Page 51 of 865 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast

Looks great. Is the Futurama/simpsons crossover crisis absolute sized? It looks like it in the photo.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Looks great. Is the Futurama/simpsons crossover crisis absolute sized? It looks like it in the photo.
    It is smaller then a Library Edition, but a bit taller then a normal OHC!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Does anyone keep a list of all that they own? I've been thinking of doing this in case I ever need it for insurance purposes, and just to gloat over my ever-growing collection?
    Yeah. I use stachmycomics actually. It's a website, really nice. Definitely recommend it for keeping track of issues/collections and prices and whatnot.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Question to those who've read Blacksad. Would you say it's "rated R" or "PG-13"?
    Sorry for the possibly odd question, appreciate any responses.
    Man, that's tough. I'd say R, because they're basically brilliantly-done detective stories. I don't remember any of it being way out of bounds, tone-wise, but I read a lot of crime fiction, and expect a certain level of non all-ages appropriate material as a matter of course. So when you get into stuff like drug use and murder and all that, whether it's graphic or not, it's still borderline for the below-18 set. But it's so well-done...

Separate point: I ordered the Groo artist edition. It's apparently being shipped via turtle marathon, but I can't wait to dig into it.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    Man, that's tough. I'd say R, because they're basically brilliantly-done detective stories. I don't remember any of it being way out of bounds, tone-wise, but I read a lot of crime fiction, and expect a certain level of non all-ages appropriate material as a matter of course. So when you get into stuff like drug use and murder and all that, whether it's graphic or not, it's still borderline for the below-18 set. But it's so well-done...
    Yeah, sometimes violence or sex is there, but not too graphic. I wouldn't say it's R, there are other categories, like T or M, I think one of those would suit this book better. Remember, there is violent death is Disney movies too (think about the hanging at the end of Tarzan). I wouldn't give it to a 12 year old but a fairly intelligent 15-16 year old absolutely would have fun with it. (I have a pal who just turned 17 and his favourite book is The Invisibles and Sleeper.)

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Can't remember if already posted, but here's the cover of the upcoming Winsor McCay, The Complete Little Nemo 1905-1927 book:

And here's the amazon.com description from here:

TASCHEN's sumptuous Winsor McCay: The Complete Little Nemo 1905 1927 collects, for the very first time, in full, glorious color and in the original large format in which they first appeared in the comic supplements of the major American Sunday newspapers, all 550 episodes of Little Nemo in Slumberland the iconic comic strip in which a little boy's fantastic and surreal dreams come to life. In his extensive accompanying text, illustrated by historical photographs and documents, comics expert Alexander Braundescribes Winsor McCay s life and places his work within the cultural history of the U.S. media and entertainment industry shortly after the turn of the 20th century. This publication is a tremendous monument to one of the most innovative pioneers of comics that no comics fan will want to miss.

This looks like it's going to be an extremely beautiful book.

Any idea what "The original large format" is exactly? Those Sunday Press books were pretty enormous (16 x 21 inches) so this will probably be one unbelievably unwieldy book.

Still getting it though...

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    Any idea what "The original large format" is exactly? Those Sunday Press books were pretty enormous (16 x 21 inches) so this will probably be one unbelievably unwieldy book.

Still getting it though...
    Westfield Comics has it at 13 x 17 inches. The good - it will be easier to handle. The bad - we're not getting the original size. The collector in me would prefer it to have the original 16 x 21 inches.

Hmm, slightly larger than the Humanoids super oversized books then. Still very big but strange to market it with "The original large format" when it's in fact quite a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    Hmm, slightly larger than the Humanoids super oversized books then. Still very big but strange to market it with "The original large format" when it's in fact quite a bit smaller.
    If it's Sunday Press Book size, we can expect something like this (found this picture while googling, appearently Little Nemo has already been partly released in that format in 2007).
    Link: http://www.chapelhillcomics.com/content/?p=219
    I wouldn't take any bets about the definite size before we have a confirmation, this book has yet to be sollicited properly, we only have indications at this point if I stand correct (?). But even if it's a bit smaller, these are great news for collectors. I'm in! (wife is rolling eyes - LOL)
    image.jpg
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Here's a weird question that just popped in my head while reading a trade: why do floppies have ads in them and not collected editions?
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Here's a weird question that just popped in my head while reading a trade: why do floppies have ads in them and not collected editions?
    I think it's mostly because of the fact that floppies are beeing sold and read "real time" to ad campaigns. It doesn't make make much sense to put a "McDonald's summer 2014" ad in a TPB beeing sold over a few years. Most of the the ad content would be obsolete by the time it is read.
    edit: nice to see that NZ Inferno has the same reasoning, so my points obviously make some sense ;-)
    Last edited by Spirou; 05-27-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

A collected edition is re-selling material, so best guess is that no one would actually buy ad space for it as you don't know when the book would be bought unlike a monthly comic which is more likely to be sold around its release date.

Edit:beaten

I'm just remembering the good old days when Mad magazine was ad-free. Having an ad in the middle of a story definitely takes you out of it. I thought I liked trades more because they're complete stories, but now I'm thinking that the non-presence of ads probably "adds" to the experience. Pun unintended.

Edit: It would be like commercials running in the middle of a movie in the theatre.
    Last edited by ohmshalone; 05-27-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Because floppies are periodicals/magazines where as collected editions are actual books.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos