Page 124 of 865 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224624 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 12974

Awhile back, I picked up the four Grendel omnibus collections (they're called omnibus although they're smaller and in soft cover), and completed it a few nights ago.

Over the years, I've read the Grendel saga a number of times, always finding something new. I can't stress enough how incredible and before its time this series was/is. Keep in mind, though, if you want the absolute completion from beginning to end then you'll really need to get the Batman/Grendel tpb (which is not collected in the omnibus books). This particular book collects the two mini series - one with Hunter Rose and the second one with Grendel Prime. Technically, you really only need the second one as it is actually a part of the final saga of omnibus volume 4.

I wish Dark Horse would also collect the Grendel Tales stories, which weren't written by Matt Wagner, but it is what it is.

I really can't recommend this saga enough. (In fact years ago, I actually had a letter printed in one of them and the company sent me some cool swag!)

For those who have read it, I'm curious about your thoughts on it.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Me to! Shadowman is up next. I would assume we'll get a Quantum and Woody Deluxe next, or a unity one perhaps? I think it's also a given we'll get Rai in an oversized format. That art!
    I agree. The Clayton Crain art is pretty outstanding!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I agree. The Clayton Crain art is pretty outstanding!
    Thirding the hope for an oversized Rai collection. Crain is phenomenal and I just hope he stays on the book past the opening arc.

Received my Final Incal from Amazon UK today. I was surprised to find it's serial number is under 50 (of 1500). Same happened with Technopriest from Amazon US. Weird.

All-New Member

Did anyone pick up the Metal Gear Solid deluxe hardcover this week from IDW? I love the games, but never read the comic. What's the opinion on the art and writing? How's the book build quality?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Awhile back, I picked up the four Grendel omnibus collections (they're called omnibus although they're smaller and in soft cover), and completed it a few nights ago.

Over the years, I've read the Grendel saga a number of times, always finding something new. I can't stress enough how incredible and before its time this series was/is. Keep in mind, though, if you want the absolute completion from beginning to end then you'll really need to get the Batman/Grendel tpb (which is not collected in the omnibus books). This particular book collects the two mini series - one with Hunter Rose and the second one with Grendel Prime. Technically, you really only need the second one as it is actually a part of the final saga of omnibus volume 4.

I wish Dark Horse would also collect the Grendel Tales stories, which weren't written by Matt Wagner, but it is what it is.

I really can't recommend this saga enough. (In fact years ago, I actually had a letter printed in one of them and the company sent me some cool swag!)

For those who have read it, I'm curious about your thoughts on it.
    I was just looking at getting some Grendel. I read some reviews of the omnibus and I hear that they are not quite ideal since they do not go chronologically in the order the books came out. Instead they try to bundle the different iterations of Grendel together. So i've been looking into trying to read and buy it all in hardcover. I am not 100% sure (there isnt much info I have been able to find by googling), but I think it is possible to get all of it in hardcovers. Except for Grendel Batman, which is uber expensive in hardcover since it was limited to 300 copies.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I thought about buying the Grendel Omnibus and I love the Hunter Rose books in particular. The Cyborg stories didn't interest me as much. I think there are several books about Grendel's female successor too? I love the Batman books. Grendel manages to be genuinely scary and charming. I think there is a Black, White, and Red book by different creators that is terrific as well. Hunter Rose is like Ozymandias, Bullseye, David Bowie, and the Joker all in one. A sane Joker so to speak.

Default Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense 1946-1947-1948

There's another B.P.R.D. omnibus on the way for 2015:

I've been looking forward to this one for a while.
    Last edited by middenway; 08-05-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Adding a title

Amazing Member

That omnibus take place after the four Plague of Frogs Hardcovers?

Quote Originally Posted by evilomar View Post
    That omnibus take place after the four Plague of Frogs Hardcovers?
    No, long before. These stories are from the founding years of the B.P.R.D.

Hell on Earth omnibuses will come along eventually, but only after that cycle has finished.

Wow that is super awesome news. Still need to catch up with reading BPRD vol. 3 and 4 though. Guess what I'll bee doing during my holidays that started today!!

Also adding these to the pile. Dammit that Airtight Garage book looks beautiful. It's a new Dutch edition printed even larger than an absolute edition. Arq and Deadline are in Dutch too. Deadline needs to get a translation really, since it deals about a part of American history, The Civil War, August 1864.

The two graphic novels should be fantastic reads too.

BANNED

I need to ask some thoughts from my fellow collectors, this topic is mostly about the Big Two collections:What are your thoughts on TPBs? Stuff like Justice League of America by Mark Waid, or John Ostrander's Spectre or Mike Grell's Green Arrow are only avaiable via trade paperbacks, but as a collector with gazillion OHCs + Omnibuses, i feel like i wanna get rid of my TPBs and simply focus on the biggest and most deluxe stuff, anyone feel the same way? How many tpbs do you guys read?

Like, i can understand a company like Avatar or Dynamite not having enough resources to duke out Hardcovers, but that's not the case for the big two, who have both deluxe hardcovers of Batman stuff, while some Batman comics only get tpbs.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    I need to ask some thoughts from my fellow collectors, this topic is mostly about the Big Two collections:What are your thoughts on TPBs? Stuff like Justice League of America by Mark Waid, or John Ostrander's Spectre or Mike Grell's Green Arrow are only avaiable via trade paperbacks, but as a collector with gazillion OHCs + Omnibuses, i feel like i wanna get rid of my TPBs and simply focus on the biggest and most deluxe stuff, anyone feel the same way? How many tpbs do you guys read?

Like, i can understand a company like Avatar or Dynamite not having enough resources to duke out Hardcovers, but that's not the case for the big two, who have both deluxe hardcovers of Batman stuff, while some Batman comics only get tpbs.
    No, I feel like doing the opposite, I'm slowly scaling down my hardcovers in favour of chunky trades. There's still a good few hardcovers I'll buy but nearly everything I buy now is in tpb, lots of which are only available in said format.

Mainly it's planning for the future, I don't live in a Tardis so one day I'll run out of space, buying the 300-500 page trades instead of a massive hardcover helps me to conserve some room for future buys.

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

For anyone looking for reprints of The Incal and Before the Incal there will be reprints arriving on September 23rd on CGN

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/i...c-new-ptg.html
    https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/i...c-new-ptg.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post

i have far more TPB and HC than OHC (probably about a 15:1 ratio). Lately, though, I've been far more OHC. Most of my OHC are Marvel, because the glued binding on DC stuff worries me. I've never had a page fall out of one (even the Invisibles doorstop), but I hear people talking about it enough that it's a concern. Oddly enough, the one time I have had a page fall out was on a Marvel (Essential Spider-Man vol 1, but only a ToC page).

For the longest I preferred TPB because for what I'd pay to read the first Fantastic Four omnibus i could try three our four different titles in TPB. Now I just go for some balance of ease/price. Take BPRD, for example. I bought the Plague of Frogs OHC, because it was cheaper than buying all the trades and I didn't have to worry about whether they were available or not (I don't like buying used online).