Page 276 of 865 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376776 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Yeah, it's sewn. Virtually all sewn bindings use glue for added support, and to attach the cloth lining. The presence of glue doesn't necesarily indicate glued binding.

Sewn bindings have "signatures" which are little partitions of paper that are folded together and then sewn:

Attachment 17531

Glued bindings just have a big block of pages glued to the spine:

Attachment 17532
    Can you zoom in with your canera on that first pic? I'm having trouble seeing the signatures from the photo.

Got my Star Wars book from TFAW nick&dent sale. Most impressive, but will be sitting in shrinkwrap and waiting when I finally find some time to read all those books. Great deal anyway, packaging was great, very sturdy box, chips inside and book was packed in another box.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Can you zoom in with your canera on that first pic? I'm having trouble seeing the signatures from the photo.
    No I can't. I spend too much money on hardcovers to be able to afford a halfway decent camera...

No I can't. I spend too much money on hardcovers to be able to afford a halfway decent camera...
    haha! The same! My phone is so cheap it doesn't even have a camera

from IDW's facebook page (I think it's news I can't remember hearing about this book before and tought some people would be interested)
    ALEX TOTH’S BRAVO FOR ADVENTURE GETS FIRST TIME DELUXE COLLECTION! COMING THIS JULY!
    San Diego, CA (February 12, 2015) – Alex Toth’s magnum opus Bravo for Adventure is being collected in book form for the first time ever! This deluxe hardcover from IDW’s Library of American Comics contains all three of The Genius’s stories starring Jesse Bravo, knock-about pilot and reluctant swashbuckler, including the original graphic novel that’s been out of print for 30 years.
    “Toth fans worldwide have been clamoring for years to see Bravo back in print,” says Dean Mullaney, editor of the new edition. “Now, by special arrangement with the Toth family, it becomes a reality. This is another one of those ‘dream’ projects that only come along once in a long while.”
    Fans delight in studying even idle doodles by Alex Toth and the collected Bravo for Adventure offers new treasures. In addition to the complete published stories, also included are never-before-seen pencil roughs, preliminary drawings, and story fragments, as well as Toth’s own coloring samples for an edition that never saw print, and—freed from storage after 40 years—some of the coloring for what was intended to be Bravo’s original 1975 first printing in France!
    “What might have been” is the common thread in Bravo’s history. Toth created the original 48-page story in 1975 for a French publisher, but the planned graphic novel never saw print when that publisher closed its comics division. The artist wanted to see the graphic novel published in America, but it sat dormant for half a decade until the story was serialized in the Warren magazine, The Rook. Six years after that, a version was published in magazine format by Dragon Lady Press in Canada, including two additional Bravo short stories. Toth then colored the first twelve pages for a Texas publisher that went out of business, and started several more swashbuckling tales, only to abandon them in frustration after a handful of pages.
    The up-and-down history of Bravo for Adventure now ends on a high note, with the complete stories in a single volume that matches the format of the multiple Eisner and Harvey Award-winning Alex Toth: Genius trilogy. It’s not just a comics collection, it’s a capital “E” Event. Alex Toth, and his greatest creation, are flying higher than ever before!
    HC, PC, 100 pp., 9.5” x 13,” $34.99, ISBN: 978-1-63140-350-7

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    from IDW's facebook page (I think it's news I can't remember hearing about this book before and tought some people would be interested)
    And there's another Alex Toth book in the Dark Horse solicitations for May 2015.

Just finished the Sculptor. It was really, really good. Still Daytripper is my favourite with this subject but Sculptor is absolutely worth a read.
    Daytripper is like the emotional state after stressfull crying. Sculptor was like the emotional state when somebody is kicking you in the ribs with good intentions

The world needs bad men RedNave's Avatar

These both showed up:

Yes that's my third copy of The Final Incal.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Just finished the Sculptor. It was really, really good. Still Daytripper is my favourite with this subject but Sculptor is absolutely worth a read.
    Daytripper is like the emotional state after stressfull crying. Sculptor was like the emotional state when somebody is kicking you in the ribs with good intentions
    so elegantly put)
    i had it pre-ordered but changed my mind (thought of picking up a digital copy), cancelled and ordered again after all the glowing reviews of the book and bad reviews of the ebook (which saved me four or five bucks as the price dropped and went back up again). apparently it sells so well that Amazon US first had "usually ships in 1-3 weeks". now it's "in stock on February 15". i really hope my reading experience will live up to the hype.
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 02-12-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNave View Post
    These both showed up:

Didn't realize the Dredd book was based on the film. Is it any good?
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Fantastic Member

These both showed up:

Since you seemingly own all the different editions of Final Incal, you'd be a good person to ask: What is up with After the Incal? This is the Moebius drawn portion of the story, correct? Is it only included in some of the editions? Is it not in the affordable version that just came out?

Is anyone backing Ben Templesmith's "Dagon" on Kckstarter? It's an adaptation of an early story by H.P. Lovecraft.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...en-templesmith

I'd love the slipcase edition but I'm kind of on the fence; mainly because of the low Canadian dollar, and high shipping cost to Canada. Also, with only 72 pages, it ends up being a dollar per page...
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 02-13-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Is anyone backing Ben Templesmith's "Dagon" on Kckstarter? It's an adaptation of an early draft by H.P. Lovecraft.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...en-templesmith

I'd love the slipcase edition but I'm kind of on the fence; mainly because of the low Canadian dollar, and high shipping cost to Canada. Also, with only 72 pages, it ends up being a dollar per page...
    This is right up my alley. Love, love, LOVE Lovecraft. I'm backing at the slipcase edition. Yeah the exchange sucks, but I want this. Seems like a perfect marriage of style and Lovecraft. I was interested in his previous Kickstarter, but never bit. But I'm buying this for sure because it's a Lovecraft story.

The world needs bad men RedNave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Didn't realize the Dredd book was based on the film. Is it any good?
    I like them, and it seems to be the closest we will ever get to seeing that version of Dredd again.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Since you seemingly own all the different editions of Final Incal, you'd be a good person to ask: What is up with After the Incal? This is the Moebius drawn portion of the story, correct? Is it only included in some of the editions? Is it not in the affordable version that just came out?
    After the Incal is the unfinished Moebius drawn version of the Final Incal, and its only in the Oversized Deluxe Edition of which only 1500 were produced. The standard hardcover and the coffee table version only include the Ladronn drawn Final Incal.

I like them, and it seems to be the closest we will ever get to seeing that version of Dredd again.

After the Incal is the unfinished Moebius drawn version of the Final Incal, and its only in the Oversized Deluxe Edition of which only 1500 were produced. The standard hardcover and the coffee table version only include the Ladronn drawn Final Incal.
    Huh, I thought it was in the Coffee table version as well? Weird that they only included it in the slipcased edition. It's not Moebius' finest work (mostly due to the horrendous colouring, but the art is pretty sloppy as well) but it's fun to see the alternate take on the first part of the story.