Page 476 of 865 FirstFirst ... 376426466472473474475476477478479480486526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 12974
    Spectacular Member

Gotta say, I'm super glad I went with getting Fantagraphic's EC Comics Library books as opposed to Dark Horse's Archives. They're in black and white but I honestly think the restored / remastered colouring of the Dark Horse versions are absolutely horrendous and really distract from the fantastic art. If they the colouring was more faithful to some original copies of the comics then I might have went with the colour books but I think I made a better decision going with Fantagraphic's series personally. Thoughts from anyone here? Incidentally, now that I've seen how incredible the artwork is, I sure do know what Artist's Editions I want next...

Quote Originally Posted by Endsville View Post
    Gotta say, I'm super glad I went with getting Fantagraphic's EC Comics Library books as opposed to Dark Horse's Archives. They're in black and white but I honestly think the restored / remastered colouring of the Dark Horse versions are absolutely horrendous and really distract from the fantastic art. If they the colouring was more faithful to some original copies of the comics then I might have went with the colour books but I think I made a better decision going with Fantagraphic's series personally. Thoughts from anyone here? Incidentally, now that I've seen how incredible the artwork is, I sure do know what Artist's Editions I want next...
    I don't know anything about the EC, Creepy , Eerie, etc archives and libraries and other books at all so could someone enlighten me if any of these are worth buying or not? My idea is that these are anthologies which is usually not something that interest me, I'm more into continuous adventures but I can be convinced. In fact I like to be convinced.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I don't know anything about the EC, Creepy , Eerie, etc archives and libraries and other books at all so could someone enlighten me if any of these are worth buying or not? My idea is that these are anthologies which is usually not something that interest me, I'm more into continuous adventures but I can be convinced. In fact I like to be convinced.
    The EC volumes all have enough gold to justify a purchase (affordability and reproduction-wise, I'd probably track down the Gemstone paperback annuals on eBay. Like Endsville said, the new colors in the Archives are garish, even with Marie Severin at the helm.) The Eerie volumes are the trickiest because there are stretches of lax editorial handling and entire issues devoted to reprinting older stories. Reproduction-wise, Creepy and Eerie are up to Dark Horse's usual standard, but the retail prices are prohibitive to all but die-hard fans. Maybe try the artist-centric collections, like Corben and Ditko, which are great primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    just noticed a book called 'The Red Star' from IDW, anyone read it?
    It is pretty decent, amazing art works and an interesting premise but the story telling wasn't great from what I remember. Worth a punt if you like alternate future / near future tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuka View Post
    Started using Speedy Hen a few weeks ago. Basically everything is always out of stock, like everything I want!... which is a lot.
    As long as it isn't out of print they get items in pretty quickly and shipped out.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Endsville View Post
    I have a couple of the recent Gemstone books and a couple of reprints from the 90's. They are decent, but I do love the FB black and white books. They are artist centered so the are pulled from different comics and out of order. They look gorgeous they have become some of my favorite black and white comics. I love the Al Williamson book, the two Graham Ingels books, and of course Wally Wood. I would get one horror book, one Sci Fi book, and one crime or war book. 50 Girls 50, Sucker Bait, and Corpse on the Imjin, well worth your time!

Quote Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
    The EC volumes all have enough gold to justify a purchase (affordability and reproduction-wise, I'd probably track down the Gemstone paperback annuals on eBay. Like Endsville said, the new colors in the Archives are garish, even with Marie Severin at the helm.) The Eerie volumes are the trickiest because there are stretches of lax editorial handling and entire issues devoted to reprinting older stories. Reproduction-wise, Creepy and Eerie are up to Dark Horse's usual standard, but the retail prices are prohibitive to all but die-hard fans. Maybe try the artist-centric collections, like Corben and Ditko, which are great primers.
    cheers, might try that, I'm always looking for new stuff to discover.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    cheers, might try that, I'm always looking for new stuff to discover.
    Yeah definitely get the Wrightson and Corben ones. Beautiful books with good prices and great stories inside.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I have a couple of the recent Gemstone books and a couple of reprints from the 90's. They are decent, but I do love the FB black and white books. They are artist centered so the are pulled from different comics and out of order. They look gorgeous they have become some of my favorite black and white comics. I love the Al Williamson book, the two Graham Ingels books, and of course Wally Wood. I would get one horror book, one Sci Fi book, and one crime or war book. 50 Girls 50, Sucker Bait, and Corpse on the Imjin, well worth your time!
    Oh, I never said it in my post but during Fantagraphic's sale I picked up the first two slipcase sets, so I have most of them already and will just be awaiting the next set, which I think should be ready next year since I'm to understand there's enough new books for one. The writing quality greatly varies, which isn't surprising, but the art has been consistently incredible so far, which is why I'm grateful for these being in black and white instead of Dark Horse's hugely distracting colour ("garish" was indeed the word I was looking for, thanks jadekite!) instead. If I hadn't known about Fanta's books and I'd just picked up DH's then I highly doubt I'd enjoy these as much, honestly.

Amazing Member

I started reading my Black Science omnibus a few days ago and I think I found out why it's big release got pushed back. Some of the fonts used in the collection are REALLY thin, You can hardly read them. I really doubt this is done on purpose and in my opinion must be a production flaw. I'll post a pic later.

Incredible Member

X-O Manowar Deluxe Volume 3 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/168215...Valiant+deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    It is pretty decent, amazing art works and an interesting premise but the story telling wasn't great from what I remember. Worth a punt if you like alternate future / near future tales.
    You about summed it up. Interesting premise but could have been executed better. Beautiful art! I never finished it, so maybe it picked up but I doubt it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
    I started reading my Black Science omnibus a few days ago and I think I found out why it's big release got pushed back. Some of the fonts used in the collection are REALLY thin, You can hardly read them. I really doubt this is done on purpose and in my opinion must be a production flaw. I'll post a pic later.
    Remender has responded to people that the text was all messed up and the entire print run was supposed to be pulped. He is advising anyone who got a copy to contact the store and let them know so you can be sent a good copy in February.

Last batch for this year. Nothing like some great, classic sword & sorcery during the holidays:

Quote Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
    Just had a look at my copy and you're right, some of them are rather thin. However they're still perfectly readable, so I certainly won't ask for a replacement copy.