Page 566 of 865 FirstFirst ... 66466516556562563564565566567568569570576616666 ... LastLast
Results 8,476 to 8,490 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    Currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus. It's an interesting piece of history. The best parts are the outdated dialogue and Superman being a total jerk at times.
    I quite like GA Superman, I'm reading through it for a second time now. You can tell it was written by a kid..lots of energy and simple resolutions.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I'm beginning to realize how hard it is to be a new omnibus collector. It seems like purchase decisions can't just be about what series you want to read, it also has to be about what book you think may go OOP the fastest. Right now, I'm deciding between Spider-Man (Stern), fantastic Four 2 (Byrne), Iron Man (Michilenie), fantastic Four 1-3 (Lee), and Green Lantern 1-3 (Johns).

It's not so fun when your purchase decisions are based on trying to determine what book may go OOP the fastest.
    That's just a reality of the thing. I've been in this since '08, Omni/OHC book collecting, and I was behind then. I wasn't as fully vested in things till about '10 though and in that 2years I came to understand that these things aren't evergreen publications. In '09 I got laid off so I totally had to put books on the sideline and that was a factor.
    Now, married I also have to weigh life factors. Oh, we need a new ceiling fan($75-125), need a dishwasher($300) so everything is a juggling act.
    It's why I will get the Kung Fu Omnis on release date but wait on others. It doesn't get any easier is what I'm saying...there's always something, you just can't let it dampen the actual fun of when you do get a book you've been wanting.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    That's just a reality of the thing. I've been in this since '08, Omni/OHC book collecting, and I was behind then. I wasn't as fully vested in things till about '10 though and in that 2years I came to understand that these things aren't evergreen publications. In '09 I got laid off so I totally had to put books on the sideline and that was a factor.
    Now, married I also have to weigh life factors. Oh, we need a new ceiling fan($75-125), need a dishwasher($300) so everything is a juggling act.
    It's why I will get the Kung Fu Omnis on release date but wait on others. It doesn't get any easier is what I'm saying...there's always something, you just can't let it dampen the actual fun of when you do get a book you've been wanting.
    And don't do what I do, which is stretch your budget to get wayyy wayyy wayyy more books than you could possibly read in a lifetime. I used to buy books at a faster rate than I read them in an effort to get books before they woukd go OOP. I spent more time looking for deals than actually reading them, my hobby turned into a job lol. Read the books enjoy them, if you miss a good story it sucks but it happens, but there will always be some format you can get it in if its actually really good. I used to be such a hc fascist, hardcover or nothing, but half of them I will read once and never touch again so recently I asked myself whats the point? Read to experience the story, most of what goes OOP is reprinted in some format, and just read it like that. Sure if its something awesome spend to get a prestigious format, but otherwise stressing while trying to play catch up can really suck the fun out of the hobby. In my opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    And don't do what I do, which is stretch your budget to get wayyy wayyy wayyy more books than you could possibly read in a lifetime. I used to buy books at a faster rate than I read them in an effort to get books before they woukd go OOP. I spent more time looking for deals than actually reading them, my hobby turned into a job lol. Read the books enjoy them, if you miss a good story it sucks but it happens, but there will always be some format you can get it in if its actually really good. I used to be such a hc fascist, hardcover or nothing, but half of them I will read once and never touch again so recently I asked myself whats the point? Read to experience the story, most of what goes OOP is reprinted in some format, and just read it like that. Sure if its something awesome spend to get a prestigious format, but otherwise stressing while trying to play catch up can really suck the fun out of the hobby. In my opinion of course
    Great post, I share your opinion too! I pretty much did the same thing at one point....now I just get the absolutely must haves or anything that comes up at a great price. The backlog struggle is real haha.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Just snagged a recalled sewn version of Black Science off the shelf at my local B&N. Hate paying full price, but worth it this time!
    I stopped by a LCS and they had a copy of the "fixed" printing, it was sealed so I could not verify, but despite lacking a head band I am pretty certain I saw a signature. Can anyone verify for sure that the second run is indeed not sewn? The pages in the spine looking at the top were most certainly heavily glued, but again in one spot I saw a folded signature.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I stopped by a LCS and they had a copy of the "fixed" printing, it was sealed so I could not verify, but despite lacking a head band I am pretty certain I saw a signature. Can anyone verify for sure that the second run is indeed not sewn? The pages in the spine looking at the top were most certainly heavily glued, but again in one spot I saw a folded signature.
    I just looked at mine again and i saw one spot about 2/3 the way down that looked like a signature:

http://imgur.com/z3M3zi2

I tried to open the book as much as i could but couldnt find any thread anywhere. Signatures can be used in glued bindings, they just need to be trimmed first. Maybe they reused some of the original pages that weren't messed up in the reprints and just did a poor trim job? Idk really, pure speculation at this point, although everything else points to it being glued imo. Maybe if i ever find one of those original copies I'll just tear this one apart and get to the bottom of this travesty

Spectacular Member

Since we're talking about purchasing habits, thought I'd mention Camelcamelcamel for those of you who don't use it: it tracks amazon (and others?) prices.

funny enough, it plays tricks on you, "wow, the price dropped, I'd better get in on that action right now!", which I did no later than Monday. Ok fine, but this morning I received a shipping notice for The Massive LE and The Twilight Children. Guess I'm eating rice for the rest of the month, but I've got 25 books in the backlog so I'm happy. It's a disease is what it is.

On a more positive note, I'm 2/3 of the way through the Gotham Central Omnibus, and this is so so good! I really like the short arcs/investigations with the story developing in the background.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I just looked at mine again and i saw one spot about 2/3 the way down that looked like a signature:

http://imgur.com/z3M3zi2

I tried to open the book as much as i could but couldnt find any thread anywhere. Signatures can be used in glued bindings, they just need to be trimmed first. Maybe they reused some of the original pages that weren't messed up in the reprints and just did a poor trim job? Idk really, pure speculation at this point, although everything else points to it being glued imo. Maybe if i ever find one of those original copies I'll just tear this one apart and get to the bottom of this travesty
    Yeah that's what the one I saw looked like almost exactly. If it wouldn't open far enough for you to see into the gutter to notice threads that sounds glued. Thanks for the info
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member

My full haul from May. Happy to have New Teen Titans omnibus for 130 dollars only!

Bad news: now I don't have time to read anything (

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    My full haul from May. Happy to have New Teen Titans omnibus for 130 dollars only!

Bad news: now I don't have time to read anything (
    I'm surprised you have only just started on invincible, you are in for a treat

Incredible Member

Latest. Opted to upgrade GC.

Incredible Member

For those interested:

Nice purchases there pud. I finished The Massive the other day and loved every single page of it. Can't wait for the next volume.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Nice purchases there pud. I finished The Massive the other day and loved every single page of it. Can't wait for the next volume.
    That's good to know. I know nothing about it, but I enjoy Wood's writing and I've never really been let down by him, so I figured why not?

I'm very tempted to upgrade to the Library edition of The Massive.