Page 541 of 865 FirstFirst ... 41441491531537538539540541542543544545551591641 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,115 of 12974
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've heard White Lama is really good. I was really disappointed by Son of the gun, it's just too on the nose and the story for me doesn't really justifies the horrible thing happen in the book. Got Bouncer as well but haven't touched it yet, waiting for the inspiration.
    I've heard good things about White Lama. Same artist as Son of the gun (The horrors took some doing getting used to, almost as "bad" as Metabarons) as well. Will look it up!

I've eyed through Bouncer a bit. Looks beautiful. I wonder how the story holds up, I've heard it's a bit all over the place.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wollodrin View Post
    Will there also be a normal omnibus for sale in comic shops?
    Not going to pay 66$ shipping + import cost for 1 book.
    Yes, there will be a normal edition (with other cover and not signed/numbered) for comic shops

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    Which storyline did you read? The earlier 'Fort Navajo' stories are way more old fashioned than the later ones (Mostly the entire "confederate gold" storyline that runs from "Chihuahua Pearl" to "Arizona Love"). Although they're definitely more text heavy than today's compressed storytelling.
    Man with Silver Star and two other stories collected in one book.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollodrin View Post
    Will there also be a normal omnibus for sale in comic shops?
    Not going to pay 66$ shipping + import cost for 1 book.
    Yeah, later this year.

Do you pay import for books?

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    You aren't alone on Miller's DD...lots of people don't really care for the material in the first omnibus...the companion is where the true gold is. I agree that it did start to become much better towards the end though.
    As for the Netflix show, season 2 was great..but nowhere near as focused as season 1. I actually didn't mind Elektra..the depiction was a hell of a lot more accurate than the one in the movie thats for sure.
    The first Miller omnibus starts off understandably slow because he's not writing it. It picks up once he takes over those duties and in fact gets better as he turns over the art chores to Janson and focuses solely on the writing. That's probably why the second one is more preferred because he's just doing the writing. Since these were monthly books he wasn't able to invest the quality writing and art like with Sin City, DKR, 300.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    The first Miller omnibus starts off understandably slow because he's not writing it. It picks up once he takes over those duties and in fact gets better as he turns over the art chores to Janson and focuses solely on the writing. That's probably why the second one is more preferred because he's just doing the writing. Since these were monthly books he wasn't able to invest the quality writing and art like with Sin City, DKR, 300.
    I love the omnibus and enjoy it as much as Born Again but don't think it's better, if that makes sense.

I thought season 2 was incredible, loved Elektra. I thought having such a focussed and deep origin and story in season 1 allowed them to carry more side stories in the new one. It's made comic book films seem a bit redundant to me now. It has the highest quality of acting, the action is better then almost everything around and continues to try and better itself and it isn't restricted by a format, it's truly thirteen hours of great storytelling with the only goal of telling a great story. Daredevil is probably my favourite character but it makes me feel like "why the hell should I pay a tenner to go and see an average to good superhero film when I have this 13 hours of awesomeness?"

Is there a best way to collect Ennis' war comics? Something I want to start looking in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post

Is there a best way to collect Ennis' war comics? Something I want to start looking in to.
    Start off with the first two volumes of War Stories, originally published by Vertigo and recently reprinted by Avatar. There's also the recent vol. 3 which has been published by Avatar only (vol. 4 will be out later this year). These are only available as TPBs. The two original Vertigo books have the best art of all of his war books (David Lloyd, Dave Gibbons etc.), but the quality of the writing is constantly great.

Then there are the three HC volumes of Battlefields from Dynamite.

There's also an Enemy Ace TPB (War in Heaven) from DC and "War is Hell: first flight of the Phantom Eagle" from Marvel.

I also count his take on Unknown Soldier (Vertigo) as kind of a war book, same as Fury MAX (My War Gone By), which is sort of a more in depth version of the former.

Lastly, there's Adventures in the Rifle Brigade which mixes Ennis' penchants for war as well as over-the-top black humour a la Hitman.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 03-27-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Hes also currently writing Dreaming Eagles at Aftershock. Though no collection yet.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Great suggestions by LordJulius but I would like to add that Ennis writes more war stories than his actual war stories. What I mean is that Ennis's extreme love for war stories and everything war brings with it that he sprinkles it throughout almost a of his stories. His Punisher is basically one big war story, Hitman has a lot of military elements (including an actual civil war and a clash with British spec ops), Preacher has some war scenes etc. Basically the only Ennis story that doesn't feature some form of war is his Hellblazer, and I've only read Dangerous Habits so I'm not even sure.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Interested in Battlefields series Is series complte and if so does 3 HCs include whole run and are they still inprint? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Great suggestions by LordJulius but I would like to add that Ennis writes more war stories than his actual war stories. What I mean is that Ennis's extreme love for war stories and everything war brings with it that he sprinkles it throughout almost a of his stories. His Punisher is basically one big war story, Hitman has a lot of military elements (including an actual civil war and a clash with British spec ops), Preacher has some war scenes etc. Basically the only Ennis story that doesn't feature some form of war is his Hellblazer, and I've only read Dangerous Habits so I'm not even sure.
    there is an issue where John lives through a battle through a pilot's ghost. Maybe there is another one in Ennis' run, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedor02 View Post
    Interested in Battlefields series Is series complte and if so does 3 HCs include whole run and are they still inprint? Thanks
    The three volumes collect all of the issues and the series seems to be complete, yes. There hasn't been any new issue in a few years now and since Ennis is back at writing "War Stories", I don't think he will for the foreseeable future (as a matter of fact, I think "Battlefields" was just a continuation of "War Stories" with a different title after Vertigo had cancelled the latter).

Just check Amazon.com to see if they are all still in print.

Victor: Sure, yeah. Most of his work references war at some point but I don't think that was what Dayle was asking for.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 03-28-2016 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedor02 View Post
    the 3 hc-s are complete afaik but oop and I think vol1 of the tpb version is oop too. I got the 3hc-s from ebay around 27-30 quid so it's probably not that hard to find with a little patience.

Nope. HCs of vols. 2 and 3 available at Amazon.com with several copies left, as is the TPB of vol. 1. Only the first HC is OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Nope. HCs of vols. 2 and 3 available at Amazon.com with several copies left, as is the TPB of vol. 1. Only the first HC is OOP.
    cool. I got the set like a year or so ago and I think vol1 was oop that point but maybe they reprinted it.