Page 76 of 865 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176576 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 12974
    Incredible Member

Can some of you guys post up interior pictures of the Colossal Conan book? I've seen a couple pages of art but I would like some more references. Thought it looked nice from what I saw before. When did the run originally come out?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I say replacement but it's a decision you have to make
    I ended up chatting with customer service and getting a 50% discount on the already discounted price. $40 for witzend with a dinged corner seems more than fair to me and im going to put the saved money towards more great books.

I also started reading Colossal Conan yesterday, I've had it since release but I just hadn't got round to reading it for one reason or another. This is a book I really wanted oversized and waited years for it to be released. I had read the trades previously but reading it at this size is such a treat.

Going through it again reminded me why I had wanted it so badly, the writing by Busiek is perfect, so much heart and character. Conan leaps off the page, realised and alive. Busiek writes in a modern style but it has that feeling of a Silver Age comic, so much detail but without the unnecessary exposition which some SA comics have.

Then there is Cary Nords art which is so like a Frazetta painting it is uncanny, I cant believe this guy doesn't do more comics but he is perfect for Conan. Its so good to see his young Conan, then as he gets older he is drawn differently and more mature. What I love in a great series and is so rare to find now is that he is the consistent artist throughout(450 odd pages in) and I believe he is on for 40 odd issues. And when he isn't doing the art there is a different storyline for the incoming artists to illustrate that is clearly separate from the tale being told but still part of the overall narrative. So far fill in artists are Bruce Timm, John Severin and Tom Mandrake! Not bad.

The colouring is pretty perfect as well, Dave Stewart is really good at this stuff. There is an introductory piece by Kurt Busiek where he details how the early try out art pieces by Nord where coloured by Stewart with no inking, and the result was so good they continued it in the book. It looks brilliant and different. The intro also talks about the lettering style, with the typewriter-esque use perfectly invoking Robert E. Howard at his typewriter banging out Conan stories.

This is really the perfect book. The build and paper are top drawer, though so is the price, and reading it you can tell it was put together with care and attention to detail. My new favourite book, sorry Absolute Planetary.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Can some of you guys post up interior pictures of the Colossal Conan book? I've seen a couple pages of art but I would like some more references. Thought it looked nice from what I saw before. When did the run originally come out?
    I took some quick pics with my phone from the first 500 pages, the run was early 2000s iirc

Incredible Member

Finished DMZ Deluxe vol 2 today and it was awesome, just like the first volume. I know people say it fell off for a bit, but so far it's been great. I also finished The Cape deluxe edition today. 1969 wasn't very good. In fact, it was kind of terrible. But I quite enjoyed the original Cape story. I found myself laughing through most of it. Hmm... maybe that makes me a bit sick, haha. Anyway, it was good. I liked the turn the protagonist takes.

Edit: Colossal Conan looks good, but I'm so not into books that size. It's tough enough reading Fear Agent library edition. I find these things get too big and unwieldy for me. I guess I need bigger hands.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Finished DMZ Deluxe vol 2 today and it was awesome, just like the first volume. I know people say it fell off for a bit, but so far it's been great.
    I guess 'the fell off' part starts later in the story, i feel the series should be 50 issues top, there really are some unnecessary drags.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Edit: Colossal Conan looks good, but I'm so not into books that size. It's tough enough reading Fear Agent library edition. I find these things get too big and unwieldy for me. I guess I need bigger hands.
    You need a colossal hands but ya, i get what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    I also started reading Colossal Conan yesterday, I've had it since release but I just hadn't got round to reading it for one reason or another. This is a book I really wanted oversized and waited years for it to be released. I had read the trades previously but reading it at this size is such a treat.

Going through it again reminded me why I had wanted it so badly, the writing by Busiek is perfect, so much heart and character. Conan leaps off the page, realised and alive. Busiek writes in a modern style but it has that feeling of a Silver Age comic, so much detail but without the unnecessary exposition which some SA comics have.

Then there is Cary Nords art which is so like a Frazetta painting it is uncanny, I cant believe this guy doesn't do more comics but he is perfect for Conan. Its so good to see his young Conan, then as he gets older he is drawn differently and more mature. What I love in a great series and is so rare to find now is that he is the consistent artist throughout(450 odd pages in) and I believe he is on for 40 odd issues. And when he isn't doing the art there is a different storyline for the incoming artists to illustrate that is clearly separate from the tale being told but still part of the overall narrative. So far fill in artists are Bruce Timm, John Severin and Tom Mandrake! Not bad.
    Nord is spectacular here, absolutely agree. But imo Giorello is doing an even better job with King Conan atm. He combines the best of Frazetta and Alcala in his art. This definitely needs an oversized version as well.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 06-24-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    Nice haul
    Start with "The Incal", your Star Wars analogy is pretty apt
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    I posted a bunch more pics in NZ's Colossal Conan thread just now...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Nord is spectacular here, absolutely agree. But imo Giorello is doing an even better job with King Conan atm. He combines the best of Frazetta and Alcala in his art. This definitely needs an oversized version as well.
    I love Giorello too, but I find at times his anatomy is a bit off. I prefer Nord, but only by a very slim margin...

Anyone here familiar with Oni Press' release schedule on their deluxe hardcovers? I want to pick up the Sixth Gun deluxe edition and wondering how often they release future volumes or if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post

The colouring is pretty perfect as well, Dave Stewart is really good at this stuff. There is an introductory piece by Kurt Busiek where he details how the early try out art pieces by Nord where coloured by Stewart with no inking, and the result was so good they continued it in the book. It looks brilliant and different. The intro also talks about the lettering style, with the typewriter-esque use perfectly invoking Robert E. Howard at his typewriter banging out Conan stories.

This is really the perfect book. The build and paper are top drawer, though so is the price, and reading it you can tell it was put together with care and attention to detail. My new favourite book, sorry Absolute Planetary.

I agree with absolutely everything you said! I also bought this at release and started on it Sunday. I'm up to page 500 or so and hope to read at least another 200 tonight. I can't put this book down!

I also loved the intro, especially the part about the typewriter. Man, just that alone shows how much thought Busiek put into this thing! But, I'd love to hear more about his discussion that he had about the old Marvel stuff and what worked and what didn't in his opinion.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Anyone here familiar with Oni Press' release schedule on their deluxe hardcovers? I want to pick up the Sixth Gun deluxe edition and wondering how often they release future volumes or if at all.
    I asked them on Twitter and they are releasing a Sixth gun hc vol 2
    Screenshot_2014-05-08-17-40-10.jpg
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I love Giorello too, but I find at times his anatomy is a bit off. I prefer Nord, but only by a very slim margin...
    I can see where you're coming from but he's improved vastly since drawing the issues that are reprinted in Colossal Conan (a problem I have with Nord on the other hand are the faces he draws at times).

Oh, and I didn't mean Alfredo Alcala but Armando Gil in my original post.

In any case, DH has been putting out some stunning Conan books over the last decade that should have no problems standing the test of time and being up there with the BWS and Buscema work (storywise they've surpassed them, although one has to acknowledge that they stem from different times).

For folk who've ordered (and received) books from SpeedyHen, can you please tell me what their packaging is like? Is it comparable to IST?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ripclaw View Post
    For folk who've ordered (and received) books from SpeedyHen, can you please tell me what their packaging is like? Is it comparable to IST?

Thanks in advance.
    never ordered from IST (international shipping prices are a bit high) but Speedyhen always packaged my omnibuses securely but the regular standard sized hardcovers arrived in ordinary cardboard envelopes (2 from 3 slightly dinged, nothing to complain about or claim a refound, just annoying).