Page 820 of 865 FirstFirst ... 320720770810816817818819820821822823824830 ... LastLast
Results 12,286 to 12,300 of 12974

I think that you're right about Deathnote. I would definitely read it, but avoid the films. I don't know if the anime is any good though. I finally started reading Akira on Tuesday after getting the anniversary set when it came out, I just finished V2 :P

Also, Message to Adolf is on my list too
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Amazing Member

Planetes is amazing, one of best manga series I have ever read.

I personally would avoid Death Note, the first half is really good but then it just becomes the same thing over and over again across multiple volumes.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Bit of a Manga question to follow up on what I was asking about before, if you don't mind. I narrowed down the titles I feel most confident to check out, but I have some maybe's as well, if anyone can speak to their quality.

I'm most confident in "20th Century Boys", "Akira", "Battle Angel Alita", "Berserk", "Death Note", "JoJo", "Monster", "Vagabond" & "Vinland Saga".

The one's I'm more on the fence with are "A Silent Voice", "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Ghost in the Shell", "Knights of Sidonia", "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", "Planetes", "Pluto" & "Tokyo Ghoul".

Does anyone have any reason to avoid or get any of those titles? Cheers.
    I personally think 20th Century Boys is a masterpiece, one of the best comics I ever read. It's futuristic, nostalgic, with lots of drama and trauma but with some fun and rock and roll too. A must read.
    And I agree with the other guy here, Death Note has a great first half but a boring second half. The ending could happened lots of books before...
    Nausicaa is a pretty book with a good story if you like fantasy!

I'm definitely interested in a good horror and Ito looks like he has 3 nice HC collections. Is Uzumaki the best?
    I have those three HCs -- Tomie, Uzumaki, and Gio -- and they are very nice. I've only read Tomie and Gio, and enjoyed both quite a bit. They're both disgusting and terrifying. I'd say Tomie is the better of the two.

Mighty Member

Bit of a Manga question to follow up on what I was asking about before, if you don't mind. I narrowed down the titles I feel most confident to check out, but I have some maybe's as well, if anyone can speak to their quality.

I'm most confident in "20th Century Boys", "Akira", "Battle Angel Alita", "Berserk", "Death Note", "JoJo", "Monster", "Vagabond" & "Vinland Saga".

The one's I'm more on the fence with are "A Silent Voice", "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Ghost in the Shell", "Knights of Sidonia", "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", "Planetes", "Pluto" & "Tokyo Ghoul".

Does anyone have any reason to avoid or get any of those titles? Cheers.
    I'd recommend adding Mobile Suit Gundam: Origin to your short list. I haven't dabbled in much manga, but this series was excellent.

Also, i believe Death Note has that 2400 page single volume paperback available if you're up for a challenge lol. It's only like $40 msrp
    Last edited by awayne83; 11-02-2018 at 11:50 PM.

The easiest way to check out Nausicaa is to watch the movie. I haven't read the manga yet (have it tho) but bought on based on how much I liked the anime and many people told me the story in the anime is only like a quarter of the manga's (so it's not like you will experience the exact same plot).

I would also vote for Gundam origin but I love mechs. If you like people battling with big robot suits Gundam origin is definitely one to check out. Great art and action and it's a pretty bleak war story on top of that.

As for Death note...I was very disappointed. It's not horrible but it felt like it was just running around in circles between 2 or 3 locations. When it picked up it was really exciting but inbetween it's just loads of exposition with not much character work.

One of my recent reads I was very very satisfied with was All you need is kill. You can get the 2 in 1 edition for like £10/$10 or even less, it's only one book and it's a really nice alien invasion version of Groundhog Day (the excellent Tom Cruise-Emily Blunt movie Edge of tomorrow was based on this).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    The easiest way to check out Nausicaa is to watch the movie. I haven't read the manga yet (have it tho) but bought on based on how much I liked the anime and many people told me the story in the anime is only like a quarter of the manga's (so it's not like you will experience the exact same plot).

I would also vote for Gundam origin but I love mechs. If you like people battling with big robot suits Gundam origin is definitely one to check out. Great art and action and it's a pretty bleak war story on top of that.

As for Death note...I was very disappointed. It's not horrible but it felt like it was just running around in circles between 2 or 3 locations. When it picked up it was really exciting but inbetween it's just loads of exposition with not much character work.

One of my recent reads I was very very satisfied with was All you need is kill. You can get the 2 in 1 edition for like £10/$10 or even less, it's only one book and it's a really nice alien invasion version of Groundhog Day (the excellent Tom Cruise-Emily Blunt movie Edge of tomorrow was based on this).
    God damn it, I bought it.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    God damn it, I bought it.
    Which one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Which one ?
    All You Need is Kill :P

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of BPRD Hell on Earth 2 WITHOUT the misprint?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    All You Need is Kill :P
    nice. I don't think you will regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of BPRD Hell on Earth 2 WITHOUT the misprint?
    Instocktrades has it.I know because they sent me a replacement in an order recently.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.