Page 679 of 865 FirstFirst ... 179579629669675676677678679680681682683689729779 ... LastLast
Results 10,171 to 10,185 of 12974
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

And if you want the best right now, go buy the first two deluxe volumes of East of West. Pure awesomeness!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    And if you want the best right now, go buy the first two deluxe volumes of East of West. Pure awesomeness!
    but it's not finished. Not even nearly. That's why I didn't recommend Invincible either. Although the single issues are almost done.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    but it's not finished. Not even nearly. That's why I didn't recommend Invincible either. Although the single issues are almost done.
    True, it's not finished, but if he wants to read the best, then EoW is the best.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    There's only one more hardcover to go...I'd call that nearly.

Mighty Member

True, it's not finished, but if he wants to read the best, then EoW is the best.
    Lazarus called, said it wants its title back

Just to throw some other recommendations out there: the Massive (2 LEs) and Wasteland (5 OHCs) are both very good in their own distinct ways

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post

Just to throw some other recommendations out there: the Massive (2 LEs) and Wasteland (5 OHCs) are both very good in their own distinct ways
    Lazarus is great too, but I think EoW is the best right now.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post

Sorry, EoW is not the best, not even close. It's good, but like most Hickman titles there's no heart, no connection to the characters. It's just cold and soulless.

Lazarus is wonderful. It keeps getting better. Bummed Lark is taking a break but the 6 one shots should be pretty interesting.

Wasteland was a weird one. I think the first book and the last two books are the best, books two and three, and some of four are just paced so odd. And there were a couple sub plots I didn't care for. Actually, the whole backstory in the last book I found incredibly interesting and kind of would have liked that.

But to chime in on other series. Keatinge's Glory was great. Alex + Ada was interesting, but a little drawn out. Stray Bullets Uber Alles was phenomenal. Fatale. Velvet.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Can anybody recommend some stand alone omnibus/compendiums? I have a bunch of series that I am working my way through, but its not nice to sometimes just have something else. I'm not after a series, something where I could literally read that omnibus and understand what is happening without research :P
    Stand alone books:

Punk Rock Jesus
    Strange Girl
    March books 1-3
    Satellite Sam
    Glory
    Gotham Central
    Essex County
    Fatale v1-2
    Izombie

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Stand alone books:

Punk Rock Jesus
    Strange Girl
    March books 1-3
    Satellite Sam
    Glory
    Gotham Central
    Essex County
    Fatale v1-2
    Izombie
    Oooh Punk Rock Jesus was awesome, completely forgot about that one. Daytripper too.

And add one for IZombie, that was a pleasant surprise, and Satellite Sam as fun too, reminded me of The Fade Out a lot. And Gotham Central is solid.

I need to check out the March books.

I was looking at Planetary, but I ended up ordering the first two DE volumes of Fables, which is a series. Fail. Thanks for the suggestions, but Fables has been a temptation for a long time and I gave in :P A lot to note down for the future though
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Mighty Member

I asked about this series months ago when i saw someone post the French versions. Looks like we are getting two English HC collections (collecting books 0-2 and 3-5 respectively). Should have figured with the movie and all, but you never know.

https://www.amazon.com/Valerian-Comp...442QZ7KQQ4ZK6W

https://www.amazon.com/Valerian-Comp...K0XHGA76H3MM0K

Spectacular Member

I was looking at Planetary, but I ended up ordering the first two DE volumes of Fables, which is a series. Fail. Thanks for the suggestions, but Fables has been a temptation for a long time and I gave in :P A lot to note down for the future though
    If you haven't read any of the titles mentioned above you're basically missing what comics are meant to be. To each his own and all that but still...

I don't agree with that, I don't think that anybody can decide which comics are what are comics are 'meant to be' :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Spectacular Member

I don't agree with that, I don't think that anybody can decide which comics are what are comics are 'meant to be' :P
    You're definitely right.

Fables is a strong choice either way.

Ye, I love the concept. The problem I find in comics is that there is just so much out there that I want to read, and a limited amount of time and money available to do it!