Page 386 of 865 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436486 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,790 of 12974

http://www.amazon.com/Bacchus-Omnibu...acchus+omnibus

Has someone read this series? Is it good?

Spectacular Member

I would also like to know other peoples thoughts on the Bacchus omnibus

In addition I was looking at picking up some edgar rice bourroughs tarzan and was looking for recommendations on what editions to grab . I heard mixed things about the dark horse editions, and was also curious to see if any of the titan and dark horse books overlap. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    I would also like to know other peoples thoughts on the Bacchus omnibus

In addition I was looking at picking up some edgar rice bourroughs tarzan and was looking for recommendations on what editions to grab . I heard mixed things about the dark horse editions, and was also curious to see if any of the titan and dark horse books overlap. Thanks!
    I've been reading Bacchus. It is effing excellent and worth that price. I would put it on the same level as Sandman and all those Alan Moore comics people love. It is just that good! But I better stop building hype levels that are impossible to meet xD. Just read Bacchus! You won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I've been reading Bacchus. It is effing excellent and worth that price. I would put it on the same level as Sandman and all those Alan Moore comics people love. It is just that good! But I better stop building hype levels that are impossible to meet xD. Just read Bacchus! You won't regret it!
    Wow, that is a huuuge compliment. Is really good as Sandman? Can you tell me something more what this series is about?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It's excellent. It gives the impression at the beginning that it's trying to be like Sandman, but it develops into something completely different with a great sense of humor about itself. The best stuff in the series is when it's just people sitting around with Bacchus drinking and telling stories, but the whole thing is blast. The Eye Ball Kid vs Hermes may be one of the finest fights ever done in comics, and it's an absolute farce. Bacchus gets my highest recommendation.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Wow, that is a huuuge compliment. Is really good as Sandman? Can you tell me something more what this series is about?
    Although it deals with similiar themes, it's very different than Sandman, mostly because it doesn't take itself so seriously. Bacchus, the god of wine, reappears in the modern world, and all hell starts to break loose, with other gods, Greek heroes, and complete oddballs coming out of the woodwork. But Bacchus isn't the slightest bit interested in power and glory... or anything really but sitting around drinking and telling/listening to stories. It's just a blast. I love Sandman, but I re-read Bacchus a lot more, especially the short story section like 1000 Nights of Bacchus, Doing the Islands with Bacchus, and Banged Up where it's a bunch of oddballs telling stories while Bacchus drinks, travels, and is locked in jail respectively.

Neil Gaiman would probably say that Bacchus is better than Sandman, but Neil's humble like that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Has any one at any point had, or still have the IDW issue Star Trek Stardate HC collection? It's two volumes in and wondering if they'll be a third.

The gimmick of the collection sounds like it's placing all collected ST stories into sequential order based on Stardate, regardless of the publisher. So it seems to start with stories about Pike that Marvel did called Early Voyages and then in theory move into stories Dell did but those could be inter spliced with Kirk tales from DC/Marvel or IDW even.

Anyone?
    As a blind buy, I ordered Volume 2 highly discounted and was so pleased I went back and ordered Volume 1. The books are nice thick hardcovers with what looks to be a sewn/glued spine (one of those squarebound volumes with signatures that have been glued to the spine). The books open pretty well, but there is a touch of gutter loss that doesn't impact the readability. Instead of a dust jacket, the covers are a durable soft touch wrap that is very tastefully designed. Paper stock is excellent with bright thick paper that is moderately reflective. Colors are bright and only get garish when the source material's '90's excess in computer coloring kicks in. I'd be quite pleased if Marvel's omnibus' used materials of this quality.

I've only read Volume 2 thus far, which consisted of approximately 13 issues previously published by Marvel in the late 90's. I was pleasantly surprised to find the material from Ian Edgington and Dan Abnett held up much better than other material from the time. Similarly, the art is quite good throughout, clearly depicting the characters and story with nary a pouch in sight. There's nothing groundbreaking here, just a set of mostly standalone tales that explore the background and current events of the Enterprise crew "Under the command of Christopher Pike". Extras include two interviews and a script/storyboard for one of the issues.

In summary, the quality of the presentation/packaging of this volume enhance the contents and made it a great addition to my shelves.

edit: Here's a preview (note the cover looks much better than the scan reproduced): http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...star-date.html
    Last edited by kesselrig; 07-26-2015 at 01:19 AM.

all of these great recommendations for Bacchus, damn. Its on my wishlist but decided to get the Alec hc, Essex county hc and Templar first (while I could still get good deals for those).
    But I m pretty sure Bacchus gonna be my next purchase.

I wanted to say something, but FanboyStranger, as usual, has given the best answer.

Ok... Bacchus goes right now on top of my "to buy list". Vol. 2 got a publication date?
    Alec is a lot less interesting to me, but I could give it a try.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Although it deals with similiar themes, it's very different than Sandman, mostly because it doesn't take itself so seriously. Bacchus, the god of wine, reappears in the modern world, and all hell starts to break loose, with other gods, Greek heroes, and complete oddballs coming out of the woodwork. But Bacchus isn't the slightest bit interested in power and glory... or anything really but sitting around drinking and telling/listening to stories. It's just a blast. I love Sandman, but I re-read Bacchus a lot more, especially the short story section like 1000 Nights of Bacchus, Doing the Islands with Bacchus, and Banged Up where it's a bunch of oddballs telling stories while Bacchus drinks, travels, and is locked in jail respectively.

Neil Gaiman would probably say that Bacchus is better than Sandman, but Neil's humble like that.
    This is on my wish list. Speaking of Gaiman, I recently reread Sandman, after lending it out, and I was surprised by its explicitness. The story's telling and characters are so good. Stories about women, people of color, a unified history of myth! Sandman is huge. Anyways, rated R stuff. Can't wait to read the Bacchus book, this and Maximortal always interested me.

Incredible Member

I must be on some kind of a roll, in addition to the other ones I fished out, I also spotted this:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Works Volume 4
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/163140...=I1VPLZKLJOH76
    Last edited by TheTemp; 07-26-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Even though it's not the complete Nemo hc we all wanted I might just gonna get this if I can throw a coupon at it or could get it a bit cheaper than the 3 hardcovers. This slipcase looks quite nice:
    Where can you order that?

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Where can you order that?
    basically anywhere:
    http://www.isbns.tk/isbn/9781603093811

So the new books are filtering through, nice!