Page 639 of 865 FirstFirst ... 139539589629635636637638639640641642643649689739 ... LastLast
Results 9,571 to 9,585 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    And let's be honest, there's more story in The Incal than at least any 5+ Marvel or DC books combined anyway. The real collectors danger is the six massive books combined with knowing they are one completely resolved story.
    Oh man all the talk about The Incal has now got me intrigued. What is the reading order? There are six books?

I looked at CGN and the deluxe collections look expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Oh man all the talk about The Incal has now got me intrigued. What is the reading order? There are six books?

The normal hardcovers are nice enough I wouldn't start with investing into the deluxes. You can start with the Incal that was the first Yodorovsky wrote or jump to the Metabarons if that seems more your cup of tea. Same universe but can be read on it's own and also quite a different story to the Incal both tone and art.

If you just buy the normal hardcover it's one collection of six long issues. That's all you need for the actual Incal story. I haven't read any of the other related stuff yet but it's obvious that The Incal is a singular, complete story and the other stuff is related to the world it takes place in. I think the Final Incal is a continuation but it isn't required because The Incal ends with wrapping everything up and finishing the points it raises.

I've got the Final Incal coming but the other three related books are Christmas presents. It's only a week but I don't feel like reading anything else. I'm already open to the spiritual stuff because I have a general fascination and believe certain aspects of it to differing degrees but it's definitely had the desired effect on me. The result is I don't feel like reading about super heroes punching each other at the moment.

I wish some of the other stuff Humanoids published beyond Jodorowsky was a bit better in page count terms. It seems like a lot of it is in the sub 100 page region which is a shame. Any recommendations for European stuff? I'm well covered on Japanese and American but only have one or two Fantagraphics books and that's my exposure so far until The Incal. More interested in great quality rather than particular genres.

After reading all of them, my opinion for reading them is:

Incal
    Before the Incal
    After/Final Incal

Optional:
    Metabarons
    Technopriests

Before the Incal is weird. It was good, but kinda retread Incal itself. Before/Final is interesting. It was originally by Moebius, but he never finished it. They chose Ladronn and Jodo completely rewrote it. The book should contain Ladronn's complete version, and then Moebius' unfinished pages.

Metabarons was awesome. Probably my favorite book out of this universe.

Technopriests was eh

I think it ended up being pretty cool that Moebius only ended up drawing the main story. Gives it that extra bit of uniqueness from the other stuff that expands the world.

I know I'm about a decade late, but I picked up the color one volume Bone hardcover a few weeks ago and have been reading it the past few days.

I freakin love it. Everyone one was right about it and it totally deserves all the praise it gets. Can't wait to finish it.

Now, how are the other spin offs? Any of them worth picking up?

If you just buy the normal hardcover it's one collection of six long issues. That's all you need for the actual Incal story. I haven't read any of the other related stuff yet but it's obvious that The Incal is a singular, complete story and the other stuff is related to the world it takes place in. I think the Final Incal is a continuation but it isn't required because The Incal ends with wrapping everything up and finishing the points it raises.

I've got the Final Incal coming but the other three related books are Christmas presents. It's only a week but I don't feel like reading anything else. I'm already open to the spiritual stuff because I have a general fascination and believe certain aspects of it to differing degrees but it's definitely had the desired effect on me. The result is I don't feel like reading about super heroes punching each other at the moment.

I wish some of the other stuff Humanoids published beyond Jodorowsky was a bit better in page count terms. It seems like a lot of it is in the sub 100 page region which is a shame. Any recommendations for European stuff? I'm well covered on Japanese and American but only have one or two Fantagraphics books and that's my exposure so far until The Incal. More interested in great quality rather than particular genres.
    You'll probably want to get Bouncer and White Lama I guess then?MY favourite European stuff I have are:
    - Peter Pan by Loisel which is basically a dark origin story for PP (no, not like Batman begins) and I absolutely loved it even though I couldn't care less about the original story.
    -Beauty by Kerascoet: for me it was the textbook definition of an adult fairy tale. Art is quite cartoony but IMHO brilliant and I just loved the story which operates with classic fairy tale elements but tells it in a very clever and absolutely not childish way.
    -District 14 v1 and 2 + Fantastic Voyage of Lady Rosenbilt.: fun and pulpy world with lots of anthropomorphic characters, weird aliens and some surprisingly dark plot turns.
    -Millenium: medieval adventure story with great art and lots of vampires, aliens and whatnot. Combines the catholic church with vampirism but not in an obnoxious show offy way and at it's core it's still an classic adventure story.

It seems inevitable that I'm going to buy all the Jodorowsky stuff once I finish the Incal spin offs. Cheers for the recommendations. I think I'm going to check out Peter Pan. I'm pretty sure I've seen some pics from you around and it looks like a nice book anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    You'll probably want to get Bouncer and White Lama I guess then?MY favourite European stuff I have are:
    - Peter Pan by Loisel which is basically a dark origin story for PP (no, not like Batman begins) and I absolutely loved it even though I couldn't care less about the original story.
    -Beauty by Kerascoet: for me it was the textbook definition of an adult fairy tale. Art is quite cartoony but IMHO brilliant and I just loved the story which operates with classic fairy tale elements but tells it in a very clever and absolutely not childish way.
    -District 14 v1 and 2 + Fantastic Voyage of Lady Rosenbilt.: fun and pulpy world with lots of anthropomorphic characters, weird aliens and some surprisingly dark plot turns.
    -Millenium: medieval adventure story with great art and lots of vampires, aliens and whatnot. Combines the catholic church with vampirism but not in an obnoxious show offy way and at it's core it's still an classic adventure story.
    No Blacksad?

It seems inevitable that I'm going to buy all the Jodorowsky stuff once I finish the Incal spin offs. Cheers for the recommendations. I think I'm going to check out Peter Pan. I'm pretty sure I've seen some pics from you around and it looks like a nice book anyway.
    I think there is some photobait in this thread in the first few pages but not from me. But yeah the art in it is phenomenal and it's a really nice oversized hardcover.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    No Blacksad?
    oh, duh. Blacksad is so obvious I just forgot it but Dayle88 if you haven't read it then GET THEM NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    oh, duh. Blacksad is so obvious I just forgot it but Dayle88 if you haven't read it then GET THEM NOW!
    You should buy The Killer too.

You should check 'The quest for the time bird' from loisel too.

You should buy The Killer too.
    I would if vol1 of the omnibus would be in print. Sometimes I take a look at the individual hc's prices but some of them are always going for more than I'm willing to pay.

You should check 'The quest for the time bird' from loisel too.
    This one was a huge disappointment for me. Dunno why, it just didn't work at all and I was quite looking forward to it after loving Peter Pan.