Page 400 of 865 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410450500 ... LastLast
Results 5,986 to 6,000 of 12974

Just got the Morrison Annihilator hc and jeez that binding is the textbook definition of a mousetrap! When I finally forced the book open it didn't want to close again properly. Lovely. At least it was cheap.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Just got the Morrison Annihilator hc and jeez that binding is the textbook definition of a mousetrap! When I finally forced the book open it didn't want to close again properly. Lovely. At least it was cheap.
    It takes a bit of work but eventually it becomes a pretty okay binding. Once you're a few pages in you'll feel the difference.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It takes a bit of work but eventually it becomes a pretty okay binding. Once you're a few pages in you'll feel the difference.
    Good to know, thanks! I usually not too fussy about mousetrap bindings but this felt a bit too rigid even for my liking.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Thought some here might find this interesting. Most of us know that InStockTrades is a really great online supplier. We understand that they have 'x' warehouse space and only keep 'y' actually on hand and physically "in stock". That their name, additionally means, if it's available from their supplier(s) it's still "in stock" it just may add a few days to the turn around time. Some around here don't like that difference and take umbrage if an item is delayed. We've talked about how it would be nice if they notified the buyer it would take additional days. So, is someone at IST listening to customer feedback, reading this forum--both? I got this email from them, I cropped out my email but this is the text.
    Attachment 25665

I replied back that I'm content to wait.
    It's a courteous email to send in case that book was a gift or something and now you want to find a replacement gift. But for the most part IST is just trying to get you to order something else and keep spending money, rather than them having to refund you. Most other retailers just cancel that book from the order, auto-refund that book, and ship everything else out.
    About a week & half wait but I got the notification and tracking number today on this item that was on backorder!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Just finished up Trillium by Jeff Lemire. I have absolutely adored his creator-owned works like Essex County, The Nobody, and the Underwater Welder and this piece is no exception in my opinion. The way that Jeff can have such a scratchy art style matched with the high concept sci-fi setting and keep the story itself intimate is masterful. It's different yet the same as his other drawn works; this time it's colored by Jose Villarrubia and Lemire messes with the panel progression and reading format but at it's core it tugs at your heartstrings in a relatable way. At first I was apprehensive about Lemire's work being colored but I was actually surprised at how well it worked here. The "past" portions of the trade have a flatter pallet while in contrast the "future" setting has a sheen to it that's apropos to the sci fi elements. In the end these color choices pay dividends as the two star-crossed lovers become intertwined in an embrace within a black hole (read the story!) and the colors meld into a painterly style thanks to the two color schemes meeting. While the ending may leave some feel unfulfilled, I felt that the ending was perfect and can, to the chagrin of some, be interpreted in several ways.

As for the volume itself, it's your standard Vertigo TPB (only version available as of now) but there's something to be said about the rough stock paper; the tactile experience of the paper just pulls me in and improves my reading experience in some way. There's also an alaphabet decoder in the back matter and I'm a sucker for that!

If you haven't gotten the jist of this (annoying) amazon-esque review, I'm saying you should pick it up ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Just finished up Trillium by Jeff Lemire. I have absolutely adored his creator-owned works like Essex County, The Nobody, and the Underwater Welder and this piece is no exception in my opinion. The way that Jeff can have such a scratchy art style matched with the high concept sci-fi setting and keep the story itself intimate is masterful. It's different yet the same as his other drawn works; this time it's colored by Jose Villarrubia and Lemire messes with the panel progression and reading format but at it's core it tugs at your heartstrings in a relatable way. At first I was apprehensive about Lemire's work being colored but I was actually surprised at how well it worked here. The "past" portions of the trade have a flatter pallet while in contrast the "future" setting has a sheen to it that's apropos to the sci fi elements. In the end these color choices pay dividends as the two star-crossed lovers become intertwined in an embrace within a black hole (read the story!) and the colors meld into a painterly style thanks to the two color schemes meeting. While the ending may leave some feel unfulfilled, I felt that the ending was perfect and can, to the chagrin of some, be interpreted in several ways.

As for the volume itself, it's your standard Vertigo TPB (only version available as of now) but there's something to be said about the rough stock paper; the tactile experience of the paper just pulls me in and improves my reading experience in some way. There's also an alaphabet decoder in the back matter and I'm a sucker for that!

If you haven't gotten the jist of this (annoying) amazon-esque review, I'm saying you should pick it up ASAP!
    Just read Essex county yesterday, that was my first exposure to Lemire's non superhero work. Really good stuff, although didn't blow me away as I expected it would, maybe it got a bit overhyped (on these boards) but I would like to emphasize that it IS a really good book, I think I just went in with very high expectations and too much of a critical eye.

Just read Essex county yesterday, that was my first exposure to Lemire's non superhero work. Really good stuff, although didn't blow me away as I expected it would, maybe it got a bit overhyped (on these boards) but I would like to emphasize that it IS a really good book, I think I just went in with very high expectations and too much of a critical eye.
    I had the same feeling with Underwater Welder it wasn't the great book everyone went on about, in fact it seemed a little obvious as to what was going on. I think part of it is that this type of story isn't often told in comic form so when it does come along non-comic book readers get all excited over it.

Spectacular Member

Could not agree more (story, paper stock, etc.)!! The alphabet at the end was cool and I had so much fun trying to guess the letters along the way.

I know it's not an HC or oversized, but for the price, just pick it up!

@Balakin @MrOrange

Ugh, I think we've all been victims of the hype train before. This happened for me with New Frontier; I liked it but didn't think it was a game changer or anything. I think what makes me like his work so much is how homegrown and captivating the work feels. I don't get that initmate feeling from a lot of comics in my weekly reads so it's refreshing. I totally agree, they are straight forward tales (maybe not Trillium so much but the others) but like you said they are still well worth the read.

@Stargasm

Yes! It has a 16.99 cover price for 8 issues and that can be deeply discounted at IST so it's well worth it. I think Vertigo and Image have the best bang for your buck in regards to TPBs.

@Balakin @MrOrange

Ugh, I think we've all been victims of the hype train before. This happened for me with New Frontier; I liked it but didn't think it was a game changer or anything. I think what makes me like his work so much is how homegrown and captivating the work feels. I don't get that initmate feeling from a lot of comics in my weekly reads so it's refreshing. I totally agree, they are straight forward tales (maybe not Trillium so much but the others) but like you said they are still well worth the read.

@Stargasm

Yes! It has a 16.99 cover price for 8 issues and that can be deeply discounted at IST so it's well worth it. I think Vertigo and Image have the best bang for your buck in regards to TPBs.
    Maybe if I read more of his works thaen go back and reread EC I'm gonna change my mind and see it as a seminal work in comicbook history. Happened to me a few times when something got overhyped but I was underwhelmed but later when the noise of the hypetrain settled I could appreciate it a lot more.

Maybe if I read more of his works thaen go back and reread EC I'm gonna change my mind and see it as a seminal work in comicbook history. Happened to me a few times when something got overhyped but I was underwhelmed but later when the noise of the hypetrain settled I could appreciate it a lot more.
    That may be the case. I think Essex County also came out at a time when there wasn't as much variety in the market. Compared to today's stands at least.

unfortunately it looks like Valiant have started to skimp on the paper quality, top and bottom books are X-0 vol 2 and Armor Hunters, middle 3 are Harbinger 1, Bloodshot 1 and Shadowman

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    unfortunately it looks like Valiant have started to skimp on the paper quality, top and bottom books are X-0 vol 2 and Armor Hunters, middle 3 are Harbinger 1, Bloodshot 1 and Shadowman

As much as I loved the eary Valiant books, there are so many now and so many crossovers that I'm a little lost with the universe, also the three issue Shadowman: End Times trade for $15 annoyed me.
    Last edited by Mr`Orange; 08-18-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Is this series any good for someone who doesn't read much Morrison? I'm considering picking it up along w/ WW Perez and Powers omnibus if it's 50% off.

@Balakin @MrOrange

@Stargasm

It's not so much the straightforward nature of the story, it is just that there doesn't seem to be any depth to it.