Page 513 of 865 FirstFirst ... 13413463503509510511512513514515516517523563613 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,695 of 12974
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    the Absolute books themselves are nice, but the slipcases are terrible quality.
    If you think those are bad you should see the image ones

What don't you guys like about the absolutes slipcases? I only have one(long halloween)so far and I like it. Its sturdy and thick.

image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image4.jpg

Picked up the Complete Brian Bolland Red Label great quality and signed and limited extremely nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    What don't you guys like about the absolutes slipcases? I only have one(long halloween)so far and I like it. Its sturdy and thick.
    really bad quality cardboard with a low quality sticker on the outside. I've had several where the inner cardboard was melted onto the dustjacket of the book

Ahh gotcha. By sticker do you mean the image? Or an actual sticker? Is the quality different between books? For example the long halloween dosnt have a dust jacket.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    the cheapest quote wins.

sadly, quality wise the only books worth getting now seem to be DH and Absolutes
    Just had to return my Goon LE 1 for a bad production flaw where binding cracked out. Hoping for a reprint to get a good price on repurchase. I hate to say it but I don't think any of these books by the major publishers are what we collectors consider truly high quality anymore. Of all my books I think Fantagraphics has the best quality. I keep meaning to jump into some Humanoids to see what they are like but keep putting them off.
    Last edited by Brewman; 02-09-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Are there not deluxe hardcover volumes of IDW's TMNT series?

Incredible Member

I have no problems with the binding of Black Science. But then again, I've never really been a stickler for binding. Glued, sewn... whatever. So long as it's decent. The BS binding is certainly better than some Image books, not as good as others, but definitely better than the majority of DC books. Bit of gutter loss which is a shame since the art is so beautiful, but the paper quality, etc. is all excellent. As for lack of ribbon... so what? Most books don't have them and it's not like I can't find the same spot again. I find them annoying. I find ribbons annoying, dust covers annoying, pretty much anything that isn't necessary on a book annoying. I have a book that's got this gritty glow in the dark crap on the covers... why? It's a bit silly. Just more stuff to get damaged, is how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    I have no problems with the binding of Black Science. But then again, I've never really been a stickler for binding. Glued, sewn... whatever. So long as it's decent. The BS binding is certainly better than some Image books, not as good as others, but definitely better than the majority of DC books. Bit of gutter loss which is a shame since the art is so beautiful, but the paper quality, etc. is all excellent. As for lack of ribbon... so what? Most books don't have them and it's not like I can't find the same spot again. I find them annoying. I find ribbons annoying, dust covers annoying, pretty much anything that isn't necessary on a book annoying. I have a book that's got this gritty glow in the dark crap on the covers... why? It's a bit silly. Just more stuff to get damaged, is how I see it.
    bit of gutter loss?? In a 2016 collected edition? Honestly that's pathetic.

Incredible Member

bit of gutter loss?? In a 2016 collected edition? Honestly that's pathetic.
    Sure, you can believe that, but the reality is, a lot of books have gutter loss. Almost every book I've bought has some gutter loss. If I was truly worried about that, I wouldn't ever buy most books. Image doesn't have the best quality books, but their books are so much better than others. I'm glad Image is willing to give us a book like Black Science, in that size and price range. If this were DC, you'd get a mousetrap regular trade, then an Absolute with a slipcover that you think is terrible quality, and maybe years after the series comes out, you'd get a deluxe with a plain black cover and a glued binding. BS has a bit of gutter loss, but let's not make it out to be like I said you lose half the page. It's a bit.

It's been very interesting over these years hearing what some collectors will complain about. I collect high end Japanese toy imports. I've been doing so longer than I have collected hardcover comics, which has become my new obsession over the past three years. I jumpstarted my collection by selling some toys. I've learned that the OCD and belly aching comic collectors do is nothing compared to some of the toy collectors - seriously, Macross toy collectors are the absolute worst - but every once in a while someone says something that amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
    I really wish there was a collected edition resource whereby you just type in a single issue and then you get a list of all the collected editions that single issue is available in.

Anyone else think that would be helpful and does maybe it exist but I don't know about it? Wikipedia is helpful sometimes but it doesn't really have that function. Comicvine neither.
    This is the site you're looking for: http://www.comicbookdb.com/index.php?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger77 View Post
    This is the site you're looking for: http://www.comicbookdb.com/index.php?

Wow that seems absolutely perfect. Thanks a lot seems like a really well put together website and resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    the cheapest quote wins.

sadly, quality wise the only books worth getting now seem to be DH and Absolutes
    That will explain the awful build quality on the last The Walking Dead slipcase.

Are there not deluxe hardcover volumes of IDW's TMNT series?
    The current ongoing series? If so then yes. One volume has been released and I believe is OOP. The second volume is due out in march. They are titled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the IDW collection.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Head and tail ribbons (or bands) are not the same as a book mark ribbon. They're the piece of asthetic that lines both the top and bottom of a bound book where the pages are bound, usually colored or striped. It makes the book look cheap with out it. I believe thats what really pissed me off, as im not one to typically complain either. Admittedly these are not necessary, but I haven't bought a hc In the last three years (since I started hc's) from ANY publisher that didn't include these, shitty binding or not. And yes the binding/gutter loss is annoying considering what I've come to expect from both Remender's previous releases and image as a whole. Why even bother to produce an absolute sized collection if your not gonna take full advantage the format?
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-10-2016 at 05:25 AM.