Page 54 of 865 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154554 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    I already thought they were deleted... lol... good to see them get their own thread. Better move those two posts by victor and my reply there too. Thx NZ!
    I wouldn't do that, I started reading it and was like this is way too good to be tucked away in this thread. I will move those over.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Well I started on the second cycle of The Third Testament and based on that I would definitely recommend getting that first volume (for just $10) from Titan Comics I mentioned above. I'm sure I will!! Furthermore check out these:
    - Genetiks
    - Chimpansee Complex
    - Siegfried
    - The Killer
    - Blacksad
    - Tardi books from Fantagraphics (esp. WW1 books)
    - Okko
    - Peter Pan (Loisel)
    - A Bag of Marbles
    - Incal
    - District 14
    - The Fantastic Voyage of Lady Rozenbilt
    - Milan K.
    - etc. etc.
    Nice, thanks a lot! I'll check out all of these (only Euro comic I have is Snowpiercer and I haven't got to reading that one yet.)
    I already thought they were deleted... lol... good to see them get their own thread. Better move those two posts by victor and my reply there too. Thx NZ!
    The subject is definitely worth it's own thread. I bet there are many more like me who need you Martin haha
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Incredible Member

For those that know, which Remender book would be recommended to start with? Strange Girl, Uncanny X-Force or Fear Agent? I have never read his work.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    For those that know, which Remender book would be recommended to start with? Strange Girl, Uncanny X-Force or Fear Agent? I have never read his work.
    Id say Fear Agent. It's what I starts with and it is so good it made me seek out his other stuff (and I've only read the first Library Edition of it so far). This goes double if you like sci-fi. Strange Girl was what I went to next and I loved that as well. The only problem I had with it is that the artist changes fairly often, but it is still a great story. You will like it a lot if explorations of faith and questioning belief systems is something you are into, but I wouldn't say that is a pre-requisite for enjoying it because it is a really good story with strong characterization. Uncanny X-Force is amazing. I loved it in spite of not being very into X-Men lore (and there is a great "History of the X-Force" in the back of the omnibus that fills you in on anything you would need to know before reading the story, although reading that is not even really necessary if you can just roll with the plot) and I usually dont care for Deadpool, but he actually works very well here as part of the group due to Remender's writing (he has said he wrote him as if he was the main character of his "Black Heart Billy" which you may also want to check out eventually). So basically what im saying is in my opinion you could throw a rock anywhere in Remender's oeuvre and hit a good story, but just pick the one of the three that you think sounds best.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Got a bunch of great new books in this past week. Unpictured is Daredevil OHC Vol. 1 by Mark Waid because I forgot to put it in there.

Attachment 2842
    I thought American Barbarian was a really fun book, entertaining to see what Scioli does, left to his own devices.

I would love to hear your thoughts on Andre the Giant.
    i loved andre the giant! art style is very simple, but works for the story. i was huge into wrestling when i was a kid, so getting this behind the scenes look at andre was great. nice quick read, highly recommended!
    formerly 'weeks'

Fantastic Member

I'd go with Fear Agent. It's just got everything I look for in a comic. It's full of crazy action, has a great protagonist, loads of artistic eye candy and is just plain FUN. Plus, the 2 volume set of HCs are just beautiful...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Id say Fear Agent. It's what I starts with and it is so good it made me seek out his other stuff (and I've only read the first Library Edition of it so far). This goes double if you like sci-fi. Strange Girl was what I went to next and I loved that as well. The only problem I had with it is that the artist changes fairly often, but it is still a great story. You will like it a lot if explorations of faith and questioning belief systems is something you are into, but I wouldn't say that is a pre-requisite for enjoying it because it is a really good story with strong characterization. Uncanny X-Force is amazing. I loved it in spite of not being very into X-Men lore (and there is a great "History of the X-Force" in the back of the omnibus that fills you in on anything you would need to know before reading the story, although reading that is not even really necessary if you can just roll with the plot) and I usually dont care for Deadpool, but he actually works very well here as part of the group due to Remender's writing (he has said he wrote him as if he was the main character of his "Black Heart Billy" which you may also want to check out eventually). So basically what im saying is in my opinion you could throw a rock anywhere in Remender's oeuvre and hit a good story, but just pick the one of the three that you think sounds best.
    Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I'd go with Fear Agent. It's just got everything I look for in a comic. It's full of crazy action, has a great protagonist, loads of artistic eye candy and is just plain FUN. Plus, the 2 volume set of HCs are just beautiful...
    Thanks. Yeah, I was leaning towards Fear Agent. It just screams fun. I think I'll go Fear Agent, then X-force, then Strange Girl.

All-New Member

Can anyone recommend Ennis's The Boys definitive editions? They are much pricier for the series as a whole, and I see an omnibus edition being released in july. There are many reviews on amazon for definitive vol 1 saying the paper quality is poor.

Any thoughts? I love Ennis as a writer, yet don't have any of this story collected yet. I generally prefer hardcovers if available, but those prices are keeping me away.

Thanks. Yeah, I was leaning towards Fear Agent. It just screams fun. I think I'll go Fear Agent, then X-force, then Strange Girl.
    I'd definitely start with FA as well.. It gives you a snapshot of his sensibilities and a beautifully constructed book to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStayPuft View Post
    Can anyone recommend Ennis's The Boys definitive editions? They are much pricier for the series as a whole, and I see an omnibus edition being released in july. There are many reviews on amazon for definitive vol 1 saying the paper quality is poor.

Any thoughts? I love Ennis as a writer, yet don't have any of this story collected yet. I generally prefer hardcovers if available, but those prices are keeping me away.
    I loved this series from the get go. I haven't read far into the series, but the first two tpb had me hooked.

Fantastic Member

Sooo... Does anybody bought Final Incal Ultra Deluxe?

I want to buy it - but I can't pay 590 dollars for a one book. It is irrational. Holy Christ, I paid only $350 for signed copy of Codex Seraphinianus!

IST has a few copies with 25% discount, but even for $400 it is too much for me

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    Sooo... Does anybody bought Final Incal Ultra Deluxe?

I want to buy it - but I can't pay 590 dollars for a one book. It is irrational. Holy Christ, I paid only $350 for signed copy of Codex Seraphinianus!

IST has a few copies with 25% discount, but even for $400 it is too much for me
    I just ordered but man that feels crazy. Don't tell my wife! At least it's my only expensive hobby now that huge Bluray and DVD collections make much less sense than then 10 years ago thanks to streaming services.

But paying $350 for Codex Seraphinianus is crazy! I mean: you can't even read it!!! ;-)
    Last edited by Spirou; 05-29-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Yeah. I use stachmycomics actually. It's a website, really nice. Definitely recommend it for keeping track of issues/collections and prices and whatnot.
    This is a late thank-you. I had a look at this site and it looks like it'll be more than sufficient. I wasn't interested in paying for comic-book organization software (wasn't even aware there are companies that charge for things like this), so it was either a free option or MS word. Will add my collection to the website soon.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Has anyone ever considered turning their collection into a library? Or some form of comic-book lounge that would be available for people interested? Was just wondering. There's a new trend nowadays with 'cat-cafes', for city people who live in apartments and aren't allowed to keep pets, so these coffee houses have cats running around, thereby serving two purposes. I was just wondering if anyone thought of this, since comic books are too expensive for kids. Are there intellectual-property laws that would prevent you from starting your own library? I don't live in the US, so for all I know, this is probably already happening.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

I think there are manga cafes in Japan.