Page 763 of 865 FirstFirst ... 263663713753759760761762763764765766767773813863 ... LastLast
Results 11,431 to 11,445 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    All were blind buys except for the BPRD.
    I've been curious about AD for awhile and it's got two decent comic creators on it which isn't always a guarantee (Millar's Swamp Thing run was much better once Morrison left), but I got a good deal on it. I'd actually never heard of We Stand on Guard but it's BKV, and he's usually pretty great. And God Country - Donny Cates is turning out some hits and this has received nothing but praise, so I figured to give it a go.

Attachment 60595
    We Stand On Guard was a quick, fun read. Skroce's art is phenomenal.

AD was...interesting. It's ambitious for sure, the comic portions are great, and the watercolor art for the prose sections are pretty cool, but Snyder's prose writing is very flowery in my opinion. Very first year Creative Writing student, "look I know all these words" kind of feeling. Which makes sense since he's earned his degree in Creative Writing from Brown(and still teaches at Brown I believe).

You'll have to let me know how God Country is, keep hearing good things about Cates.
    Last edited by ER Prest; 01-11-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    All were blind buys except for the BPRD.
    I've been curious about AD for awhile and it's got two decent comic creators on it which isn't always a guarantee (Millar's Swamp Thing run was much better once Morrison left), but I got a good deal on it. I'd actually never heard of We Stand on Guard but it's BKV, and he's usually pretty great. And God Country - Donny Cates is turning out some hits and this has received nothing but praise, so I figured to give it a go.

Attachment 60595
    I was kinda disappointed in We stand on guard, felt like it didn't really explore the possibilities the setting had and it was kind of disposable but it could have been much more. Or maybe I've felt let down because it was advertised as a story heavily featuring mech fights (which I'm a sucker for) but barely having any of it actually in it.

God Country was a great mini series, but I absolutely loved After Death! I have it in its original issues, but I would like the HC eventually.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I have just read God Country and it's awesome. You can't go wrong with this book.

A.D. After Death was only ok, even if I count Snyder and Lemire as my favourite authors. Better read Royal City or Roughneck by Lemire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    From over on the Dark Horse thread:
    Well I hope volume 3 goes back in print soon as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    You'll have to let me know how God Country is, keep hearing good things about Cates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I have just read God Country and it's awesome. You can't go wrong with this book.

Better read Royal City or Roughneck by Lemire.
    I have one issue left of God Country and it's really cool. I've liked most of what I've read by Cates. I still think he's a little raw but he's early in his career. I really liked his take on vampires in Redneck. I read that first tpb awhile ago and will pick up the next one whenever it comes out.

I'm actually reading Royal City in floppies - another really cool book.

Last haul from 2017. Punisher might be best deal in my life, grabbed whole set for 65$ few month before omnibus was announced. And since i'm not a fan of over 1000 pages omni, dont regret anything)
    fnX-i3nOWyU.jpg
    99sPqb4s9bE.jpg
    MMmzDYMFn-k.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bearded_adam View Post
    Last haul from 2017. Punisher might be best deal in my life, grabbed whole set for 65$ few month before omnibus was announced. And since i'm not a fan of over 1000 pages omni, dont regret anything)
    niiiiiceeeee! And that's a really good deal on the Punisher ohcs. Man those Hero hcs look really pretty I was planning to pick them for ages but haven't even got around reading Beowulf since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    niiiiiceeeee! And that's a really good deal on the Punisher ohcs. Man those Hero hcs look really pretty I was planning to pick them for ages but haven't even got around reading Beowulf since I bought it.
    Thanks. Bought Beowulf and Hero because of Rubin art, hope one day see Either in Deluxe format.

fnX-i3nOWyU.jpg
    99sPqb4s9bE.jpg
    MMmzDYMFn-k.jpg
    Same here, screw all those huge omnis, I would rather have few OHC's.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Same here, screw all those huge omnis, I would rather have few OHC's.
    Amen.
    Also, Ennis run on Punisher for now is
    5 Max OHC(+ Born and From first to last)
    3 MK OHC(+ Ressurection of Ma Gnucci)
    Am I missing something?

Amen.
    Also, Ennis run on Punisher for now is
    5 Max OHC(+ Born and From first to last)
    3 MK OHC(+ Ressurection of Ma Gnucci)
    Am I missing something?
    His Marvel Knights run was never completed in OHC, only the omnibus collects those issues

His Marvel Knights run was never completed in OHC, only the omnibus collects those issues
    Thanks, checked on mycomicshop and seems they left last ten issues uncollected. Shame.

We Stand On Guard was a quick, fun read. Skroce's art is phenomenal.

AD was...interesting. It's ambitious for sure, the comic portions are great, and the watercolor art for the prose sections are pretty cool, but Snyder's prose writing is very flowery in my opinion. Very first year Creative Writing student, "look I know all these words" kind of feeling. Which makes sense since he's earned his degree in Creative Writing from Brown(and still teaches at Brown I believe).

I really liked We Stand on Guard and AD, but it was a little flowery. I think there were parts of the prose that could have been edited better, but overall it worked. I liked the little side story about his friend who was an astronaut. I'm not sure I'd be inclined to read more stories in this style but it was a good change.

I nearly bought Stand on Guard on Ebay, but decided I wasn't interested enough. Worth changing my mind?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”