Page 145 of 865 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245645 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    The Showa free comic book day issue was great, I keep meaning to pick those books up.

You inspired me to grab Blazing Combat, it's right up my alley but somehow escaped my radar. Thanks!
    Definitely get both, if you're interested in war comics. Especially Blazing Combat. It's basically a continuation of the EC war comics, just in b&w but with many of the same artists (Toth, Severin, Crandall, Wood, Williamson) and even more grown up (the series was published over 10 years after EC had disappeared). There's also a hardcover version (which is the same size and content as the softcover one, though).

Amazing Member Black Iron Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    The Showa free comic book day issue was great, I keep meaning to pick those books up.

You inspired me to grab Blazing Combat, it's right up my alley but somehow escaped my radar. Thanks!

Anyone have Wally Wood Woodwork? I would love to see pictures of that. Considering getting it since I love Woody, but looking for someone to tip my hand to spend the money.
    Yeah, Showa is excellent; can't wait for vol.3. Onward Towards our Noble Deaths is also really worth reading, covering similar ground to parts of Showa 1939-1944 (specifically Mizuki's time on New Britain Island), but in much more detail. I've also just ordered NonNonBa and Kitaro, so pretty soon I'll have all of D&Q's Mizuki books (so far)

As for Blazing Combat: great choice! It's like LJ said: it's essentially an even more cynical version of EC's war comics, and all the great EC artists are really at the top of their game (probably enjoying the freedom of not having Kurtzman dictate their layouts!).

I've actually had Woodwork in my Amazon basket since May, but keep moving it back to 'save for later'! I'm sure it's worth picking up, I just keep bumping it for other books! Have you seen the Alex Toth - Genius books?

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Definitely get both, if you're interested in war comics. Especially Blazing Combat. It's basically a continuation of the EC war comics, just in b&w but with many of the same artists (Toth, Severin, Crandall, Wood, Williamson) and even more grown up (the series was published over 10 years after EC had disappeared). There's also a hardcover version (which is the same size and content as the softcover one, though).
    I love Blazing Combat! I bought the Hardcover--great art, great stories by Archie Goodwin.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Blazing Combat hardcover is on it's way to my home right now! Showa remains in my "save for later", but it is surrounded by good company in there.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Iron Tarkus View Post
    Yeah, Showa is excellent; can't wait for vol.3. Onward Towards our Noble Deaths is also really worth reading, covering similar ground to parts of Showa 1939-1944 (specifically Mizuki's time on New Britain Island), but in much more detail. I've also just ordered NonNonBa and Kitaro, so pretty soon I'll have all of D&Q's Mizuki books (so far)

I've actually had Woodwork in my Amazon basket since May, but keep moving it back to 'save for later'! I'm sure it's worth picking up, I just keep bumping it for other books! Have you seen the Alex Toth - Genius books?
    Yeah Woodwork has been in my save for later for a while too. I want it and im sure it is amazing and I can even can can I do t own it yet. I guess I keep waiting to see it for some magical sale price that has never occurred yet. Ive seen those Toth books, and they look fascinating, but Wood is the fucking man, imo so Genius Illustrated is further down the 'to buy' line.

All the Showa books and Onward Towards are warming the bench of my save for later section as well.

Glad to see Walt Simonson's Orion getting an Omnibus!!

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Walter-S...alter+simonson

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Poindexter View Post
    Glad to see Walt Simonson's Orion getting an Omnibus!!

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Walter-S...alter+simonson
    I can't seem to get the full solicitations but I know that there are also a Wonder woman by Perez omni and a Neal Adams omni coming (and some Absolutes)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Where should I start with Marvel Cosmic comics? I guess Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus is pretty obvious but what would be next? Don't know much about events, I know there was that thing called Annihilation and that's it really.

You guys do know there is a dedicated Marvel and DC collected editions thread right? You'll get more answers and info in those threads than this one.

Woho, been waiting for this, have 2 TPB's, was planning to get whole run when I found out there's gonna be Absolute.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Absolute-Tra...politan+Vol.+1

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Has anyone read Supurbia by Grace Randolph and Russell Dauterman? It's published by BOOM! Studios and the cover of TPB v04 caught my eye. I'm mostly just curious.
    Bumping my own post from a few days ago. Has anyone ever read this title?

Fantastic Member

As usual, IST wrote my home address in a wrong way, so the package on a post became a surprise (nobody told me it has arrived few weeks ago). So here it is plus one shipping directly from Fantagraphics.

What is that Watchmen thing?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    What is that Watchmen thing?
    It's like standard IDW's Artist's Editions - big size, high-res scans from Gibbon's original b/w art, covers, sketches, etc. There are only about 150 pages here, but I love this book! It looks really beauty,

Love and Rockets! I've just finished Maggie the Mechanic but can say it's AWESOME.