Page 50 of 865 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150550 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

My wife and I took the kids to the Warsaw Book Festival held at the National Stadium this last Saturday. A very small part of the festival was made up of the Comics Festival (probably not more than 10-15 stands). There were quite a few signings including Tony Sandoval, Rutu Modan and Pau. My boys (5 and 7 years old) were pretty happy as there was a mass of activities for children. They also managed to get a couple of free comics including Donald Duck by Don Rosa and Atlas & Axis by Pau.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Those Valiant Deluxe Hardcovers look pretty good, im gonna definitely get the Unity and Rai ones when they come out. What really annoys me is the Valiant Masters series. I want to get Rai and Ninjak, but they are only 7 issues! It really doesnt make much sense to me to release such small hardcovers. Perhaps they wanted to test the market with something small, but I mean those series are pretty long and its not like they have to wait for the issues to come out to collect them. The price is ok, since I can find them pretty cheap, but I dont want to buy them and only have a few issues to read then have to wait a year or more for them to release the next volume. I wish they would have just put out larger collections. As it is ill probably wait until it gets closer to the second volumes coming out (or if it looks like they may start getting expensive/OOP).
    I picked up the Rai #1 floppy out of curiosity, and I thought it was very good. The art by Clayton Crain is beautiful, in oversized harcdover format it will look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Does anyone keep a list of all that they own? I've been thinking of doing this in case I ever need it for insurance purposes, and just to gloat over my ever-growing collection?
    I've tried both free versions of comicbase and comic collectorz, ended up using collectorz, it's much cheaper and more intuitive imo, don't expect their database to be perfect,
    you'll have to correct errors by hand sometimes, but it's a powerful software.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Go these books this week. Finally Blast 4. Cannot wait to read. Based on volume 1-3 I just don't understand why this hasn't been picked for translation to English. Probably the best graphic novel I've read. Volume 4 is the final volume.

Could you please post a couple of inside shots of the Donald Duck book?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    That was me! Would love some pics! Also, if you don't mind, can you make a pic of it standing next to a library edition, absolute or dc omnibus? Gives me a good idea of how it will look on the shelf

20140526_070523.jpg20140526_065050.jpg

I took a couple more pictures, but I can't seem to get them to upload (probably my stupid phones fault). It really is a good looking book. The red cloth has a great look and texture (is it Buckram?) and there are lots of extras. Warren Ellis writes the intro and there is a full chapter at the end In color which is great. There are text pieces in the back with accompanying illustrations which are both about a full page apiece, which I assume came from the backmatter of each issue. There is also a cover gallery by Ben Templesmith.The binding is good. It doesnt lay flat from the first page, but it isnt tight like those mousetrap books that try and snapped back shut on you. It does lay flat after 80 pages in. I haven't read it yet, but from paging through and from all I've heard about it I think it is going to be a fantastic story. I recommend the book on it's quality alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post
    Could you please post a couple of inside shots of the Donald Duck book?
    There's a link on the front page to both the Uncle Scrooge book and Lost in the Andes

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I took a couple more pictures, but I can't seem to get them to upload (probably my stupid phones fault). It really is a good looking book. The red cloth has a great look and texture (is it Buckram?) and there are lots of extras. Warren Ellis writes the intro and there is a full chapter at the end In color which is great. There are text pieces in the back with accompanying illustrations which are both about a full page apiece, which I assume came from the backmatter of each issue. There is also a cover gallery by Ben Templesmith.The binding is good. It doesnt lay flat from the first page, but it isnt tight like those mousetrap books that try and snapped back shut on you. It does lay flat after 80 pages in. I haven't read it yet, but from paging through and from all I've heard about it I think it is going to be a fantastic story. I recommend the book on it's quality alone.
    Looks amazing! I usually don't like black & white but out of all types of black & white styles I like that kinda of style the most so I think I can handle it. Definitely on my to buy list.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Does anyone know of possibility that we'll get sweet tooth in any other format other than paperback?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    Does anyone know of possibility that we'll get sweet tooth in any other format other than paperback?
    Id say the chances are pretty good we'll see a deluxe hardcover format given the fact that it seems Vertigo is releasing all it's popular and critically acclaimed series that way now.

That is some gorgeous black and white artwork!
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

IMG_13272.jpg

This arrived in the post today. As you can see, I'm a huge Superman fan, but I'm very often disappointed with the stories (the current "Doomed" seems quite nice). I also wanted to try out the old Squadron Supreme since I've heard alot of good things about it.

The 100 Bullets tpb is now something I wish I didn't buy, because I've since decided I'd rather collect the hardcovers, but if I have to double-dip once in a while on a great series, no problem. If that happens, I usually use the tpbs to introduce people to comics. If they're not interested and the book comes back in a bad shape, then I have my treasured hardcover anyway, so it works out.

My collection isn't that big (I'm estimating about 3 short boxes). Right now they're just kept in normal factory boxes, lol. Also: they're not on my bookshelf, because I wait for my nephews to at least be teenagers before they're introduced to the stash. Until then, they can stick to digital on an iPad.

Another package expected next week, then I'm giving my bank account a breather. I'll probably buy again once the 75 Year Batman and Joker books come out, which is end of July I think.

What books do/would you guys give to try and get people hooked? For me, it's Death Note, Y - The Last Man, 100 Bullets, TDKR, and Civil War.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

IMG_13272.jpg

This arrived in the post today. As you can see, I'm a huge Superman fan, but I'm very often disappointed with the stories (the current "Doomed" seems quite nice). I also wanted to try out the old Squadron Supreme since I've heard alot of good things about it.

The 100 Bullets tpb is now something I wish I didn't buy, because I've since decided I'd rather collect the hardcovers, but if I have to double-dip once in a while on a great series, no problem. If that happens, I usually use the tpbs to introduce people to comics. If they're not interested and the book comes back in a bad shape, then I have my treasured hardcover anyway, so it works out.

My collection isn't that big (I'm estimating about 3 short boxes). Right now they're just kept in normal factory boxes, lol. Also: they're not on my bookshelf, because I wait for my nephews to at least be teenagers before they're introduced to the stash. Until then, they can stick to digital on an iPad.

Another package expected next week, then I'm giving my bank account a breather. I'll probably buy again once the 75 Year Batman and Joker books come out, which is end of July I think.

What books do/would you guys give to try and get people hooked? For me, it's Death Note, Y - The Last Man, 100 Bullets, TDKR, and Civil War.
    For me it's been V for Vendetta, Transmetropolitan, Sixth gun, pretty much most Brubaker/Phillips stuff, Green arrow Longbow hunters (thanks to Arrow), Hawkeye by Fraction and King city. Really depends on the person I give it to
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Incredible Member

image.jpg

Just got my new Kallax shelf from Ikea! They didn't make 5x5 yet, so I'm hoping it'll be enough! Here's the before pic.. Will put in an after pic later!

IMG_13272.jpg
    yeah, it depends on the people but these books converted some people in the past: Fear Agent, Transmetropolitan, Sandman, Planetary, Watchmen, Authority, Brubaker's stuff, LoEG, Hellboy.
    And thanks, your pic reminded me that I wanted to read Squadron supreme for a long time.

Incredible Member

And here's the final product, haven't added any dvd's to those other shelves yet but is a good shelf so far! Might be filled by the end of the year lol