Page 545 of 865 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549555595645 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it picks up after issue 10 or 11. There is a kind of plot twist in it which kicks up the status quo. although I really enjoyed the first 10 issues as well.
    I think the main draw with Invincible is not that it's revolutionary, it tells a sort of conventional superhero story but without any company restraints. The story moves with a fast pace and Kirman kills off characters when he feels they should be killed off and they don't return.

:|

I'm an idiot I read it as "invisibles" the vertigo Morrison book which I read the first arc many years ago and didn't enjoy. Not tried Invincible but I may do at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post

I'm an idiot I read it as "invisibles" the vertigo Morrison book which I read the first arc many years ago and didn't enjoy. Not tried Invincible but I may do at some point.
    LOL. I bet it was the "coventional superhero story" bit that made you go "Wait a minute...!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    LOL. I bet it was the "coventional superhero story" bit that made you go "Wait a minute...!"
    That and the Kirkman reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    Am I really the only on this thread who thinks that Invincible is nothing special and really bland?

This almost makes me want to pick up the first compendium and read it again, almost.
    I've only read the first compendium and I loved it. I didn't feel desperate to go out and buy the second compendium but I will get it at some point.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Incredible Member

I'm on issue 7 of Invincible. It's pretty good so far, made me chuckle out loud a couple times. I'll definitely continue with the series.

Incredible Member

Few quick comments on some books I recently finished:

Nailbiter - Lots of fun. Probably one of the best horror comics I've read in a while. It has your usual horror tropes, (eg: Look out behind you!) but I guess I just felt like this did it better than most. I've read some pretty bad horror books, but this was fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously, as evidenced by an issue with a cameo from a certain real life crime fiction comic writer who comes to the town to research a serial killer book. This was a blind buy for me, and it was pretty great.

The Hero book 1 + 2 - Again, lots of fun. A sort of Flash Gordon-style retelling of Hercules' story. First book is a coming of age story, second book is a tragedy. I read a lot of reviews where people loved the first book, but loathed the second due to a particularly graphic rape scene. Maybe it's the Metabaron fan in me, but within the context of the story, I had no problem with it. Eh. If you're squimish, don't read. The art is fantastic. Another great blind buy. (I seem to have good luck lately with blind buys. eg: Nailbiter, iZombie, The Hero, etc. All great!)

Crisis on Infinite Earths - The last time I read this book was three years ago, so I decided to revisit it again after seeing the brief nod to Crisis in Batman v Superman. It got me all excited to re-read this book. But I forgot how tedious this book gets. They really could have done the same story in half the page count. I seem to remember it being easier to read the last time, but this time I probably skimmed a couple issues to get to the end. Ugh.

March book 2 - Loved this. I am a bit ashamed that my knowledge on the civil rights movement isn't as deep as it should be. I mean, of course I know the major events and players, but it's been so interesting reading this series and having some of the blanks filled in for me. Such a valuable book and an excellent way to introduce readers to some of the smaller, but equaly as important details of the civil rights movement, albeit from one person's perspecive. I was worried this series might come across like a social studies text book, but it's totally not. It's very much a comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post

Ha, then no, you're not the only one who didn't like it

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    Am I really the only on this thread who thinks that Invincible is nothing special and really bland?

This almost makes me want to pick up the first compendium and read it again, almost.
    Same here. Read untill #80 and I enjoyed it, but it was nothing special. Conquest was great though
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

anyone know if skullkickers vol 1 is oop? was about to pick up all 3 vols but i cant find vol 1 anywhere

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Same here. Read untill #80 and I enjoyed it, but it was nothing special. Conquest was great though
    I feel the same way about Invincible and Walking Dead. Fun books to me, but nothing special at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    anyone know if skullkickers vol 1 is oop? was about to pick up all 3 vols but i cant find vol 1 anywhere
    looks like. I can find one copy in acceptable conditions then the next one is 30 pounds.

Well that's it for this one then I guess. Always meant to pick it up but after Rat queens I doubt it could give me anything new so just kept postponing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    looks like. I can find one copy in acceptable conditions then the next one is 30 pounds.

Well that's it for this one then I guess. Always meant to pick it up but after Rat queens I doubt it could give me anything new so just kept postponing it.
    Had it, sold it, awful book, boring

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Had it, sold it, awful book, boring
    no loss then

Question: Do I need the Nikopol Trilogy?
    Can't decide, got burned with Quest for the time bird and haven't read anything european since then.

First preacher and now the boys, Ennis must be making some coin, expect some slipcase rereleases.

Didn't think I would be much like the comic, but it seems it will be on cinemax, and with the amount of sex and violence they let them get away with on the excellent Banshee, it may be a pretty close adaptation... Apart from the hamster
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 04-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Mighty Member

I enjoyed skullkickers, but you have to like that kind of humor to really get anything out of it. It was available online for free at one point as it was being release, so that may still be an option if you wanted to give it a shot, though it has been a while since I last checked.
    Last edited by awayne83; 04-06-2016 at 07:58 PM.