Page 2 of 865 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast

Man. This new board and thread... Wild ****

Incredible Member

Today I picked up:

Incredible Member

I've been eagerly awaiting this book for months. I absolutely love Jae Lee's art. It's a shame that the binding is your typical DC mousetrap binding. Normally I'm not that picky on binding, but Lee's artwork deserves a proper binding so you can see everything. I really wish this were in OHC format. I have no idea what the story is about, but the art is just gorgeous. Can't wait to dig into it.

BANNED

That Jae Lee art is very cool. I met him once, in 1991 or so, the only convention I ever attended. Got his autograph on a Namor comic.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    I've been eagerly awaiting this book for months. I absolutely love Jae Lee's art. It's a shame that the binding is your typical DC mousetrap binding. Normally I'm not that picky on binding, but Lee's artwork deserves a proper binding so you can see everything. I really wish this were in OHC format. I have no idea what the story is about, but the art is just gorgeous. Can't wait to dig into it.
    jae lee's art on this title has been one of the best things at DC in a long time. i've been picking it up in single issues and can't wait for each issue he is on. i especially loved his work on the annual with mongul. just awesome stuff. unfortunately, the arc that had brett booth on art was DREADFUL. unless you are a fan of brett booth, enjoy a horizontal format, or have an OCD for collected edition numbering, i'd say avoid volume 2 like the plague. i was nearly done with the series entirely with my disappointment over those issues, but when the next jae lee issue came out, i couldn't help myself.
    formerly 'weeks'

Incredible Member

Over the past couple of years, I had been buying strictly from online sources, like Chapters or Amazon, because the books were so much cheaper, and maybe only buying from my LCS once a month. Sometimes books were so much cheaper that I could get an extra HC for what I saved from buying online than from the LCS. However, I've been going to my local shops more and more and I've started buying more books from the stores themselves. 1) I feel better supporting the small guys. 2) It's been frustrating having to repeatedly send books back due to damage when shipped in crappy packaging (seems to be happening more and more lately). The only way I can guarantee my books aren't damaged is by going to the LCS and inspecting them myself. 3) there's nothing like the feeling of browsing through a comic shop for a while, taking in all the sights and smells, and then walking out with a couple books in a white plastic bag. I just find it so thoroughly satisfying.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    That Jae Lee art is very cool. I met him once, in 1991 or so, the only convention I ever attended. Got his autograph on a Namor comic.
    Very cool. I don't ever really bother with autographs, and I don't really care to meet the people that I am a fan of, but Jae Lee is someone I would dearly like to meet and have sign something.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    jae lee's art on this title has been one of the best things at DC in a long time. i've been picking it up in single issues and can't wait for each issue he is on. i especially loved his work on the annual with mongul. just awesome stuff. unfortunately, the arc that had brett booth on art was DREADFUL. unless you are a fan of brett booth, enjoy a horizontal format, or have an OCD for collected edition numbering, i'd say avoid volume 2 like the plague. i was nearly done with the series entirely with my disappointment over those issues, but when the next jae lee issue came out, i couldn't help myself.
    That's unfortunate. Booth is okay sometimes, but usually I find his stuff terrible. On Amazon it says Volume 2 collects issues 5-9. Did Lee do any of those issues?

That's unfortunate. Booth is okay sometimes, but usually I find his stuff terrible. On Amazon it says Volume 2 collects issues 5-9. Did Lee do any of those issues?
    i can double check when i get home from work, but i'm pretty sure 5-7 were by brett booth and maybe 8 by kenneth rocafort. there was a big mix-up in shipping with some of the recent issues for the storyline of 'first contact' so i wouldn't be surprised if the issues for that trade get changed.
    formerly 'weeks'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    i can double check when i get home from work, but i'm pretty sure 5-7 were by brett booth and maybe 8 by kenneth rocafort. there was a big mix-up in shipping with some of the recent issues for the storyline of 'first contact' so i wouldn't be surprised if the issues for that trade get changed.
    Is that the Anita Blake guy?
    Yeah, he's really bad. I had to double check the credits and make sure it wasn't a Liefeld comic.

Fantastic Member

I have no idea what happened to the site. Oh well, new thread...new books! These are the first two of about 6 more that are coming. I've never posted an image on here before so I hope this works.

http://imgur.com/a/dSXfr

Came the Dawn is my first foray into the EC Comics Library b&w reprints. I've seen the previews Fantagraphics puts up and liked it enough to give it a try. Found this for $7 on ebay so if I like it enough im gonna upgrade to the slipcase and resell this one. Looking through it, I think the stories that Wally Wood pencils and inks himself look better than when he works with Harrison. And most of the stories are written by the (now unfortunately) late genius Al Feldstein which is great. Read through some of the little essays before and after the meat of the book and they are really interesting looks into the artist and the history of comics.

The Frank Book is something I've been looking to find for a decent price in hardcover for a while. Got this one for a bit under what an ebayer listed it for due to the distance looking a bit shabby. But really,if you're gonna make a book with a beautiful, purple cloth cover with an embossed title like that, why even have a dust jacket? Pretty excited to read both of these but I am currently making my way through Cerebus (and loving it).

BANNED

Excellent choices!

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Is that the Anita Blake guy?
    Yeah, he's really bad. I had to double check the credits and make sure it wasn't a Liefeld comic.
    i'm not positive about anita blake, but i find booth's art to be a very generic superhero style. all about big splash panels and pages. his art was a major part of the problem in the batman/superman issues, but the horizontal format of it for 3 issues added to that problem 10 fold.
    formerly 'weeks'

Hey guys, was quite surprised that the threads no longer existed when I jumped on the ipad this morning. Nor my login/avatar etc lol

I'm busy recreating the DC thread here so it can be preserved as apparently the old forums are disappearing completely in a week or something. Its taking a bit of editing but should be done reasonably soon.

Incredible Member

Thanks for getting this back up MartinNL,

My EC Comics slipcase set came through yesterday, ordered from SpeedyHen and one corner of the slipcase came all mashed up. Anyone dealt with their customer service before?

ok, so issue 5-7 is brett booth, 8 & 9 is jae lee. the annual is jae lee, kenneth rocafort, and philip tan. 5-7 is an arc with toymaster and mongul. i bailed on that halfway through issue 6. 8 starts 'first contact' which crosses over with world's finest (which i'm not reading) and continues in 10. the annual deals with mongul and warworld, not sure if it ties in at all with previous mongul story. jae lee is on two upcoming issues, but DC has recently changed the solicits and when books are shipping, i'm not positive which ones they are.

who knows how this will all be collected. but point of everything, jae lee's art has been fantastic. brett booth not so much.
    formerly 'weeks'