Page 596 of 865 FirstFirst ... 96496546586592593594595596597598599600606646696 ... LastLast
Results 8,926 to 8,940 of 12974
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    My haul for the last few weeks. Picked up the Tardi one while on vacation in France, not much different from the Fantagraphics edition but I really liked the design. The Crepax book is amazing, can't wait for the rest of the series.
    Oh, I LOVE the Sandcastle. Such an incredible book.

My haul for the last few weeks. Picked up the Tardi one while on vacation in France, not much different from the Fantagraphics edition but I really liked the design. The Crepax book is amazing, can't wait for the rest of the series.

I am glad to see that Philemon was translated in other languages. They are very hard to find in France in their original form. I really loved Philemon as a kid, and still do as an adult.

I picked up the Emeraldas book too. Stoked.
    Last edited by ER Prest; 08-26-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Uber on Kickstarter. Would like to buy edition for 89 bucks but shipping outside US just scares me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eid=97133e9a81

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Uber on Kickstarter. Would like to buy edition for 89 bucks but shipping outside US just scares me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eid=97133e9a81
    Why on earth would Kieron Gillen need to Kickstart this? He's Kieron Gillen and it's with Avatar, can their marketing department really not figure out how to sell enough copies to satisfy the lowly standards of Avatar? If not, how is that publisher even staying alive in this business?

This just . . . feels wrong to me. It . . . isn't supposed to work like this. Asking people to subsidize the creation of IP with no ownership stake for the benefit in perpetuity of a for-profit entity. I mean, am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    Oh, I LOVE the Sandcastle. Such an incredible book.
    Yeah, it's a great book. I already had the English SelfMadeHero version but this new Dutch one is much larger so I had to pick it up

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    I am glad to see that Philemon was translated in other languages. They are very hard to find in France in their original form. I really loved Philemon as a kid, and still do as an adult.
    It's definitely a fun series although I have to admit that I didn't really get it when i was a kid. I had no idea that it was hard to find in French, a small Dutch publisher is slowly making it's way trough the series. Twelve volumes have been published already so only five to go before the entire series is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I picked up the Emeraldas book too. Stoked.
    It's crazy that it took so long before Matsumoto's work got translated. Hopefully this is the first of an entire wave of translations

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Why on earth would Kieron Gillen need to Kickstart this? He's Kieron Gillen and it's with Avatar, can their marketing department really not figure out how to sell enough copies to satisfy the lowly standards of Avatar? If not, how is that publisher even staying alive in this business?

This just . . . feels wrong to me. It . . . isn't supposed to work like this. Asking people to subsidize the creation of IP with no ownership stake for the benefit in perpetuity of a for-profit entity. I mean, am I wrong?
    Your absolutely right as far as I'm concerned an exisiting IP that's already run for ~30 issues from a publisher as big as Avatar should not be using Kickstarter to launch a new series.

A quick check on Ubers circulation figures put it in the region of 5,000 copies a month thats more than something like Morning Glories or Sixth Gun, maybe if they were looking at pushing out a giant omnibus/absolute version of the exisiting Uber material and wern't sure of the market viability of it I could understand but theirs an exisiting and healthy market for a monthly Uber comic and all this is doing is trying to cut out the middle men (Diamond, LCS's, comixology, etc) from Avatars profits.

It's crazy that it took so long before Matsumoto's work got translated. Hopefully this is the first of an entire wave of translations
    Yeah me too. And we've finally started to get JoJo books in English, as well as a bunch of Gundam titles. It's a good time to be alive

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post

Gillen has written about this on tumblr: http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/...-are-running-a

It's definitely a fun series although I have to admit that I didn't really get it when i was a kid. I had no idea that it was hard to find in French, a small Dutch publisher is slowly making it's way trough the series. Twelve volumes have been published already so only five to go before the entire series is completed.
    They have been reprinted once with a new oversized design (spelling Atlantic Ocean on the spines), and more recently collected in small hardcover including several volumes per book. As I prefer the original design I have indeed difficulties to find the original editions (very scarcely reprinted before the new editions) at a reasonable price. And I don't see many of the oversized edition in Bandes Dessinées shops.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rynprc View Post
    Gillen has written about this on tumblr: http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/...-are-running-a
    I'm glad he addressed it (and thank you for sharing the link), but I don't agree with his position. Or rather, if that's the way he sees this, then the entire tone of his Kickstarter video and the descriptive text should be different. Less "support us so we can make this!" and more "hey we're making this, come get some cool deals on it!" I mean, less "please help" and more "this is so cool, see?" If you know what I mean.

*shrugs.
    KS dont give you a set of rules or hoops to jump through to prove that youre project is "worthy". Any feelings that a project does or does not belong on KS is purely of the opinion of the consumer based on their own views of what KS should be.

Imo, the only unworthy projects are those that fail to reach their funding.
    The market decides.

Fantastic Member

Came across this one in the used bin at my LCS. It was tagged at $60 but I offered $50 (Canadian that is) and they bit. It's in superb condition...I'm pretty sure it's brand new actually.