Page 531 of 865 FirstFirst ... 31431481521527528529530531532533534535541581631 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,965 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Thanks for all that... I'm sorry to inform you though that there have been 6 of those dossieruitgaven, both in Dutch and in French Vol. 5 is Vacances sans histoires, and vol. 6 is La Quick Super.

Looks like Dupuis is in a hurry to publish these new editions, since all 11 volumes will be published in 2016. Two volumes tomorrow and two more in April or May... oh my poor wallet, but at least I won't have to wait that long then till the really good stuff in volume 11.
    You're right, but the last one was published in 2014 and there hasn't been any new one announced, so I'm quite skeptical.

However, you don't have to wait for vol. 11 to get to the great stuff. The first really great stories should be in vol. 3 or 4 of the Dutch edition - basically as soon as the Marsupilami has fully developed as a character.

EDIT:

Vol. 3 is certainly great: "De Dictator en de Paddenstoel" is one of the most well-received stories, afaik (I certainly loved it).
    Last edited by LordJulius; 03-01-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Awesome I will definitely get those first two volumes this week

And yeah seems unlikely there's more of the dossier editions coming, but who knows... publishers move in mysterious ways sometimes.

Awesome I will definitely get those first two volumes this week

And yeah seems unlikely there's more of the dossier editions coming, but who knows... publishers move in mysterious ways sometimes.
    If you've really got some money left, you'll get one of these (with thanks to some guy named "vark" or something:

http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...etzelburg.html

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    If you've really got some money left, you'll get one of these (with thanks to some guy named "vark" or something:

http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...etzelburg.html
    OMG 1600€ on amazon.fr!!! Crazy!! You know the thing is sometimes... you get these editions when they come out and then a couple of years later they're worth a fortune. It's the same with music sometimes. I got the David Bowie Backstar LP in clear vinyl, day later he dies and now people are willing to pay 10x what I paid for it.

Oh and I love vark's collection. Some truly amazing books there. The French and their bande dessinées

OMG 1600€ on amazon.fr!!! Crazy!! You know the thing is sometimes... you get these editions when they come out and then a couple of years later they're worth a fortune. It's the same with music sometimes. I got the David Bowie Backstar LP in clear vinyl, day later he dies and now people are willing to pay 10x what I paid for it.

Oh and I love vark's collection. Some truly amazing books there. The French and their bande dessinées
    That is crazy money, yeah. Some other volumes are still available at the "bargain price" of €190.

Sometimes its also quite a surprise when books increase in price. For example, I only discovered by accident last year that the Civil War Spider-Man OHC (a book that isn't even particularly good) suddenly went for silly money on Amazon and ebay. With the Spirou AE type book I can at least understand it since it's a comparatively special edition and also a limited edition.

Love Vark's site as well, but I'm more and more wary of looking at it, particularly since I started to read comics in the original French. Way too many things on there to spend my money on.

Thanks guys! I suspect that there are some speculators at work with some of the volumes in that collection because a print run of 2000 copies for a 119€ cover price book is not what I called a very low print run.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    That is crazy money, yeah. Some other volumes are still available at the "bargain price" of €190.

Sometimes its also quite a surprise when books increase in price. For example, I only discovered by accident last year that the Civil War Spider-Man OHC (a book that isn't even particularly good) suddenly went for silly money on Amazon and ebay. With the Spirou AE type book I can at least understand it since it's a comparatively special edition and also a limited edition.

Love Vark's site as well, but I'm more and more wary of looking at it, particularly since I started to read comics in the original French. Way too many things on there to spend my money on.
    Beg to differ there: from all the Civil War books I enjoyed the Spider-Man and the Frontline books the most. If you can get around the whole silly concept of the registration part that is...
    For the crazy price: That beats me every time. I bought that book many moons ago when it was readily available and I payed 50 or 60 Euros I guess for that. But some guys are just demanding crazy prices for a book. Lately I stumbled upon a white whale of mine which has a cover price of 60$. The guy on ebay wants 650$ for that. I offered 120$, being my limit before my brain kicks in and tells me, there are more important things than this book. Some guys don't want to sell stuff obviously....

Never bought any Spirou since it looked quite kiddy, but with you guys loving it so much I suppose I have to give it a try. Tomorrow there's a new hardcover collection starting in Dutch.

Do you know Aalto if those 'dossier uitgaven' editions, of which Bravo les Brothers is the first volume, are also collected in this new hardcover collection, or will it just be the stories (I've read the SSZ.be article)? What else is in the 'dossier uitgaven' and why should I get those (or not)?
    Spirou/Robbedoes is not an in depth reflection of the human condition or anything like that but they're a prime example of the high point of Belgian magazine comics IMO. They're good fun adventure comics for all ages with some fantastic art, especially in the later stories. They're putting the really early stuff in the later volumes in this new reprint series (vol. 9 & 10). That stuff is not that great TBH, although it is cool to see Franquin grow and develop his style from story to story. The ones they're starting with are perfectly readable as an adult 60 years later, even if they were originally intended for Belgian youth in the 50's/60's
    The dossier editions all have facsimiles of the original art in the back of the book, along with a lengthy article on the making of the story, I doubt that the facsimiles will be included in the new collections but some parts of the articles will probably be ported over to those editions. These new editions look to be excellent value for money, collecting pretty much the entirety of Franquin's Spirou. I already have the old Rombaldi collections from the 80's but otherwise I'd definitely be picking up these new ones.
    Last edited by aaltomuoto; 03-01-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Super happy I got Street Fighter Ultimate Collection volume 2 deluxe HC today. Beautiful. Sorry my pictures are always crap...

The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Finished Sleeper and I don't really know what to say except that was hell of a ride, book kept me on edge all time. One of the best.

What's next now? Hm, let's see, maybe Animal Man.

Also got Scud in tpb. Seems like there's been a new batch, bought it from Amazon for cover. Delivered in standard cardboard envelope, couple dinks here and there, nothing mayor but could've been better. Keep looking guys.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Finished Sleeper and I don't really know what to say except that was hell of a ride, book kept me on edge all time. One of the best.

What's next now? Hm, let's see, maybe Animal Man.

Also got Scud in tpb. Seems like there's been a new batch, bought it from Amazon for cover. Delivered in standard cardboard envelope, couple dinks here and there, nothing mayor but could've been better. Keep looking guys.
    Animal Man is quite different and the art is not nearly as good. I have no idea what to recommend after Sleeper It's just soooo good. When I've first read it I've read Criminal and Incognito after that, I just had to read more Brubaker.
    Maybe 100 bullets?
    Something from Ellis or Ennis?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Animal Man is quite different and the art is not nearly as good. I have no idea what to recommend after Sleeper It's just soooo good. When I've first read it I've read Criminal and Incognito after that, I just had to read more Brubaker.
    Maybe 100 bullets?
    Something from Ellis or Ennis?
    Ennis? Sure, looking for The Boys vol 3 and Punisher omni for cover.

Not sure about 100 Bullets, been thinking about DMZ.

BTW Punisher Max by Aaron going slowly OOP? I don't have it, I remember it used to be around 30 quid and now it's 45-47.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Ennis? Sure, looking for The Boys vol 3 and Punisher omni for cover.

Not sure about 100 Bullets, been thinking about DMZ.

BTW Punisher Max by Aaron going slowly OOP? I don't have it, I remember it used to be around 30 quid and now it's 45-47.
    Yeah I think it's one of the clearance books this year so you probably should get it now if you want it.
    I've read 100 bullets years ago and wasn't the biggest fan of it but want to buy the new trades now. But, it's not a bad book there was just something about the writing style that bugged me but I'm pretty sure I will be a big fan this time (or at least hope so).
    Risso's art is awesome and the book maintains a constant quality IIRC.

On the other hand, while I've never read DMZ I heard from several sources that it takes a nose dive after the first or second story arc. That always put me off buying it.

What is there to know about Usagi Yojimbo? Sitting here listening to the audio commentary for a fistful of dollars and guy is on about it being based on a Kurosawa movie (which I kinda knew about but wasn't sure of which film) so he mentioned Yojimbo and I remember talk on here about Usagi Yojimbo, so looking it up (Rabbit Bodyguard) it seems like something I may be interested in trying out.

Now there seems to be a very expensive fantagraph slipcase, and then it gets picked up by Dark Horse, so questions, is it good? Or do you have to have a love for old, highbrow comics? As the only thing that I could class as highbrow which I have read was cerebus, which I enjoyed up until just after church and state when I thought it disappeared up it's own arse.

And how do you collect it? Are the DH books LE sized? And do you need the fantagraph slipcase or has DH reprinted it?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    What is there to know about Usagi Yojimbo? Sitting here listening to the audio commentary for a fistful of dollars and guy is on about it being based on a Kurosawa movie (which I kinda knew about but wasn't sure of which film) so he mentioned Yojimbo and I remember talk on here about Usagi Yojimbo, so looking it up (Rabbit Bodyguard) it seems like something I may be interested in trying out.

Now there seems to be a very expensive fantagraph slipcase, and then it gets picked up by Dark Horse, so questions, is it good? Or do you have to have a love for old, highbrow comics? As the only thing that I could class as highbrow which I have read was cerebus, which I enjoyed up until just after church and state when I thought it disappeared up it's own arse.

And how do you collect it? Are the DH books LE sized? And do you need the fantagraph slipcase or has DH reprinted it?
    Fantagraphics own the rights to the first seven volumes the expensive hardcover slipcase you talk about has been reprinted recently in a paperback slipcase http://www.amazon.co.uk/Usagi-Yojimb...dp/1606998870/

After that point it all falls under the dark horse label, all the Dark Horse volumes, both the paperback and the limited (and now very expensive for volume one) hardcover (other than the Artist Edition) are standard sized.

You don't need the fantagraphics books to appreciate the Dark Horse ones the vast majority of the stories are independant of each other, at a very basic level all you need to know is that Usagi is a Ronin, his master is dead and he now wanders the countryside selling his service and getting into adventures. I'll probably get shouted down for this comparison but it kind of reminds me of the Asterix books I grew up on as a kid you could pick those up in absolutely any order all you needed to know was Asterix is a Gaul and he hates the Romans and you can dive right in. The stories are quite serious in tone and they touch on a lot of both real japenese history and the mythology and folklore. I'd recommend getting your hands on one of the cheap Dark Horse paperbacks and see how it takes you.