Page 318 of 865 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368418818 ... LastLast
Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Gillen's JiM is friggin amazing. You have to read that, you just have to.
    I start to catch Ivizz's "is there a hardcover?" syndrome

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I start to catch Ivizz's "is there a hardcover?" syndrome
    It is but only in oop PHC's. It's really worth reading though. The art is amazing, the story is wonderfull and Kid Loki is an awesome character.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I'm waiting for an Asgard kick to come when I'm gonna impulse by the Aaron ohc-s, Thor the Mighty Avenger and this JiM run, then probably gonna beat up a giant snake in a Zoo and finally grow a beard.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

hey guys! i'm just getting started with my collection and was wondering if you could recommend books that are must haves. the only thing is i'm not really interested in anything before the 2000's. of course i do make exceptions for classics (watchmen, v for vendetta, etc) which i will be getting. so far i only have waid's daredevil 1-3, y the last man 1-5, and dmz 1-3 if that tells you anything about my taste in stories. also, sorry if this isn't right place to post this? =/

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    hey guys! i'm just getting started with my collection and was wondering if you could recommend books that are must haves. the only thing is i'm not really interested in anything before the 2000's. of course i do make exceptions for classics (watchmen, v for vendetta, etc) which i will be getting. so far i only have waid's daredevil 1-3, y the last man 1-5, and dmz 1-3 if that tells you anything about my taste in stories. also, sorry if this isn't right place to post this? =/
    Punisher MAX by Ennis!!!111oneone

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Punisher MAX by Ennis!!!111oneone
    aren't most of the hc's out of print though?

100 Bullets if you enjoy DMZ. If you like The Walking Dead TV show, I think the comic is better. If you like sci-fi, then the Fear Agent Library editions are great. Anything by Brubaker. Saga is shaping up to become a classic, also by Vaughn.
    Last edited by csista; 04-28-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Mighty Member

I'm assuming you want HC recommendations? Some of the more enjoyable stuff i've read recently:

Image/Vertigo/Icon:
    Criminal
    Powers
    Casanova
    Chew
    Scalped
    Sleeper
    Fear Agent (Dark Horse)
    Lazarus

Super hero stuff:
    Ultimates
    Ultimate Spiderman
    Superior spiderman

these are in print in large trades, but are worth buying anyways imo:
    gillen's JIM
    bkv's Runaways
    bru's Immortal IF
    carey's Lucifer
    ennis' Preacher

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy Peter Panzerfaust Deluxe 1&2? I think I remember that someone said the series would be cancelled thus vol. 1&2 being not the best way to collect the hole series...But the price for vol. 2 has rised so I don't want to make a bigger mistake waiting for too long. Do or die? Thanks in advance!
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

My suggestions:
    Planetary (started in 1998 but nevermind that)
    Sleeper, Criminal, Incognito, basically anything by Brubaker
    Ex Machina, Saga
    Daytripper
    Fury My War gone by
    Hawkeye by Fraction, Sex Criminals
    Fear agent
    New Frontier
    Secret Warriors
    Punk Rock Jesus
    League of Extraordinary gentlemen
    Sandman
    Chew
    Walking Dead, Invincible
    Bendis-Brubaker Daredevil
    Anything Ennis probably. The Boys, Preacher, any Punisher you can find. Probably Welcome Back Frank is the most easiest to get and it's a nice 12 issue story that doesn't end with a cliffhanger. Aaron's Punisher Max run is really good as well, definitely in vein of Ellis'.
    Last edited by Balakin; 04-28-2015 at 02:15 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy Peter Panzerfaust Deluxe 1&2? I think I remember that someone said the series would be cancelled thus vol. 1&2 being not the best way to collect the hole series...But the price for vol. 2 has rised so I don't want to make a bigger mistake waiting for too long. Do or die? Thanks in advance!
    wait, i thought the second deluxe was never released, was it?

Mighty Member

Seems you have a good taste in books. Very Vertigo comic booky.

100BULLETS by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso.
    Very philosophical, very pulp, very mystery, very noir. Agent Graves hands out attachés with a gun, 100bullets, evidence against someone who destroyed your life and a guarantee that you can get away with anything when having used the magic gun. Consequence free revenge it seems, but it asks you the reader alot of questions. Also, why is Agent Graves handing out these attaches? One big meta/mystery story. Probably my fav. story ever.

JUDGE DREDD: America, Origins, Tour of duty, Day of Chaos, Trifecta and Dark Justice. By John Wagner among others.
    Scifi satire at it's best. Deep, funny and very hardcore (often close to horror, Dredd often being the most scary of the bunch). These later Dredd not only serves as a great jump on point, but also very relevant to alot of things that's happening today. Dredd is also a brilliant character, who only get's better the older he gets (he ages in real time. He's 70 now.). More angry and more in doubt.

Not every "hero" that has panels like this one.

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang
    A pulp greek myth nightmare. A combination of all eras of Wonder Woman, told with a Vertigo comics flare. Can be -very surprisingly/surpassingly so- grim at times, but at the same time very lovely and big on heart. It's also balls to the walls wonderfully weird at times. Raises alot of interesting questions and makes alot of interesting points. The gods are just the best and Wonder Woman makes mercy look pretty darn bad ass!

Jason Aaron & Jason Latour's Southern bastards.
    Bad ass book about a bad ass who returns home to the bad ass south, spectacular and sweaty violence ensues. First 8 will be collected soon in a Deluxe book. You could have a look at Jason Aaron's Scalped while waiting for that.

What are some good OHC's for Judge Dredd?

Excellent recommendations from the other guys.

I'd add (some less obvious ones):

Daytripper (yes it has been mentioned before but it's really really good!) (Vertigo)
    Blacksad (Dark Horse)
    Peter Pan by Regis Loisel (Soaring Penguin Press)
    Bouncer (Humanoids)
    Parker (IDW)
    Batman: Year One (DC)
    Blankets (Top Shelf)
    Habibi (Pantheon)
    Mind MGMT (Dark Horse)
    The Killer (Archaia)
    Essex County (Top Shelf)
    The Nao of Brown (SelfMadeHero)
    Aama (SelfMadeHero)
    The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil (Jonathan Cape (don't get the Picador version, since it's shrinked down!))

Also check out the first page of this thread to browse through some actual pictures of books in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    wait, i thought the second deluxe was never released, was it?
    No it was cancelled. It was solicited to contain issue #11-20, but a final arc was made with issue #21-25. Fingers crossed it will eventually happen, since I'd be gutted if I had to get them tpb's. This series was fantastic!