Page 519 of 865 FirstFirst ... 19419469509515516517518519520521522523529569619 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    So we're getting Lemire's Underwater Welder from IDW/TopShelf in HC with bonus pages (Aarghh!!),

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Wel...3&keywords=idw

a Eddie Campbell Alec and Bacchus "Omnibox", so some form of slipcase,

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Campbell...1&keywords=idw

and on the Euro comic front, an Alack Sinner TPB:

http://www.amazon.com/Alack-Sinner-I...4&keywords=idw
    well all I can say for all three is shame it's not...
    oversized
    hardcover
    hardcover

I already have the Campbell books in paperback so pass. Started Bacchus but didn't really grab me so haven't touched any of them since then (and I was really excited to read them).
    Weirdly, I'm not so crazy about Lemire, Essex county wasn't really my thing, it's good but didn't live up to the hype for me. Liked his Green Arrow well enough though. Might get this one.
    Could have swore Alec Sinner was promised to be a hardcover. Oh well, let's see if it actually gets published unlike that bloody Torpedo hc.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    well all I can say for all three is shame it's not...
    oversized
    hardcover
    hardcover

I already have the Campbell books in paperback so pass. Started Bacchus but didn't really grab me so haven't touched any of them since then (and I was really excited to read them).
    Weirdly, I'm not so crazy about Lemire, Essex county wasn't really my thing, it's good but didn't live up to the hype for me. Liked his Green Arrow well enough though. Might get this one.
    Could have swore Alec Sinner was promised to be a hardcover. Oh well, let's see if it actually gets published unlike that bloody Torpedo hc.
    I'm the same way with Lemire. Animal Man is his only superhero work I've read and enjoyed only the first dozen issues of, but all of his original series have left me underwhelmed due to their sameness of tone and character. Essex County is probably the best of what I've read (Sweet Tooth builds to some decent twists, but I couldn't imagine reading it month-to-month) but he's someone I wish would write less so it all didn't blend together in my head.

Somebody's here buying Heavy Metal magazine? Thinking about subscription.

All-New Member

I see there is some disappointment with the new Black Science Premiere HC, which is disappointing to me as I was looking forward to it (I haven't read any of it, and it looks very interesting). I do see on instocktrades that there is a DCBS Variant edition of the Black Science Premiere HC. Is the build to that one any different from the glued binding build of the regular edition? Or is it just a different cover?

Also, how about the Crawl Space Omnibus by Rick Remender? How is that (build quality and story wise)?

All-New Member

Both Black Science and Crawl Space are gorgeous books imo. Very much worth the money. Marvel charges $35 for TP's with often less material than either of these, which are library-sized. Not to mention the quality of the story.
    The main issue some people seem to have with Image is that they are bound (sewn, yes) a bit tightly. Never had any problems reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry-man View Post
    I see there is some disappointment with the new Black Science Premiere HC, which is disappointing to me as I was looking forward to it (I haven't read any of it, and it looks very interesting). I do see on instocktrades that there is a DCBS Variant edition of the Black Science Premiere HC. Is the build to that one any different from the glued binding build of the regular edition? Or is it just a different cover?

Also, how about the Crawl Space Omnibus by Rick Remender? How is that (build quality and story wise)?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BluB View Post
    Both Black Science and Crawl Space are gorgeous books imo. Very much worth the money. Marvel charges $35 for TP's with often less material than either of these, which are library-sized. Not to mention the quality of the story.
    The main issue some people seem to have with Image is that they are bound (sewn, yes) a bit tightly. Never had any problems reading them.
    Yeah, I still don't know what other people are saying besides the bit of gutter loss. Mine opens fine, no cracking, no wavy pages. Maybe I got lucky. Whatever.

I'm reading Satellite sam, I'm about four issues in and I'm having a difficult time getting through it. I read like half an issue, put it down for a week, then go back, read another 1.5 issues, then put it down for a month, then go back... it's been a real struggle. Anybody else have this problem with SS? Or is it just me? I like Fraction's work, the art by Chaikin is gorgeous... it has all the elements for me to love it. But it's...such... a... slog. Does it get better?

Mighty Member

That premiere HC is only of the first trade, not sure if it's oversized or not. Crawl Space build is nice, its about LE size and sewn binding. As for the content, i didn't care for it very much.

And for the negative remarks with the build, there's plenty of comments and pics detailing the issues with it over the last few pages, and i feel they're warranted.

I enjoyed Satellite Sam, but with a cast that large and being b&w it's not really the kind of book you can put down for a while and jump right back into. But if you're not enjoying the story, it doesn't really matter lol. My biggest issue is with the hand/feet anatomy. I don't know if chaykin didn't care or if that was his style, but it became a bit distracting for me reading with my eye being constantly drawn to it. Shame, as the rest of the art was pretty good.
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-14-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Yeah, I still don't know what other people are saying besides the bit of gutter loss. Mine opens fine, no cracking, no wavy pages. Maybe I got lucky. Whatever.

I'm reading Satellite sam, I'm about four issues in and I'm having a difficult time getting through it. I read like half an issue, put it down for a week, then go back, read another 1.5 issues, then put it down for a month, then go back... it's been a real struggle. Anybody else have this problem with SS? Or is it just me? I like Fraction's work, the art by Chaikin is gorgeous... it has all the elements for me to love it. But it's...such... a... slog. Does it get better?
    I expected hating it since I'm not really a fan of Chaykin and soured a bit on Fraction (although not nearly as much as others around here did) but absolutely loved it and devoured it in a day and a half. Maybe you should put it down and start over when you feel like you are in the right mood for it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    The pages are literally glued into the spine block. No other Image HC that I have does this. Unless you're right in the middle pages, you need to pry the book open at all times in order to read it and keep it from flipping shut. This is NOT normal for Image deluxe HCs (I have several others, all with better bindings, none glued in this way) I'll admit, the pages in mine aren't unusually wavy though. But the gutter loss and mousetrap binding is far from the Image standard and is exceedingly frustrating to read through. If yours stays open on its own, maybe you did get lucky, because that's not the case for most people. Just look at the reviews this collection is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Somebody's here buying Heavy Metal magazine? Thinking about subscription.
    I collect old issues, i'm not sure about quality of new stuff, maybe try before buy?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I expected hating it since I'm not really a fan of Chaykin and soured a bit on Fraction (although not nearly as much as others around here did) but absolutely loved it and devoured it in a day and a half. Maybe you should put it down and start over when you feel like you are in the right mood for it.
    I read four issues straight last night. Took me a while but it's getting easier now. Maybe you're right, I just wasn't in the right mood for it. Still not 100% sure how I feel about it but it looks like I'll be able to get through it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    The pages are literally glued into the spine block. No other Image HC that I have does this. Unless you're right in the middle pages, you need to pry the book open at all times in order to read it and keep it from flipping shut. This is NOT normal for Image deluxe HCs (I have several others, all with better bindings, none glued in this way) I'll admit, the pages in mine aren't unusually wavy though. But the gutter loss and mousetrap binding is far from the Image standard and is exceedingly frustrating to read through. If yours stays open on its own, maybe you did get lucky, because that's not the case for most people. Just look at the reviews this collection is getting.
    Fair enough.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    That premiere HC is only of the first trade, not sure if it's oversized or not. Crawl Space build is nice, its about LE size and sewn binding. As for the content, i didn't care for it very much.

And for the negative remarks with the build, there's plenty of comments and pics detailing the issues with it over the last few pages, and i feel they're warranted.

I enjoyed Satellite Sam, but with a cast that large and being b&w it's not really the kind of book you can put down for a while and jump right back into. But if you're not enjoying the story, it doesn't really matter lol. My biggest issue is with the hand/feet anatomy. I don't know if chaykin didn't care or if that was his style, but it became a bit distracting for me reading with my eye being constantly drawn to it. Shame, as the rest of the art was pretty good.
    These hands... These feet... Couldn't get over that.

All-New Member

Thanks for the comments about the Black Science HC. The fact that Image made a lesser quality edition after the very minor print error of the first printing is very disappointing.

Though, I am still wondering if there is any difference between the DCBS variant edition and the standard edition, aside from the different cover art. Instocktrades.com has both of them.

I'm returning my Black Science HC. It is every bit as bad as people are saying. I'll get the trades.

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the comments about the Black Science HC. The fact that Image made a lesser quality edition after the very minor print error of the first printing is very disappointing.

Though, I am still wondering if there is any difference between the DCBS variant edition and the standard edition, aside from the different cover art. Instocktrades.com has both of them.
    I tweeted dcbs and they said their copies are the same quality as the regular. I love Remender to death, but I think this is one time I am going to pass on getting a hardcover of his work. What pains me more is how psyched I was for Matteo Scalera's work in oversized form. I'm glad I have the single issues though and I will likely be binding them (Smythe sewn style) in the near future.