Page 561 of 865 FirstFirst ... 61461511551557558559560561562563564565571611661 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,415 of 12974

Is the Universal War One HC that contains all the stories the one that is called Universal War Vol 1 on Amazon and was released in October last year? Says it contains six stories.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    That he's in palliative care is - sadly - correct since it was his own wife who sent out the message.

However there are conflicting reports on whether he's passed or not. But as long as nothing's confirmed, I won't speculate.

EDIT:

Shit. CBR reports his family has just put a message out that he's passed away. So sad. He will be sorely missed.
    I really bloody loved his work...damn...seriously, just f&#k cancer.

EDIT:

You get a hell of a lot more mileage out of these collections, btw, also because they can be quite wordy. But in contrast to Lee's 60s writing, the text is always important and one doesn't get the feeling the writer is just padding things out (plus I always thought Lee's characters speak very unrealistically).
    agreed. That said, I'm enjoying the hell out of his Doctor Strange currently. It partially might be because of Ditko but I'm seriously considering picking up the ASM v1 omni (although Dr. Strange has the advantage that I barely know anything about him while Spider.man's history is very well known).
    Tried his FF ages ago but could barely read an issue. Partially might be because of Kirby...

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Is the Universal War One HC that contains all the stories the one that is called Universal War Vol 1 on Amazon and was released in October last year? Says it contains six stories.
    This one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-W...versal+war+one

Yeah, great sci-fi but it's text-heavy.

Think I'm gonna start collecting Hellblazer, wanna read something dark and from Vertigo and just don't want to wait years for hardcovers. I know there are 12 tpb's published already, my question is does any of them contain material by Milligan?

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Think I'm gonna start collecting Hellblazer, wanna read something dark and from Vertigo and just don't want to wait years for hardcovers. I know there are 12 tpb's published already, my question is does any of them contain material by Milligan?
    vol13 just came out and no, it's Delano, Ennis and Jenkins (mostly with Sean Phillips).

Delano is hit or miss for me so I started with Ennis then went back to Delano. Really like the Jenkins stuff too. Only problem with Ennis' run that it starts in the middle of vol5 so if you want to start with him you will have to skip the first half of the book (or read it and don't get half of it like I did).

Have you read Scalped btw?

Spectacular Member

Thanks Balakin and LordJulius for both your responses, Im going to pull the trigger on one or two volumes of Prince Valiant, Terry and the Pirates and Dick Tracy. I Have my eye on X-9 as well, if there are any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

About Darwyn Cooke, that is a damn shame. It's really too bad that he didn't produce as much work as some other artists too as I really love his style, but he did express that he was basically only called upon to do "Golden Age" drawings so that may have held him back. I wonder if IDW will actually finish up that second martini edition they had planned or if it would be better to just grab the remaining hardcovers now while I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    vol13 just came out and no, it's Delano, Ennis and Jenkins (mostly with Sean Phillips).

Delano is hit or miss for me so I started with Ennis then went back to Delano. Really like the Jenkins stuff too. Only problem with Ennis' run that it starts in the middle of vol5 so if you want to start with him you will have to skip the first half of the book (or read it and don't get half of it like I did).

Have you read Scalped btw?
    Yeah but only first HC, great series, best from Aaron, it has shocking value and that gritty atmosphere which I love, imo it's better than Preacher. Will buy them all at some point, just need to rob a bank.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    If it's the one published by Titan, then yes it is an oversized book that collects everything the two Marvel HCs did.

However, be aware that Titan doesn't have the rights to use Marvel's English translation, and the new Titan translation is inferior to Marvel's. This podcast goes decently in-depth about it: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/po...ersal-war-one/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    About Darwyn Cooke, that is a damn shame. It's really too bad that he didn't produce as much work as some other artists too as I really love his style, but he did express that he was basically only called upon to do "Golden Age" drawings so that may have held him back. I wonder if IDW will actually finish up that second martini edition they had planned or if it would be better to just grab the remaining hardcovers now while I can.
    Sadly, I bet Darwyn's death will motivate IDW to push out that Martini edition as well as any other special editions they can come up with. The fact of the matter is there's going to be big interest in Darwyn's work for a short while and companies have a limited window to capitalize on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Thanks Balakin and LordJulius for both your responses, Im going to pull the trigger on one or two volumes of Prince Valiant, Terry and the Pirates and Dick Tracy. I Have my eye on X-9 as well, if there are any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!
    Great choices.

- Prince Valiant: vol. 1 is a bit more fantasy than the later volumes, but as Balakin said, still awesome.
    - Terry and the Pirates: Caniff needed a year or two to develop his style, so the first half of the first volume is somewhat crude. Myself, I got vol. 5 first. The only problem is that TatP has a continuity and starting with the later volumes might leave a few questions open. However, I didn't have a problem with that at all.
    - Dick Tracy: I only have three volumes atm (4, 16 and 17) and every single one is great. Since the stories are not too long and hardly ever interconnected, it's not a problem at all to begin with any volume.
    - X-9: Williamson and Goodwin hit the ground running (after all, the strip had already been around for almost 40 years when they took over), so starting with vol. 1 is fine.

Spectacular Member

Great choices.

- Prince Valiant: vol. 1 is a bit more fantasy than the later volumes, but as Balakin said, still awesome.
    - Terry and the Pirates: Caniff needed a year or two to develop his style, so the first half of the first volume is somewhat crude. Myself, I got vol. 5 first. The only problem is that TatP has a continuity and starting with the later volumes might leave a few questions open. However, I didn't have a problem with that at all.
    - Dick Tracy: I only have three volumes atm (4, 16 and 17) and every single one is great. Since the stories are not too long and hardly ever interconnected, it's not a problem at all to begin with any volume.
    - X-9: Williamson and Goodwin hit the ground running (after all, the strip had already been around for almost 40 years when they took over), so starting with vol. 1 is fine.
    Pretty stoked to try a new Avenue for my comics, I was starting to get a bit tired of superheroes, so I had delved into some European comics, when I have had enough air ill dive back into marvel fresh!

@kodave its too bad that it has to happen this way to showcase a guy like Cooke, really would have been nice for him to be around to see his work on display like that if they do ramp up production. Maybe idw will get off their butts and produce something, they have to be one of the slowest companies as far as putting out collections of their ongoing series.

Got these books this past week:

Fantastic Member

Great haul! But may I ask you to tell something about the Massive? Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    Great haul! But may I ask you to tell something about the Massive? Is it good?
    Story wise I've only read the first arc I think when the single issues were first published. Loved the stuff. Production quality wise, the book has laminated covers and a dust jacket. Furthermore it has sewn binding, excellent paper quality and its size is that of Fear Agent LE's and Colossal Conan. It contains issue #1-15, but no extra's whatsoever.