Page 349 of 865 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449849 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Aparo, really?! I hated his art when I was a kid, it was so motionless, almost like watching statues in musem.

I really have to use multi-quote option.....
    Aparo is awesome, he can really tell a story. Haven't read much of his work but I really like Batman and the Outsiders. If you thought Aparo is motionless what did you think of Dave Gibbons? (no disrespect but his style is very "subtle" compared to your run of the mill BIFF BANG POW artists, but I love it)

Batman by Moench and Jones - i love Jones' art, super dark and creepy, I've read it back in Poland in '95 or '96, something like that. Stories are pretty good, but this art, man, art, it's so good, one of the best Batman's version in my opinion, super long ears and almost Spawn-like cape, the best still is Breyfogles for me. I know you have money so I would recommend Gallery Edition if you're into this kind of books.

AoA Companion - I don't have it, heard and read only bad opinions.
    Definitely the Batman one. Jones' artwork is like the offspring of Mignola and McFarland's art. And the stories suit the art very well. I just hope we don't have to wait forever for a volume 2.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'm going to spend a few extra bucks and pick up FF vol 2 and Archer and Armstrong.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Busby View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'm going to spend a few extra bucks and pick up FF vol 2 and Archer and Armstrong.
    Sounds like a sound win/win.
    If you're entirely new to VALIANT I think this A&A OHC of the first 12 issues is a solid starter series. It's got humor that's well placed, action a sense of family from a few angles and various settings.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    If I were you I would consider moving out of London. It would be cheaper and less travelling and yu can get shit jobs with alright wages anywhere (of course if you have friends and family in London it's not that easy).
    I love Slott's Spider-man, can't read any other Spidey than his and probably won't read any more after he is done (except if one of my favourites sarts to write it). I loved the character since I can remember but I'm just done with his books at this point. Feels pointless to read them. Really didn't like Kraven's last hunt when I reread it a year or so ago. It tried too hard to be dark and gritty. I just rolled my eye after every page.

Problem is I like London.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    So my Zenith slipcase just arrived, which was a nice surprise as I didn't get any kind of shipping notification and the 2000 AD website says its being delivered in July to coincide with the release of the fourth book.
    Wish I liked Zenith better, so that I'd be able to justify buying the books and that slipcase. Looks mega

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Sounds like a sound win/win.
    If you're entirely new to VALIANT I think this A&A OHC of the first 12 issues is a solid starter series. It's got humor that's well placed, action a sense of family from a few angles and various settings.
    It's also really self contained. But then again I guess all the original Valiant Deluxes other than Bloodshot and Harbinger are.
    Last edited by gearsofcrabs; 05-30-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Is the cover of the Guardians OHC the same film poster one pictured on Amazon, or did they wizen up and use something less... cheap?
    Sadly Amazon is using the Movie Poster cover, however there's some sweet printed cover art on the book itself.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    It's this one...

This would be the variant cover edition by McNiven (which I hoped Amazon would get but ah well.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Sadly Amazon is using the Movie Poster cover, however there's some sweet printed cover art on the book itself.

This would be the variant cover edition by McNiven (which I hoped Amazon would get but ah well.)
    I believe the Rocket cover is direct market, and bookstores and whatnot have the movie cover ( just saw one at Barnes n Noble yesterday).
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Latest books:

Damn it. Prince Valiant has given me an appetite for classic strips. So apparently I've opened myself another comic-sinkhole for my money to disappear in.

I also completely forgot I'd put in an order for Southern Bastards 2. Bit of a shame since I was planning on switching to the Deluxe editions.
    I looked into Prince Valiant and really liked what I saw. The art looks pretty astonishing! Is PV in any way comparable to Thorgal, you'd say? Either way I placed an order for the 1st volume, since I found a decent deal for that. Hopefully this won't let my money drop down that same new comic-sinkhole...
    Last edited by MartinNL; 05-31-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Aparo is awesome, he can really tell a story. Haven't read much of his work but I really like Batman and the Outsiders. If you thought Aparo is motionless what did you think of Dave Gibbons? (no disrespect but his style is very "subtle" compared to your run of the mill BIFF BANG POW artists, but I love it)

Good point with Gibbons but I can read Watchmen any other day but can't stand Aparo's Batman - except an issue when Batman has kicked Bane's ass, that was decent art.

Just checked White Lama on Amazon and....Are those people crazy, 140 quid already. When did it go OOP?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    I looked into Prince Valiant and really liked what I saw. The art looks pretty astonishing! Is PV in any way comparable to Thorgal, you'd say? Either way I placed an order for the 1st volume, since I found a decent deal for that. Hopefully this won't let my money drop down that same new comic-sinkhole...
    Hm, they're somewhat difficult to compare since Thorgal is obviously much more "modern" than PV. But I'm certain that without PV, we would never have had Thorgal.

In the first volume of Prince Valiant Foster is still trying to find his voice, story- and artwise. The storylines are a bit more fantasy oriented at first (there's a similarity to Thorgal) and the art isn't as refined yet as later on. There's a very discernible change towards the end of the volume however, since by then Foster had been working on PV for two years.

Apart from being excellent adventure yarns that are very often set in exotic locations (another aspect PV has in common with Thorgal), something I really like about the stories is the continuity. Although each main arc of course ends at some point, there is always another one developing in the background. This makes it much more preferable to regular comic books of the time (up until and including the 60s). Come to think of it, the continuity bit is also very similar to Thorgal.

Oh yeah, and don't worry about the "sinkhole". So far I only have three volumes of PV. Okay, two more are on their way. And I got interested in Terry and the Pirates because of that, of which I now own one volume. With another on the way. Plus I bought a Captain Easy volume. And a Steve Canyon one plus one ordered, and a Tarzan by Hogarth collection. See? Nothing to worry about at all.

EDIT:

Did a quick google search:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=thorgal%...t%2C+influence

Among the first few results you find statements like "pulpy Prince Valiant inspired series Thorgal", "not hard to compare Thorgal to Prince Valiant" (in clear contrast to my first sentence above), "has the same feel to it as PV" etc so I'm obviously not the only one to notice similarities.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 05-31-2015 at 03:35 AM.

Good point with Gibbons but I can read Watchmen any other day but can't stand Aparo's Batman - except an issue when Batman has kicked Bane's ass, that was decent art.

Just checked White Lama on Amazon and....Are those people crazy, 140 quid already. When did it go OOP?
    IIRC there's gonna be a new printing of White Llama around September.

IIRC there's gonna be a new printing of White Llama around September.

Glad to hear it. Would that be same format etc?

Has Prince Valiant been published in english? I'm very interested now after you people comparing it to Thorgal.

EDIT:

Never mind, found it. And I want it now.
    Last edited by lvizzz; 05-31-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Glad to hear it. Would that be same format etc?

Has Prince Valiant been published in english? I'm very interested now after you people comparing it to Thorgal.
    that I don't know.
    PV is published by Fantagraphics in english in a quite large hc format (bigger than absolutes).