Page 46 of 865 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146546 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Daytripper is very beautiful, it's the only comic I almost cried about.

Is zenith oversized?

Quote Originally Posted by prof436 View Post
    Is zenith oversized?
    according to bookdepository it will be oversized:
    Physical properties
    Format: Hardback
    Number of pages: 112
    Width: 210 mm
    Height: 276 mm

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    I'm gonna have to kinda disagree with this.

After discounts, I can land a roughly 30-issue Omnibus collection for around $40-$50. That comes out to about $1.50 an issue. When you have monthly floppies going for $3-$4 each, that is one hell of a bargain. And that's to say nothing of these collections being over-sized, hardcovers, on much better paper than the floppies, no ads and usually with extras. Also, they usually collect complete storylines so you don't feel like you're getting an incomplete product.

So taking all that into account, it's no no brainer how much of a better deal these big collections are when compared to single issues. It's not even close.
    Not only that, but think about if you were trying to put together a Frank Miller DD run. Issues 158 and 168 combined would pretty much cost the same as the discounted omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    So, the point being... if my budget way say 80 dollars for the month... if i bought Spider-Man by Roger Stern i would basically have that one Spider-Man book for the entire month instead of ordering 30 or so various Comics off dcbservice.

I agree with you about the other stuff, where quality is concerned.
    Ha ha. Yes, but that's one whole book of Roger Stern awesomeness. You need nothing else!

Sin city and Zenith are considered to be one of Miller's and Morrison's best works, so yes. Daytripper is very beautiful, it's the only comic I almost cried about.
    By Who?? Sure they're great works, but I think most people would rank Miller's early Batman as some of his best. Zenith is great and I'd certainly recommend it, but that's Morrison in his early years. He certainly hadn't hit full cylinder at that point. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    according to bookdepository it will be oversized:
    Physical properties
    Format: Hardback
    Number of pages: 112
    Width: 210 mm
    Height: 276 mm
    I have the complete edition they put out last year and it is not oversized, it will be a little bigger but that is due to the fact that it is 2000 AD and the Prog is a little bigger width wise but the reprint is slightly less the width 2000 AD Prog it is about the same size all 2000 AD reprints about the size of the prog. I would be surprised if these new hardcovers are bigger or smaller but it is a great read and well worth getting.

Attachment 2518

Attachment 2519
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Not only that, but think about if you were trying to put together a Frank Miller DD run. Issues 158 and 168 combined would pretty much cost the same as the discounted omnibus.

Ha ha. Yes, but that's one whole book of Roger Stern awesomeness. You need nothing else!

By Who?? Sure they're great works, but I think most people would rank Miller's early Batman as some of his best. Zenith is great and I'd certainly recommend it, but that's Morrison in his early years. He certainly hadn't hit full cylinder at that point. Just my two cents.
    I prefer Miller's Batman over Sin City but no doubt Sin City is considered one of Miller's best work. As for Zenith I agree I wouldn't say it is best work but you do see a lot of ideas laid out in that book that would be used through all his other works especially in Phase 3 with the multiverse and Lloigor laying the ground work for lots of ideas he would use again but if you like Morrison Zenith is a must read.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I said one of, not THE best. I'd say for Miller it's
    1 Batman
    2 Daredevil
    3 Sin city
    4 300
    5 the rest

For Morrison I'd say it's definitely his most underrated work, but it does crack the top 5 or 10 for me.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

For Morrison I'd say it's definitely his most underrated work
    Maybe because it wasn't reprinted or collected since the original release.
    Has anybody read Morrison's Doctor Who stories? Are they good? Are those DW classics any good in general? Does anybody here likes DW?
    Last edited by Balakin; 05-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.

I said one of, not THE best. I'd say for Miller it's
    1 Batman
    2 Daredevil
    3 Sin city
    4 300
    5 the rest

For Morrison I'd say it's definitely his most underrated work, but it does crack the top 5 or 10 for me.
    My bad, you did say that. And I'd certainly agree with your Miller ranking although I might slip Martha Washington in as # 3.5

My bad, you did say that. And I'd certainly agree with your Miller ranking although I might slip Martha Washington in as # 3.5
    And I might slip(case) in and that this Martha Washington needs a reprint.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Has anybody read Morrison's Doctor Who stories? Are they good? Are those DW classics any good in general? Does anybody here likes DW?
    They are okay I would not consider them anything special they are worth grabbing if you can still get the IDW reprints cheap grab them.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    They are okay I would not consider them anything special they are worth grabbing if you can still get the IDW reprints cheap grab them.
    Thanks for the answer. The DW classics omnibuses are fairly cheap and I think the Morrison issues are collected in vol1.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

I can't speak to the Morrison Doctor Who issues since I haven't read them, but I have the Dave Gibbons Doctor Who hardcover and while I've only read a couple of the stories in it so far, I thought they were very good and imitated the tone of the 4th doctor episodes quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Gordon View Post
    I can't speak to the Morrison Doctor Who issues since I haven't read them, but I have the Dave Gibbons Doctor Who hardcover and while I've only read a couple of the stories in it so far, I thought they were very good and imitated the tone of the 4th doctor episodes quite nicely.
    Thanks, good to hear! I really like Gibbons' art so I will definitely buy it sometime.

Just some random thoughts:

I've recently discovered I don't want to go back to ancient eras like the Golden age or Silver age anymore. It's nice to have a few collections to remind you of where comics came from, but there's something about them that prevents me from truly caring anymore. Maybe it's a combination of a few things: simpler art, simpler characterizations (see: Golden Age DC), history that gets re-written anyway, too innocent, predictable because you know the future of the character. I've slowly learnt that whenever I order trades, I jump immediately to the current stuff and burn through those in an instant, and the old classics get read last, if I even have the patience to read them at all. This includes books like Moore's Swamp Thing. I don't know, does anyone else feel the same?

I also wanted to ask: most of you seem to buy hardcovers over trades. I'm not ashamed to admit that I buy trades simply because they're cheaper (less money spent per booK = more books). But alot of you with more cash buy hardcovers. Is there a practical reason for this? Do trades start falling apart after a few years? I don't re-read the stuff I have much, but I may soon have a generation of nephews interested in pulling out my books. Was wondering if there's a specific reason why you guys seems to prefer hardcovers on your shelves.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).