Page 503 of 865 FirstFirst ... 3403453493499500501502503504505506507513553603 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 12974
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Looks like first DMX book is going slowly OOP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DMZ-Deluxe-H...5&keywords=dmz

I noticed that yesterday. Was considering getting that used copy for $16

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    So any final thoughts on Absolute Hard Traveling Heroes, I am debating this or the Dark Horse Panic out this week?
    Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Unless you hate old comics buy it, everyone should own hard traveling heroes in some format and the Absolute is hands down the best reporduction currently available.
    Yeah, agreed. It's just one of those classics that always gets mentioned. (Well at least until the abortion that is the Nu52.)
    Another thing about this run is that - yes the dialogue can be a little Bronze-Age campy and over dramatic - but the panels are filled within mindless unneeded passages. It's a lot quicker read than a lot of older runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    £20? Daaaayum!
    Another for 20!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...189437&sr=8-13

Maybe because it's the only good one...

Spectacular Member

Hes got books now?
    Dmx_d75c23_1436808.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Maybe because it's the only good one...
    Well, it's certainly the best, but I felt the first two years, maybe 2.5 years were OK. Then it hit a serious lull for awhile. It mounted a comeback in the last year. I would probably recommend this series, but I doubt I will ever re-read it again.

Anyone ever buy any Avatar Press stuff? I remember getting loads of good to excellent volume 1's by some pretty heavy hitters, Warren Ellis, Alan Moore and Garth Ennis and the like but apart from Gravel and Freak Angels nothing seemed to get a volume 2, is the company still going?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Anyone ever buy any Avatar Press stuff? I remember getting loads of good to excellent volume 1's by some pretty heavy hitters, Warren Ellis, Alan Moore and Garth Ennis and the like but apart from Gravel and Freak Angels nothing seemed to get a volume 2, is the company still going?
    Yeah, good point, I bought first Uber HC by Gillen two years ago and there is not even a sign for second one.

avatar = all Crossed, all the time

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeJarmel View Post
    anybody ever get rid of all their trades in order to upgrade collection to HCs, deluxes, OHCs, and omnis? i'm considering doing this, just want to hear other's experience with it
    If a hardcover or deluxe hardcover version comes out (or existed and for some reason I didn't know), I'll sell off the TPB or lesser-format and upgrade. But some things are only in TPB and that's fine if I like the series enough. Other than a select handful of series I'm considering ditching TPBs all together if I can find digital editions of the TPBs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
    This kind of goes handle in hand with my other post I started about how to choose in what format to buy.

For example I have the gotham central HCs and I don't plan on upgrading to the omnibus as I think the hc is the "best" format as they are easier to read than a big omni. I guess it's just personal preference. Unless the omni had oversized pages or better paper I think I prefer the hardcovers.
    Gotham Central is certainly going to be oversized. The regular HCs are not oversized. But if you don't want the heft of an Omnibus, then you obviously have to get the different volumes.

Incredible Member

Avatar is still very much around: http://www.avatarpress.com/. I see the "God Is Dead" trades around all the time because they sell it using Hickman's name even though Hickman only co-wrote the first six issues. The 7th trade collection collecting through issue #42 just came out. The early stuff got pretty bad reviews so I don't know who is actually buying this series to keep it going like this.

Crossed by Garth Ennis (and now others) is another huge series for Avatar. Uber by Gillen is up to 5 TPB volumes. The Uber hardcover was a one-off "Extended Edition" with extras "limited to 5000 copies and an additional 350 ‘Remarqued’ pieces that includes an original sketch and signatures of Gillen and White." It wasn't necessarily supposed to be the ongoing trade format for that series.

Avatar originally just published mini-series from people like Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis and Alan Moore. None of them seem to be as well reviewed or as well regarded as their more known works. So maybe the mini-series factor explains why you don't see many volume 2s, as no volume 2s were ever planned.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post

I enjoyed reading this book very much. It's Clowes weirdness, the characters are funny, down to earth and melancholic. We get a sci-fi, a thriller and a love story all wrapped into one story, with those first two being quite unusual themes for Clowes. But he succeeds very well. This book is comics at its best!!
    Well, now I can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post

Avatar originally just published mini-series from people like Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis and Alan Moore. None of them seem to be as well reviewed or as well regarded as their more known works. So maybe the mini-series factor explains why you don't see many volume 2s, as no volume 2s were ever planned.
    I have (marked as) vols 1 of Anna Mercury, Absolution, Doctor Sleepless and Ignition City, did any of these get volume 2s?

Y'all should be reading Alan Moores Providence from Avatar.
    Unsettling stuff.

I have (marked as) vols 1 of Anna Mercury, Absolution, Doctor Sleepless and Ignition City, did any of these get volume 2s?
    I believe Anna Mercury and Absolution had second volumes.