Page 657 of 865 FirstFirst ... 157557607647653654655656657658659660661667707757 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,855 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I can understand not liking it, nothing exists that every single person will like but I never thought I'd see someone say it's boring. It's non stop movement and creativity. Sure you're not reading Before The Incal? That I could see someone think was boring. It's the weakest Jodo book I've read.
    Nope, reading the original. You know what it almost reminds me of but not as good (I know - blasphemy) is Matt Wagner's Grendel when he introduced Eppy (toward the end of his Comico run). It's got that feel to it. Not sure which came first but regardless, I don't know...just not into it.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    You don't know what are you talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    The Incal . . .I know it's highly praised on this thread but . . . I just cannot get into it.

The art is great but the story is just boring. I mean flat out boring. I'm a third of the way through and I'm moving on.

Maybe those who really like it can tell me why. ... Not trying to be sarcastic....Maybe I'm missing something and it can be explained...Obviously we're not all going to like the same things...I was just surprised about this one because it's got a massive approval rating in these parts.
    Have you read the intro by Bendis? (I think the most recent edition has that as well). That explains a lot about the love the series get. I think it's good but the characters didn't really intrigued me it's more about a mad genius just making up a whole universe as the story goes along. Fascinating but I can see why some don't enjoy it.
    I would still highly recommend the Metabarons. Check it out digitally maybe instead before buying it. Very different feel, completely different art style, I enjoyed it much more than the Incal. It's an insane cosmic rollercoaster ride with batshit crazy ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Have you read the intro by Bendis? (I think the most recent edition has that as well). That explains a lot about the love the series get. I think it's good but the characters didn't really intrigued me it's more about a mad genius just making up a whole universe as the story goes along. Fascinating but I can see why some don't enjoy it.
    I would still highly recommend the Metabarons. Check it out digitally maybe instead before buying it. Very different feel, completely different art style, I enjoyed it much more than the Incal. It's an insane cosmic rollercoaster ride with batshit crazy ideas.
    I did read what he said which made it more intriguing although Bendis is known as a pretty major bullshitter and exaggerator when it comes to compliments. Of course, I only read a third of it, so there's that.

Also, I think you kind of hit on something - there's just no depth to these characters.

It is what it is, I guess. I might take your suggestion on the Metabarons, tho.

Watch the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, there's no bullshitting in that introduction.

I loved The Incal for the book itself not what it inspired etc. I also loved The Metabarons. Completely different and I can't say for sure which is the better book but Metabarons is more to my interests of warrior culture and the honour and spirituality that goes with people pushing themselves to their limits. It's also incredibly creative within that framework whereas The Incal finds a purpose in whatever crazy concept they came up with.

I think each character in The Incal has just enough depth to keep them unique but they are also supposed to represent archetypes and how they fit their role in the universe.

I wouldn't try and force it if you don't like it though, that's just going to make it worse, surely? I still can't accept that it's boring though

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I think each character in The Incal has just enough depth to keep them unique but they are also supposed to represent archetypes and how they fit their role in the universe.
    they also represent Tarot cards aren't they? I don't know much about tarot so that didn't really add anything to it for me but might be an interesting angle for some

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    they also represent Tarot cards aren't they? I don't know much about tarot so that didn't really add anything to it for me but might be an interesting angle for some
    Apparently but I don't know anything about Tarot either. I've seen some youtube videos of Jodorowsky talking about it but that was more questioning what it is used for (people predicting future are frauds etc.) but it didn't explain anything beyond the obvious.

Speaking of Jodorowsky I think my favourite book by him I've read is Bouncer. It was just an excellent set of stories surrounding a great character and it all intertwined beautifully. It's at least equal to Metabarons but I feel like I enjoyed Bouncer more. Going to have to read them both again back to back soon to decide.

All-New Member

Is ALL of Sea of Red series in the book?

All-New Member

Is all of three volumes of Sea of Red Collected?

Hey everyone, I guess this is the best place to ask... as a fan of Deadpool and Cannonball, is the marvel X-Force Omnibus worth getting? Looking to upgrade to all hardcovers and omnibuses.

Incredible Member

Some quick reviews of recent books I've finished in no particular order:

Spider-verse - I've really been enjoying getting back into Spider-man. I pretty much stopped reading Spider-man after McFarlane stopped drawing him before he moved to Image, so there's legitmately a couple decades worth of stories I've missed. Decided to plunge back in with Amazing Spider-man and I really enjoyed Spider-verse. I thought the art was great, the writing was fun, and Spidey's world had depth. Thoroughly enjoyed it cover to cover. Can't wait to get my copies of Superior Spider-man so I can go back and read that arc.

Mind Mgmt - Finally finished the last book in the series. I thought the series started out great, started to sag, but I enjoyed the ending.

Crisis on Infinite Earths - The last time I read this was a few years ago so it was nice to go back to it. Overall, my opinion of the series hasn't changed: I like it, some parts are brilliant, but it's way too long. I feel it could have been accomplished in half the length. Way too drawn out. If the narrative was tighter, I feel it would be amazing.

NYX: Wannabe - Picked this up for a few dollars at a closing out sale. I liked the art (well, the first half anyway), but overall it left me flat.

Chew - Finally got around to catching up on this series. Almost caught up, on book 5 now, but it's a lot of fun. Really brisk read, which I like right now. The perfect book to read when I want a break from some of the more denser writers, like Morrison or Moore.

Daredevil - Started reading Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. Not a fan of the art, but I've always been able to get past art if the writing was good, which it is. It just makes me yearn for Waid to write Superman again, though. Maybe one day.

Young Avengers - I just don't get Gillen and McKelvie. This is the second book I've read from them (first was Wicked and Divine), and both books have plenty of style, but it just feels so empty. I enjoy the books enough as I'm reading them, but by the end of it, I don't think I can bring myself to give a shit about the books. It doesn't feel like there's anything to the writing. I'll probably give the Wicked and Divine another shot. I must be missing something.

Alex + Ada - Started reading it, enjoyed it just fine, but halfway through I stopped. That was weeks ago. I gotta get back to it, give it another chance. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe this got overhyped for me. This was my first Luna book.
    Last edited by pud333; 02-09-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post

Mind Mgmt - Finally finished the last book in the series. I thought the series started out great, started to sag, but I enjoyed the ending.

Daredevil - Started reading Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. Not a fan of the art, but I've always been able to get past art if the writing was good, which it is. It just makes me yearn for Waid to write Superman again, though. Maybe one day.

Alex + Ada - Started reading it, enjoyed it just fine, but halfway through I stopped. That was weeks ago. I gotta get back to it, give it another chance. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe this got overhyped for me. This was my first Luna book.
    I've heard great things of Mind Mgmt, and intend to check it out. Kindt is blowing up right now. I hope Dark Horse solicits a omnibus type collection of this soon.

I need to finish Waid's DD...might as well just reread what I have read, it's been years.

And I really liked A + A. It could have been 2-3 issues shorter, but I really liked the concepts and ideas they were playing with.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    And I really liked A + A. It could have been 2-3 issues shorter, but I really liked the concepts and ideas they were playing with.
    Yeah I like the concepts but I sort of got distracted. I'm going to reread it and finish it this time.

Latest haul.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Yeah I like the concepts but I sort of got distracted. I'm going to reread it and finish it this time.

Latest haul.

Can I see the spine to Civil War II? Curiosity has me wondering what it looks like versus Civil War OHC by Millar.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Can I see the spine to Civil War II? Curiosity has me wondering what it looks like versus Civil War OHC by Millar.

I'm tempted to buy the Civil War II hardcover as it marks the point that I stopped reading Marvel.

Is The Contract With God trilogy always available? I want to own a book by Eisner and it seems to be unanimously praised but there's some other stuff I want to get for the next month or two. If it's at risk of disappearing I'll get it first though. Unless people have other Eisner suggestions as a starting point?