Page 518 of 836 FirstFirst ... 18418468508514515516517518519520521522528568618 ... LastLast
Results 7,756 to 7,770 of 12528
  1. #7756
    Mighty Member LordJulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Would you recommend me some weird like hell, crazy-bat-shit, over the top books with ridiculous ideas? The weirder the better.

    Also looking for some funny stories which would make me laught. Just realized I haven't read many comic books like that. My sense of humor is specific: I love It's Always Sunny in Phily, Trailer Park Boys, Monthy Python, The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek - this book is amazing, I was crying reading it - and I also like character you can get attached to, not just talking heads. I'm talking stuff from Terry Moore or Usagi Yojimbo.

    Last but not least: crime drama stories. I have Gotham Central, books from Brubaker and Philips - love Criminal one of the best books from Marvel - and some other stuff.
    Well, Cerebus is still the greatest laugh out loud comic to me, particularly High Society and Church & State (the later volumes not so much). Think about it: an aardvark barbarian who becomes prime minister and then pope of a country that is secretly run by a Groucho Marx lookalike; then there's the constant parodies on 80s and 90s superheros (Secret Sacred Wars Roach, Wolveroach, Punisheroach), Elrod the Albino (a riff on Moorcock's Elric) who talks like Foghorn Leghorn and others. On top of that, it's also incredibly clever in commenting on politics and society, the role of religion etc. and has amazing art. What's not to like?

    The "phonebook" collections are comparatively cheap and easy to find (Amazon etc.) as well. If you decide to get it, start with vol. 2 (High Society), since vol. 1 has sub-par art for the most part (Sim's earliest work) and is too much of a simple parody of Conan the Barbarian.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 02-12-2016 at 07:38 AM.

  2. #7757
    Mighty Member lvizzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Well, Cerebus is still the greatest laugh out loud comic to me, particularly High Society and Church & State (the later volumes not so much). Think about it: an aardvark barbarian who becomes prime minister and then pope of a country that is secretly run by a Groucho Marx lookalike; then there's the constant parodies on 80s and 90s superheros (Secret Sacred Wars Roach, Wolveroach, Punisheroach), Elrod the Albino (a riff on Moorcock's Elric) who talks like Foghorn Leghorn and others. On top of that, it's also incredibly clever in commenting on politics and society, the role of religion etc. and has amazing art. What's not to like?

    The "phonebook" collections are comparatively cheap and easy to find (Amazon etc.) as well. If you decide to get it, start with vol. 2 (High Society), since vol. 1 has sub-par art for the most part (Sim's earliest work) and is too much of a simple parody of Conan the Barbarian.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, I know about Cerebus - Cerebrus from ME games? - but didn't realise it's that good. No hardcovers?

  3. #7758
    Mighty Member LordJulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, I know about Cerebus - Cerebrus from ME games? - but didn't realise it's that good. No hardcovers?
    Nope, THIS Cerebus:


    https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...yAEQMwhTKFAwUA

    https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...yAEQMwhOKEswSw

    https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&iact=c&ictx=1

    https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...w4ZBAzCDgoNTA1

    Cerebus is only available in TPBs.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 02-12-2016 at 08:21 AM.

  4. #7759
    Amazing Member Transmit Him's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Anyone heard anything about whether or not Brubaker and Epting's Velvet might be getting an OHC?

  5. #7760
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    You got me with Barry Ween.

    I know about Chew, never have enough money to get it.

    Have some of those Vertigo HC's, they're not good.
    For crime, you can't beat Stray Bullets.

  6. #7761
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    For funny I'd say Superior Foes for that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia kind of humor, mixed with great visual puns and a wacky plot, and The Goon for bizarre, wacky humor that'll just crack you up. Think spontaneously combusting chimpanzees, eye-knifing, zombies that burst into classical song etc. Brilliant stuff
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

  7. #7762
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    For crime, you can't beat Stray Bullets.
    Reading that now and finding it an interesting, but quite demented read from time to time. I'm personally more a fan of the more refined noir works but to each their own. Maybe it'll grow on me, like Sin City grew on me.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

  8. #7763
    Mighty Member lvizzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    For crime, you can't beat Stray Bullets.
    No HC right? I know there was slipcase edition but 'good luck getting that' kind of thing.

  9. #7764
    Mighty Member lvizzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    For funny I'd say Superior Foes for that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia kind of humor, mixed with great visual puns and a wacky plot, and The Goon for bizarre, wacky humor that'll just crack you up. Think spontaneously combusting chimpanzees, eye-knifing, zombies that burst into classical song etc. Brilliant stuff
    Don't really like Spidey anymore. Used to read it as a kid, McFarlane, Larsen stuff, Carnage whatever that was saga, Clone wtf saga and gave up.

  10. #7765
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Don't really like Spidey anymore. Used to read it as a kid, McFarlane, Larsen stuff, Carnage whatever that was saga, Clone wtf saga and gave up.
    Luckily it doesn't involve Spidey in any way! It's pure heist fun involving obscure villains.
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 02-12-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

  11. #7766
    multiple choice Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Deadworld
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    No HC right? I know there was slipcase edition but 'good luck getting that' kind of thing.
    Stray Bullets has 3 oversized hardcovers from bitd. They weren't expensive or too sought after last I checked. They collected maybe half of the original series before they ceased. The Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition is a tpb but it's got the entire 41-issue run in one nice book. Based on what I've discerned from your tastes, you would probably dig it.

  12. #7767
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Brussels, EU
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    For funny I'd recommend Barry Ween its rude, crude and hilarious.

    For weird/ridiculous if you've not picked up Chew yet get on board. A world where an outbreak of bird flu lead to the outlawing of chicken and the Food and Drug Administration has more power than the FBI. And people have lots of food based powers. Also, and possibly most importantly, Chew has Poyo

    For crime. Vertigo release as series of small cheap hardcovers of one and done Crime stories by various creative teams and you can pick them up super cheap on Amazon
    Yep, Barry has my vote as well! Though it's nothing original to be honest: "calvin and Hobbes gone wild" with some kind of a plot, which adds substance to the whole thing, of course!

  13. #7768
    Mighty Member LordJulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    So we're getting Lemire's Underwater Welder from IDW/TopShelf in HC with bonus pages (Aarghh!!),

    http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Wel...3&keywords=idw

    a Eddie Campbell Alec and Bacchus "Omnibox", so some form of slipcase,

    http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Campbell...1&keywords=idw

    and on the Euro comic front, an Alack Sinner TPB:

    http://www.amazon.com/Alack-Sinner-I...4&keywords=idw

  14. #7769
    Rookie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    So we're getting Lemire's Underwater Welder from IDW/TopShelf in HC with bonus pages (Aarghh!!),

    http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Wel...3&keywords=idw

    a Eddie Campbell Alec and Bacchus "Omnibox", so some form of slipcase,

    http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Campbell...1&keywords=idw

    and on the Euro comic front, an Alack Sinner TPB:

    http://www.amazon.com/Alack-Sinner-I...4&keywords=idw
    I can only see that Campbell box being worth it if the books are hardcover. I feel like pulling TPBs in and out of the slipcase would eventually wear on the corners, apart from being inconvenient to pull off the shelf. Anyone have experience with the recent From Hell slipcase?

  15. #7770
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    315

    Default

    http://www.amazon.com/Terminal-City-...5328018&sr=1-7

    Also, next Library Edition from Dark Horse is Terminal City. I'm sure it's great and everything, but I really have to join with the chorus saying why not more Mignolaverse? Lobster Johnson? Abe Sapien at least? How is "hardcover everything!!!" not the standard for Mignolaverse?

    From Image:
    http://www.amazon.com/I-D-Emma-Rios/...328480&sr=1-16

    Looks like the cream of the stories from Island will be collected? This one was good, but kinda short to get it's own collection. Very interesting.

    The Deadly Class Hardcover is up for pre-order now, too, in case no one has noticed yet.
    Last edited by johnsme; 02-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •