Page 356 of 865 FirstFirst ... 256306346352353354355356357358359360366406456856 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 12974
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    So Amazon UK delivered my copy of Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 3 HC(I'm still bitter about having 2 Preorders for volume 1 canceled on me ) in the worst possible packaging, it was literally in just a bubble wrap envelope, no box, no cardboard, nothing. I was livid when I saw that, by some miracle it arrived without any damage at all, angry emails were sent anyway.

Fantagraphics own the publishing rights to the first seven volumes of Usagi Yojimbo and put out a hardcover slipcase years back that goes for quite a bit on the second hand market, however it seems its getting reprinted in September but there is no concensus if its in Hardcover or Paperback, Wordery say Hardcover, Speedyhen say Hardcover, Amazon say Paperback.

Anyone seen an official announcement or solicit that confirms one way or the other?
    They delivered my copy by courier, so nothing bad happened. I thought they did this to everyone as well for such an expensive pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    So Amazon UK delivered my copy of Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 3 HC(I'm still bitter about having 2 Preorders for volume 1 canceled on me ) in the worst possible packaging, it was literally in just a bubble wrap envelope, no box, no cardboard, nothing. I was livid when I saw that, by some miracle it arrived without any damage at all, angry emails were sent anyway.

Fantagraphics own the publishing rights to the first seven volumes of Usagi Yojimbo and put out a hardcover slipcase years back that goes for quite a bit on the second hand market, however it seems its getting reprinted in September but there is no concensus if its in Hardcover or Paperback, Wordery say Hardcover, Speedyhen say Hardcover, Amazon say Paperback.

Anyone seen an official announcement or solicit that confirms one way or the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by tanim View Post
    They delivered my copy by courier, so nothing bad happened. I thought they did this to everyone as well for such an expensive pre-order.
    Yeah I had my vol. 1 shipped in a bubble wrap by amazon.de too, but luckily it arrived ok. Now I pre-order the books with cheap-comics.com, just to make sure it a. actually arrives and b. in perfect condition.

Dear fellow forum members and Tardi fans!
    On these boards I regularly read about how awesome this Tardi guy is and naturally I got interested but from what I've seen from his books it seems like they are not traditional comics, more like illustrated stories? Maybe? Maybe I just checked the wrong samples? (edit: I think I've only sampled the WWI books?)
    Can anybody compare his books to something I might be familiar with? Are they engaging reads? That's the big thing for me, it has to be engaging. Which one should I try, which gives me the best sample?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Balakin; 06-08-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Fantastic Member

Just arrived...

book.jpg
    Last edited by zevious zoquis; 06-08-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Dear fellow forum members and Tardi fans!
    On these boards I regularly read about how awesome this Tardi guy is and naturally I got interested but from what I've seen from his books it seems like they are not traditional comics, more like illustrated stories? Maybe? Maybe I just checked the wrong samples? (edit: I think I've only sampled the WWI books?)
    Can anybody compare his books to something I might be familiar with? Are they engaging reads? That's the big thing for me, it has to be engaging. Which one should I try, which gives me the best sample?
    Thanks in advance!
    No idea what you sampled but they're definitely all comics

Some of the 'War of the Trenches' stories follow the format you described, but it's only a few of them and all of them pack a devastating punch. It's one of the best Comics ever if you ask me.

The Tardi/Machette books are pretty similar to the Brubaker/Phillips Criminal stories only much darker.
    Jog has a good review of West Coast Blues that should give you an idea of what it's about.

The Adele Blanc Sec / Arctic Marauder stories are pulpy pseudo steam punk pre (and post) WW I adventure stories with Pterodactyls, Satanic Cults & Zombies running amok on the streets of Paris. They're not for everyone but they're super fun IMO.

As for what to start with; The WW I and Machette books are probably the easiest to get into, the Adele Blanc-sec stuff might be too 'French' for some people.
    Fantagraphics haven't released any of the Nestor Burma stories yet, but when they get around to it those are really fun as well. Nobody draws the streets of (post WWII) Paris quite like Tardi.
    Last edited by aaltomuoto; 06-08-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Thirded. Think we'll EVER get that third volume of Incognito?
    Was that ever discussed? I thought the series/story ended at volume 2.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Was that ever discussed? I thought the series/story ended at volume 2.
    Not sure if it's ever been discussed (honestly not sure if they can swap over to image due to it being at Icon) but the last volume definitely left the door open for more stories IMO.

Not sure if it's ever been discussed (honestly not sure if they can swap over to image due to it being at Icon) but the last volume definitely left the door open for more stories IMO.
    I think they can 'cause Icon is creator owned. But I don't think it's on the table because Brubaker and Phillips have so much going on right now.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I think they can 'cause Icon is creator owned. But I don't think it's on the table because Brubaker and Phillips have so much going on right now.

Yes, it's creator owned, so I suspect they can do what they want. I agree that there was an open ended ending, but I suspect that, that was it for the series.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yes, it's creator owned, so I suspect they can do what they want. I agree that there was an open ended ending, but I suspect that, that was it for the series.
    Either way, I'd like to see them return to it down the road. Even something as small as a one shot like they did for Criminal recently.

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    No idea what you sampled but they're definitely all comics

Some of the 'War of the Trenches' stories follow the format you described, but it's only a few of them and all of them pack a devastating punch. It's one of the best Comics ever if you ask me.

The Tardi/Machette books are pretty similar to the Brubaker/Phillips Criminal stories only much darker.
    Jog has a good review of West Coast Blues that should give you an idea of what it's about.

The Adele Blanc Sec / Arctic Marauder stories are pulpy pseudo steam punk pre (and post) WW I adventure stories with Pterodactyls, Satanic Cults & Zombies running amok on the streets of Paris. They're not for everyone but they're super fun IMO.

As for what to start with; The WW I and Machette books are probably the easiest to get into, the Adele Blanc-sec stuff might be too 'French' for some people.
    Fantagraphics haven't released any of the Nestor Burma stories yet, but when they get around to it those are really fun as well. Nobody draws the streets of (post WWII) Paris quite like Tardi.
    thanks for the detailed answer. I would probably end up buying Adele Blanc-sec and something completely different in tone (that slipcase is very tempting )

Recently got some books that have these ribbon bookmarks, which are certainly classy but otherwise useless, always in the way and worst of all, they leave a mark on the pages!
    Anybody noticed that? And not just in one book, I have at least 4-5 books with stained pages.

Incredible Member

Recently got some books that have these ribbon bookmarks, which are certainly classy but otherwise useless, always in the way and worst of all, they leave a mark on the pages!
    Anybody noticed that? And not just in one book, I have at least 4-5 books with stained pages.
    Might be helpful to mention what books...

But in general I've never noticed any issues with normally maintained ribbons leaving stains, whether they're prose or comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Might be helpful to mention what books...

But in general I've never noticed any issues with normally maintained ribbons leaving stains, whether they're prose or comic books.
    Humanoids books. Redhand, Metabarons, Unfabulous five...
    I've opened them the first time, out of shrinkwrap.

Incredible Member

Humanoids books. Redhand, Metabarons, Unfabulous five...
    I've opened them the first time, out of shrinkwrap.
    Probably an issue with the company Humanoids is using then. You should email them and let them know.