Page 517 of 865 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527567617 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 12974
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Got to say I'm disappointed with the binding of Black Science as well. I couldn't care less about those head and tail bands, but it's quite the mousetrap binding, the sort of binding we knew from some years ago on DC books. Really looks like a rush job and not what I'm used to for Image books. As a comparison MHP deluxe 2 has sewn binding and is not glued to the spine. Nothing beats Humanoids, Dark Horse and Fantagraphics books though...

Either way, the books that came in today:

nice haul, martin! damn, need to finally read that first copra.
    how's are you enjoying love & rockets? my two attempts to jump onboard with earlier stories pretty much failed... are the new stories volumes maybe a better entry point?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    someone is selling all three slipcases on eBay for a buy it now pretty penny, i was considering getting them as the cash isn't a problem (i can always sell my marvel whales if needs be) but having a google of some of the pages, I'm not sure i want to as i don't think the art is going to be my thing, i really want to get into and buy some high quality books, but i can't decided on what to get, maybe some of these artist editions, but they are so fuckin big!!!
    Wow, you don't like Moebious' art?! Wow....

If money's not a problem get Sin City Library editions.

Cant' help you with arist editions I have only ones from Graphitti Designs ones, not the same thing.

How much was it for those slipcases?

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Wow, you don't like Moebious' art?! Wow....

If money's not a problem get Sin City Library editions.

Cant' help you with arist editions I have only ones from Graphitti Designs ones, not the same thing.

How much was it for those slipcases?
    £500, Incal and the prequel have been opened and read, final incal still sealed, just a few reviews say it is a bit new agey and preachy.

Have looked to get the Sin City LE's but there was talk of FM doing another book, if that happens DH will probably release some new super dooper editions

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Isn't one of the English versions of Incal censored? I was going to buy the HCs but not into censorship. The available HCs aren't the slipcases but still look incredibly nice. Also I'm not positive but amazon might have the first printing of black science. When it was originally supposed to come out they were shipping me one and I had it returned since I heard how awful the first one was and how it would be corrected. Figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    £500, Incal and the prequel have been opened and read, final incal still sealed, just a few reviews say it is a bit new agey and preachy.

Have looked to get the Sin City LE's but there was talk of FM doing another book, if that happens DH will probably release some new super dooper editions
    Pretty penny indeed.

Pretty penny indeed.
    not the going rate then? i may dip my toe into a regular edition first.

so have just done that, The Incal from speedyhen £18.20
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 02-12-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Incredible Member

Hellboy if your curious about Humanoids books my local Waterstones has started to stock them (in fact the graphic novel section of Waterstones has gone up in quality quite a lot lately, lots and lots of stuff outside the big two) so it might be worth checking the one near you. Obviously they charge full cover price but you can at least check out the art/build quality before you make your decision.

I have a habit of wondering in if I'm passing just to see if they've got anything fancy on the shelves (the nearest proper comics shop to me is an hours train journey to either southampton or center of london).

Spectacular Member

Would you recommend me some weird like hell, crazy-bat-****, over the top books with ridiculous ideas? The weirder the better.

Also looking for some funny stories which would make me laught. Just realized I haven't read many comic books like that. My sense of humor is specific: I love It's Always Sunny in Phily, Trailer Park Boys, Monthy Python, The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek - this book is amazing, I was crying reading it - and I also like character you can get attached to, not just talking heads. I'm talking stuff from Terry Moore or Usagi Yojimbo.

Last but not least: crime drama stories. I have Gotham Central, books from Brubaker and Philips - love Criminal one of the best books from Marvel - and some other stuff.
    I'm tempted to recommend 'Scud' based on the above! There's no HC available though there's a nice omni TPB from Image which should be easily available for cheap.

It's the story of a disposable killer robot who goes on a rampage (but there's more to it, and the characters are super funny), written and illustrated by Rob Schrab (with Dan Harmon doing some cameos) - it's all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    I'm tempted to recommend 'Scud' based on the above! There's no HC available though there's a nice omni TPB from Image which should be easily available for cheap.

It's the story of a disposable killer robot who goes on a rampage (but there's more to it, and the characters are super funny), written and illustrated by Rob Schrab (with Dan Harmon doing some cameos) - it's all over the place!
    Thanks! There is HC but costs a fortune, even tpb ain't cheap.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scud-Shebang...5278747&sr=1-1

About Humanoids and Incal.
    I've read the Incal first but wasn't really crazy about it. Good stuff and I like Moebius' art but it's just not for me.
    Then I've read Metabarons which I loved, it was balls to the wall, ridiculously crazy an imaginative and just couldn't believe what I'm reading. Art is really different to Moebius.
    So after that I bought Before the Incal, Incal and Final Incal but only read Before since then, basically same experience with the main Incal universe than before.
    Bought a bunch of other Humanoids books but only liked half of them, the only one I actually sold though was Child of the storm but didn't really get Shamanism either, maybe I will reread it at some point. Pretty sure Son of the Gun will be sold as well.
    Since then I completely stopped buying Humanoids, only bought Bouncer (haven't read it yet) even tough I really wanted to get white Lama but I just can't force myself to make the purchase and have like other 5 unread Humanoids books too.
    Quality wise they are really good, the only thing that bugs me is the bloody ribbon which most of the time leaves a mark on the pages.

Incredible Member

Would you recommend me some weird like hell, crazy-bat-****, over the top books with ridiculous ideas? The weirder the better.

Also looking for some funny stories which would make me laught. Just realized I haven't read many comic books like that. My sense of humor is specific: I love It's Always Sunny in Phily, Trailer Park Boys, Monthy Python, The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek - this book is amazing, I was crying reading it - and I also like character you can get attached to, not just talking heads. I'm talking stuff from Terry Moore or Usagi Yojimbo.

Last but not least: crime drama stories. I have Gotham Central, books from Brubaker and Philips - love Criminal one of the best books from Marvel - and some other stuff.
    For funny I'd recommend Barry Ween its rude, crude and hilarious.

For weird/ridiculous if you've not picked up Chew yet get on board. A world where an outbreak of bird flu lead to the outlawing of chicken and the Food and Drug Administration has more power than the FBI. And people have lots of food based powers. Also, and possibly most importantly, Chew has Poyo

For crime. Vertigo release as series of small cheap hardcovers of one and done Crime stories by various creative teams and you can pick them up super cheap on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Hellboy if your curious about Humanoids books my local Waterstones has started to stock them (in fact the graphic novel section of Waterstones has gone up in quality quite a lot lately, lots and lots of stuff outside the big two) so it might be worth checking the one near you. Obviously they charge full cover price but you can at least check out the art/build quality before you make your decision.

I have a habit of wondering in if I'm passing just to see if they've got anything fancy on the shelves (the nearest proper comics shop to me is an hours train journey to either southampton or center of london).
    cheers for the advice, will have to take a trip to Waterstones and see what else they have, have already ordered The Incal from speedyhen as i can always sell it if not my cup of tea, thought it best to buy the cheap one first rather than jump fully into the slipcase editions

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    For funny I'd recommend Barry Ween its rude, crude and hilarious.

For weird/ridiculous if you've not picked up Chew yet get on board. A world where an outbreak of bird flu lead to the outlawing of chicken and the Food and Drug Administration has more power than the FBI. And people have lots of food based powers. Also, and possibly most importantly, Chew has Poyo

For crime. Vertigo release as series of small cheap hardcovers of one and done Crime stories by various creative teams and you can pick them up super cheap on Amazon
    You got me with Barry Ween.

I know about Chew, never have enough money to get it.

Have some of those Vertigo HC's, they're not good.

You got me with Barry Ween.

I know about Chew, never have enough money to get it.

Have some of those Vertigo HC's, they're not good.
    chew is not that expensive but you can always try the first tpb, haven't looked it up but you can probably get it for like 3 pounds or so (it's one of the cheap Image vol1-s). If you like it just upgrade to the deluxes. I think it's well worth it.

Well, Cerebus is still the greatest laugh out loud comic to me, particularly High Society and Church & State (the later volumes not so much). Think about it: an aardvark barbarian who becomes prime minister and then pope of a country that is secretly run by a Groucho Marx lookalike; then there's the constant parodies on 80s and 90s superheros (Secret Sacred Wars Roach, Wolveroach, Punisheroach), Elrod the Albino (a riff on Moorcock's Elric) who talks like Foghorn Leghorn and others. On top of that, it's also incredibly clever in commenting on politics and society, the role of religion etc. and has amazing art. What's not to like?

The "phonebook" collections are comparatively cheap and easy to find (Amazon etc.) as well. If you decide to get it, start with vol. 2 (High Society), since vol. 1 has sub-par art for the most part (Sim's earliest work) and is too much of a simple parody of Conan the Barbarian.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 02-12-2016 at 07:38 AM.