Page 47 of 865 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147547 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Just some random thoughts:

I've recently discovered I don't want to go back to ancient eras like the Golden age or Silver age anymore. It's nice to have a few collections to remind you of where comics came from, but there's something about them that prevents me from truly caring anymore. Maybe it's a combination of a few things: simpler art, simpler characterizations (see: Golden Age DC), history that gets re-written anyway, too innocent, predictable because you know the future of the character. I've slowly learnt that whenever I order trades, I jump immediately to the current stuff and burn through those in an instant, and the old classics get read last, if I even have the patience to read them at all. This includes books like Moore's Swamp Thing. I don't know, does anyone else feel the same?

I also wanted to ask: most of you seem to buy hardcovers over trades. I'm not ashamed to admit that I buy trades simply because they're cheaper (less money spent per booK = more books). But alot of you with more cash buy hardcovers. Is there a practical reason for this? Do trades start falling apart after a few years? I don't re-read the stuff I have much, but I may soon have a generation of nephews interested in pulling out my books. Was wondering if there's a specific reason why you guys seems to prefer hardcovers on your shelves.
    Mostly for value, that might seem odd at first as hardcovers tend to be more expensive. But I started focusing on buying Marvels oversized hardcovers as they were priced at the same cost as two trades, had the same issues as two tpbs but came in an oversized hardcover. Omnibus editions also price out at similiar to the cost of collecting multiple tpbs.

I also discovered I prefer oversized pages to regular pages for stories I really enjoyed, especially Absolute Editions for books like Watchmen, DKR, Planetary etc. I find I spend more time on the art, and appreciate it more.

Fantastic Member

When I read the old stuff, I always do so with the understanding that there are certain qualities that have to be accepted. In spite of that, I'm quite often surprised by how entertaining many of the original runs were. Also, its fun reading the big names like Spidey or Avengers and seeing how much of those stories have carried through to the modern films. I appreciate the old stuff for what it is and usually enjoy reading ftmp...

As far as the big hardcovers go, I've come to prefer them for a couple of reasons. First of all, they are usually extremely impressive books that are a great joy to behold. Trades otoh are sort of meh. Secondly, in terms of cost, the HCs are not a bad deal at all. They usually contain several trades in a larger, sturdier and more attractive format and can usually be found for significantly less than their retail price. In other words they don't actually cost much more than trades and are (for me anyway) much more enjoyable...

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    When I read the old stuff, I always do so with the understanding that there are certain qualities that have to be accepted. In spite of that, I'm quite often surprised by how entertaining many of the original runs were. Also, its fun reading the big names like Spidey or Avengers and seeing how much of those stories have carried through to the modern films. I appreciate the old stuff for what it is and usually enjoy reading ftmp...

As far as the big hardcovers go, I've come to prefer them for a couple of reasons. First of all, they are usually extremely impressive books that are a great joy to behold. Trades otoh are sort of meh. Secondly, in terms of cost, the HCs are not a bad deal at all. They usually contain several trades in a larger, sturdier and more attractive format and can usually be found for significantly less than their retail price. In other words they don't actually cost much more than trades and are (for me anyway) much more enjoyable...
    Indeed, and there's nothing like a big, thick hc on your shelf. And for smaller Hc's, they read nicer than trades and have a longer life span. And hc's are larger, which is a big advantage, especially when the artist is great.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Indeed, and there's nothing like a big, thick hc on your shelf. And for smaller Hc's, they read nicer than trades and have a longer life span. And hc's are larger, which is a big advantage, especially when the artist is great.
    Please elaborate on hardcovers having a longer life span. What happens to a trade after a few years, and does it depend on usage? Its a weird question, but I'd like to future-proof my library as quick as possible.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Please elaborate on hardcovers having a longer life span. What happens to a trade after a few years, and does it depend on usage? Its a weird question, but I'd like to future-proof my library as quick as possible.
    It's not that gigantic big of difference but it certaintly makes a small difference. Tpb's, some more than others, can fall apart after some readings or the spine can crack easily. Where as Hc's are sturdier, it won't fall apart easily (especially with a sewn binding and when it's a OHC (those tend to have a higher overall production quality in pretty much all aspects like the spine, paper stock, binding etc.)). Altough you have less good hc's just like you have bad quality tpb's (had a tpb that spine-cracked after one reading, and I'm pretty carefull with my books), but the good ones can easily last a few decades even if you re-read it often. The cover also doesn't tear which is also a plus for me (a hardcover can get bumps though, but only if you actually drop it pretty hard).
    overall I'd say don't buy a lot of cheap hc's (like the New 52 hc's that come out before the tpb's) but don't hesitate to buy the nice OHC'S and omnibi, those are relatively the same price as multiple tpb's but better quality and I bet you'll also love the oversized art (for example, I'm buying the Deluxe Saga edition for the nice Fiona Staples oversized art). In the end it's all preference (don't get me wrong, I also have a lot of tpb's since it's a cheaper option but I try to get as many OHC because I just enjoy them more and if they are the relatively same price as tpb's I don't think twice) so you should jidge yourself. If you wish I can give you a list of some of my favorite hc's so you can get a overview of what to try. And don't forget, the place you buy the hc's at is pretty important if yoy want a good price, be sure to check all the main sites before you make a decision to buy something
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

So I love my omnibus, absolutes and hard covers. I'm moving in a month and slowly preparing. I got some nice quality bankers boxes for the books to be moved in. The smallest size. The first box was packed today (Sandman Absolutes and Fear Agent LEs) and god damn is that junk heavy. I am going to hate my books for the next few months.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    So I love my omnibus, absolutes and hard covers. I'm moving in a month and slowly preparing. I got some nice quality bankers boxes for the books to be moved in. The smallest size. The first box was packed today (Sandman Absolutes and Fear Agent LEs) and god damn is that junk heavy. I am going to hate my books for the next few months.
    Ha, indeed. A box with 2 tpb's and the X-statix omnibus where delivered to the neighbours today since I wasn't at home and when I went pick it up my neighbour boy almost went through his back when he picked it up. And that were only one big omnibus and 2 trades. Don't want to think of a box full of absolutes and omnibi.

Spectacular Member

I'd say that 80% of the books I buy are now trades rather than hardcovers. I do love a good Omnibus but I can't have whole series like say Walking Dead in hardcover, I'd run out of space quickly. I'm even thinking about replacing some of my hardcovers with trades, I'll probably buy the 100 Bullets in five trades because the five hardcovers take so much space.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    And I might slip(case) in and that this Martha Washington needs a reprint.
    Oh man, no kidding. I lucked up about a year ago and got mine for around $70 including shipping on a "make a best offer" Ebay deal. It took me forever to find something that "cheap."

No kidding. It's going to suck. I had to do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I'd say that 80% of the books I buy are now trades rather than hardcovers. I do love a good Omnibus but I can't have whole series like say Walking Dead in hardcover, I'd run out of space quickly. I'm even thinking about replacing some of my hardcovers with trades, I'll probably buy the 100 Bullets in five trades because the five hardcovers take so much space.
    The Walking Dead OHC's aren't that much thicker than the TPB's. I just measured and you get about 5 TPB's to the width of 2 OHC's (4 TPB's worth). So that's about 20% more space taken up by the OHC. I can live with that for the better build and more importantly larger art (which coincidentally is also about 20% larger).

Interesting side note, I just put "Walking Dead" into amazon search so I could compare the size measurements of the pages themselves (the above width comparison was done with physical books and I couldn't be bothered looking for a ruler for the dimensions) and it brings up Movie/TV, Toys and Clothing as the primary catalogue searches. I had to follow the "Other Categories" link to get books. I guess despite the massive sales success of the books they still don't rate next to even t-shirts for the fan base of the show.

I'm in the process of moving too and trying to figure out the best way to box my books. So, bankers boxes, huh? I'll have to check those out. I do know I can't put too many books in one box, especially those three you mentioned. They get heavy FAST!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    The Walking Dead OHC's aren't that much thicker than the TPB's. I just measured and you get about 5 TPB's to the width of 2 OHC's (4 TPB's worth). So that's about 20% more space taken up by the OHC. I can live with that for the better build and more importantly larger art (which coincidentally is also about 20% larger).
    Far thicker than the compendiums though which is what I buy. I'm happy with the build as I've never had a book fall apart on me before, my shelving won't fit any more ohc so it's either buy the trades or don't own the series. I've got lots of shelves that will only hold trades (due to height and weight not thickness) so I'm covered for years but in an ideal world all my books would be ohc with nice flexible bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Far thicker than the compendiums though which is what I buy. I'm happy with the build as I've never had a book fall apart on me before, my shelving won't fit any more ohc so it's either buy the trades or don't own the series. I've got lots of shelves that will only hold trades (due to height and weight not thickness) so I'm covered for years but in an ideal world all my books would be ohc with nice flexible bindings.
    That's fair enough although I don't know if I could deal with the 4 1/2 to 5 year wait between compendiums.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    That's fair enough although I don't know if I could deal with the 4 1/2 to 5 year wait between compendiums.
    I've not read them (like everything else I have) so it's not like I'm sitting waiting four years for the conclusion to some dramatic story arc.

The Walking Dead(and other) compendiums are fantastic. Such good value, for a big chunk of comics. Only bad thing is that once you read it, like any big paperback book, the spine goes crinkly and it looks like a munted book on the shelf.