Page 44 of 865 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144544 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    It's definitely good, i've read probably half of it... i just can't see myself spending that much on it though. I could practically buy the complete series of Dexter for that price, or two series of Star Trek TNG.... the amount of entertainment i'd receive from Dexter is like a bajillion times what i would on Annihilation. Hehe.
    Comics are by far the most expensive entertainment medium I buy, by far, such a shame they are priced so exorbitant. I used to spend a fortune on DVD & bluray sets back before they had cheap solutions like netflix I paid an absolute fortune for X-Files sets and the TNG Borg cube.

Years later I have over a thousand DVD still to get rid of, nowadays I don't buy any discs what's the point when by the time I actually get round to watching them there'll be a 4K stream I can watch with the click of a button and no faffing with discs?.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Comics are by far the most expensive entertainment medium I buy, by far, such a shame they are priced so exorbitant. I used to spend a fortune on DVD & bluray sets back before they had cheap solutions like netflix I paid an absolute fortune for X-Files sets and the TNG Borg cube.

Years later I have over a thousand DVD still to get rid of, nowadays I don't buy any discs what's the point when by the time I actually get round to watching them there'll be a 4K stream I can watch with the click of a button and no faffing with discs?.
    Just like anything else, there's still something about having the physical item. While streams have gotten much much better in terms of resolution, it's still nothing compared to an actual blu-ray (when mastered right, of course ).

All-New Member

There's a difference between owning the media and just streaming it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post
    There's a difference between owning the media and just streaming it.
    But there's a huge difference between owning an obsolete disc and a nice and big Library Edition...

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Just like anything else, there's still something about having the physical item. While streams have gotten much much better in terms of resolution, it's still nothing compared to an actual blu-ray (when mastered right, of course ).
    This! Streaming just doesn't hold a candle to Blu.

Yeah, Comics are a surprisingly expensive hobby... one wouldn't think they were but it can get up there. That's where coming into the collected edition world of Comics is overwhelming.. when omnibus/absolute editions are $80-100 each, that's like my entire budget for Comics monthly... on just 1 item. One of the things i do enjoy about single issues is that for $80-100 i can get like 30 different comics and so there's a great diversity rather than the 1 story/comic, that's why i'm trying to find great value so i can maybe buy more than just 1 book, and start to build up a small collection.

Having a monthly budget and being into Movies/TV/Music/Comics, isn't an easy thing to balance haha. Reaaaaaally got to try and be prudent about what you purchase.

I love owning physical copies on blu-ray, but i do tend to watch things over and over... so, it provides a better value for me than someone who might just watch it once and then be done with it, which in that scenario.. streaming is probably better for them. I usually will stream things first and if i end up loving it i try and buy the actual version to own.

Blu-ray is my definite number 1 on list of what i buy first, like for example... Twin Peaks is up for pre-prder at $99 and i won''t hesitate to go for that... absolutely love the series and it has tons of special features, etc. However, by doing so... there's a trickle down effect on my Comic/Music spending for that month.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-22-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Lol blu-ray.

Hadn't heard about Craig Thompson's new book, but apparently he's working on Space Dumplins that will be published next year via Scholastic. Check his blog to see some work in progress http://www.spacedumplins.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    But there's a huge difference between owning an obsolete disc and a nice and big Library Edition...
    I don't see much difference, let alone a huge difference. In the same vein, why not go full digital comics then?

I don't see much difference, let alone a huge difference. In the same vein, why not go full digital comics then?
    This is like asking vynil fans why they don't just listen to mp3. It's just music after all...
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Spectacular Member

Neither do I, I can see a small difference in PQ between a high quality HD stream and a bluray but nothing major like some people like to make out, plus streams are getting better bit rates all the time, I guess the Netflix Marvel shows will be 4K therefore surpassing bluray quality.

Books I admit to preferring the dead tree variety, one because I just love how they look on the shelf and two because I really don't like Marvels reader app for ipad. Thankfully in my lifetime there will always be physical novels etc, whereas with disc based video you never know when a superior format is just round the corner to make your purchase obsolete.

Neither do I, I can see a small difference in PQ between a high quality HD stream and a bluray but nothing major like some people like to make out, plus streams are getting better bit rates all the time, I guess the Netflix Marvel shows will be 4K therefore surpassing bluray quality.

Books I admit to preferring the dead tree variety, one because I just love how they look on the shelf and two because I really don't like Marvels reader app for ipad. Thankfully in my lifetime there will always be physical novels etc, whereas with disc based video you never know when a superior format is just round the corner to make your purchase obsolete.
    Just to chime in on 4k streaming (being a home theater geek before all else)...

4k streaming will NOT surpass blu ray quality. The bandwidth required to actually stream 4k is not realistic, so by the time things are compressed and uncompressed, the goal is for 4k streaming to equal blu ray. I just bought a 4k set, and by far the best looking content is upscaled blu ray.

Sorry to derail the thread.

As much as I love this discussion, let's get back on topic

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    As much as I love this discussion, let's get back on topic
    Agreed.
    I'm seriously considering getting more into Oni press. What are the recommendations for the company? I currently have Sixth gun, Letter 44 and hc waiting Bunker. I've been eyeing the Wasteland apocalyptic editions, the other Bunn/Hurtt books (the Damned etc.), Local, Whiteout and the Tooth. How are these? Anything I missed?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Agreed.
    I'm seriously considering getting more into Oni press. What are the recommendations for the company? I currently have Sixth gun, Letter 44 and hc waiting Bunker. I've been eyeing the Wasteland apocalyptic editions, the other Bunn/Hurtt books (the Damned etc.), Local, Whiteout and the Tooth. How are these? Anything I missed?
    Queen & Country is supposed to be quite good as well, though I haven't read it.