or even worth to remember but some of them will stick with you for long time. America is a good example, but you'll find much much more in this collection. I'd say it's 70:30 and 70 stands for good. Last 2 albums were pretty fun to read, action packed, doesn't mean it's brainless fun. Problem with Dredd is there are almost 40 years of stories with this character, and don't forget about all spin-offs, Anderson - album with her is the best in my opinion - and really hard to choose 'groundbreaking' stuff from all this mess.

I'd recommend, I'm happy with what I'm getting from Hachette, always wanted to read Dredd and now I have a chance. As it's been mentioned: it's this or Case Files.

I received the Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo paperback slipcase edition yesterday and overall its nice but I am somewhat disappointed in a few things:

- Both Volume I and II have the same cover art. I guess that is the same from the previous hardcover print but it would have been nice to have variation between the two
    - When I first took out both volumes, they each had a bent bottom corner I guess it must have happened when both volumes were put into the slipcase which is off-putting as usually it's in shipping that things get dinged up .
    - Biggest issue is that even though its glossy paper and the art looks great, the pages are quite thin so you can see the lines from the next page. It reminds of me of the King City TPB although it is worse in King City. It detracts from the art when you can see the next page and I wish they had used thicker paper. Based on an Amazon review of the previous hardcover release, this was also issue there but the reviewer says "sometimes" whereas I am noticing it on pretty much every page.

Otherwise the stories themselves are fantastic and its nice to have the entire run collected now up to Volume 4 released so far via Darkhorse.

Just finished reading Incognito and I can't believe how much fun I'm having recently reading comics. Book is great, Watchmen-ish stuff and original at the same time, but I've wouldn't expected anything less from Brubaker/Phillips duo. I have to get Sleeper at some point.

And next month another signing at Gosh!, this time with Opena and Remender. Maybe I should get those Fear Agent books wich all of you have...What would you recommend from Remender, I've got his Punisher omni and it's quite good, specially Franken-Castle.