Page 581 of 865 FirstFirst ... 81481531571577578579580581582583584585591631681 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 12974

I confirm that, 2000 AD #120 and #127.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think it's called ligne claire and if it's not developed by Herge he was certainly the most well known artist in this style and the one made it really popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    AFAIK, Herge invented what is known as 'ligne claire', which translates as 'clear line'. What it means is obvious if you look at his art and that of his assistants or others influenced by him (E.P. Jacobs who did "Blake and Mortimer", Bob de Moor, Jacques Martin.). This used to be the prevalent style in Tintin, the Franco-Belgian bi-monthly magazine named after Herge's eponymous hero.

However, in the early 1950s a different art style became popular which was mainly found in the magazine "Spirou". It is much more dynamic and cartoonish than ligne claire and its most famous proponent was Andre Franquin (just compare a page from his Gaston or Spirou with one of Herge's and the differences will immediately become clear). This style is known as the "Ecole de Marcinelle" ("Marcinelle school") after the place where Spirou had its offices at the time. Other famous artists of that school are Morris (Lucky Luke), Maurice Tillieux (Jeff Jordan), Jije (who was a major influence on Moebius/Giraud) or Pierre Seron.

I actually read in the introduction to the Jeff Jordan book above that this style was so popular (because of Franquin) that the publisher of Spirou magazine at the time more or less forced all of his artists to adapt their art to Franquin's style; apparently Tillieux used to be more of a Herge follower first.
    Thanks dudes ligne claire, cool name and wow... what you know is alot Lord Julius, you are like a living encyclopaedia of world comics. Lucky Luke... another childehood favorite... i thought Tintin and Lucky Luke (Lucky Luke is known as Red Kit around here btw... i don't know why but we call him Red Kit.) were in the same style but they actually weren't huh... i haven't touched a Tintin and Lucky Luke comics for years but i will compare the two as soon as i go to a book store. Ecole de Marcinelle... another cool name

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Thanks dudes ligne claire, cool name and wow... what you know is alot Lord Julius, you are like a living encyclopaedia of world comics. Lucky Luke... another childehood favorite... i thought Tintin and Lucky Luke (Lucky Luke is known as Red Kit around here btw... i don't know why but we call him Red Kit.) were in the same style but they actually weren't huh... i haven't touched a Tintin and Lucky Luke comics for years but i will compare the two as soon as i go to a book store. Ecole de Marcinelle... another cool name
    I would highly recommend Blake and Mortimer. Haven't read a lot of them yet but it's more serious than Tintin (I like Tintin as well) and drawn in the ligne claire style. Great old school adventure series.

BANNED

I would highly recommend Blake and Mortimer. Haven't read a lot of them yet but it's more serious than Tintin (I like Tintin as well) and drawn in the ligne claire style. Great old school adventure series.
    Thanks for the advice dude. It seems they don't have HC editions in english :/ i hope they will be published in HCs until i get to them.

Thanks for the advice dude. It seems they don't have HC editions in english :/ i hope they will be published in HCs until i get to them.
    don't think so, I don't think it's that popular and Cinebook probably doing just fine with the paperbacks. But the paperbacks are oversized at least.

BANNED

don't think so, I don't think it's that popular and Cinebook probably doing just fine with the paperbacks. But the paperbacks are oversized at least.
    Oversized is a plus ofcourse but no HC makes me a sad panda... lol (that was from south park, if you remember that episode lol) thanks again for the advice

There are no HCs in German either (apart from 50€ limited editions of the latest releases) and I actually do not think there are French HC editions either, so paperback albums is what you'll get basically anywhere. I actually have some German as well as English editions because the latter are usually cheaper here than the former. Go figure.

And yeah, as Balakin said: awesome adventure books; imagine Tintin for grown-ups (doesn't mean nudity or violence though).

LOL, thanks, but my knowledge is actually much more limited than it seems. What I know is basically due to the Integral editions which have a lot of additional editorial content and since Spirou and Tintin were THE two magazines where all of these titles were published, some of the editorial texts include the same stories/information. I also found out about a lot of these titles myself from a poster in the MMW forums.

And yeah, as Balakin said: awesome adventure books; imagine Tintin for grown-ups (doesn't mean nudity or violence though).
    did they ever do any romantic plots with one of the main characters? I've only read 2 so far (was just thinking about getting more the other day) but it seemed like the stories mainly focus on their adventures and jobs but not really any private life.

did they ever do any romantic plots with one of the main characters? I've only read 2 so far (was just thinking about getting more the other day) but it seemed like the stories mainly focus on their adventures and jobs but not really any private life.
    I have about 20 albums so far and no romance apart from one story that explores the two characters' past. 99% are good old-fashioned adventure stories.

I have about 20 albums so far and no romance apart from one story that explores the two characters' past. 99% are good old-fashioned adventure stories.
    usually adventure stories involve some kind of romance though. which one explores their past? Might get that next.

usually adventure stories involve some kind of romance though. which one explores their past? Might get that next.
    Will get back to you on that. Busy day and I'm knackered as hell.

And btw, all B&M albums are great, even the ones Jacobs didn't do himself, so it doesn't really matter which one you get next (well apart from the ones that are sequels to older ones perhaps).

Blake and Mortimer volumes have always been published in HC form in France (which is the standard for "classic" bandes dessinées).

Will get back to you on that. Busy day and I'm knackered as hell.

And btw, all B&M albums are great, even the ones Jacobs didn't do himself, so it doesn't really matter which one you get next (well apart from the ones that are sequels to older ones perhaps).
    I know I'm just interested in their backstory

OK, I have something special to show you. Already limited to 250 copies, my Judge Dredd book has been signed by Bolland and McMahon, it might be the only copy like that.

And some other stuff.