Page 769 of 865 FirstFirst ... 269669719759765766767768769770771772773779819 ... LastLast
Results 11,521 to 11,535 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Would you recommend The Strain by Del Toro? He will be signing this weekend at FP and would like to attend.
    I read only first two books about five years ago. Good, pretty unusual take on vampire theme, althrough i have no idea how it ended, third book was canceled in Russia.
    BTW dont forget to sign Guillermo del Toro Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections, and Other Obsessions )

Spectacular Member

Hey, I've been out of collections for a while and missed a few, but noticed some are being reprinted. Is that happening more often? So I could wait for bigger ongoing series to come again while I catch up with other titles or should I be chasing these?

Specifically I'm thinking FF vol2 both Byrne and Hickman, Westcoast Avengers vol2 (is there a vol3 or does that switch to Byrne?), X-men Lee vol2. Other than Hickman I was holding off because I had these as floppies and remember them being my favourite reads...
    Last edited by koonfasa; 02-12-2018 at 04:32 AM.

Incredible Member

Just read Nameless by Morrison, and needless to say I've got some questions.

Namely, which part was real? Did the whole story take place with him sitting with the veiled lady and the space flight stuff was just a metaphor? Since the asteroid crashed into the moon, I assume Xibalba and it causing madness & riots on Earth were a real thing? Is the veiled lady shooting Nameless what caused the asteroid to hit the moon and not the Earth, and that in turn stemmed the madness on Earth? If that was "God" imprisoned on the asteroid, does that mean Earth now has no deities, per se?

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post

Namely, which part was real? Did the whole story take place with him sitting with the veiled lady and the space flight stuff was just a metaphor? Since the asteroid crashed into the moon, I assume Xibalba and it causing madness & riots on Earth were a real thing? Is the veiled lady shooting Nameless what caused the asteroid to hit the moon and not the Earth, and that in turn stemmed the madness on Earth? If that was "God" imprisoned on the asteroid, does that mean Earth now has no deities, per se?
    there are very good questions and brought me closer to figuring out what the hell happened in the book than Morrison's own explanation at the end I need to reread this book.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Would you recommend The Strain by Del Toro? He will be signing this weekend at FP and would like to attend.
    I noticed that you seem to regularly buy books for the purpose of getting signed. Do you collect signatures as much as books themselves?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    there are very good questions and brought me closer to figuring out what the hell happened in the book than Morrison's own explanation at the end I need to reread this book.
    What was your take on "what happened" the first time around?

What was your take on "what happened" the first time around?
    I genuinely had absolutely no clue Sometimes I get a lot more out of Morrison books a second time around but this still get the general gist of things the first time but this just utterly confused me.

I love ordering stuff from UK, comes in two weeks usually
    Now i need second Criminal book, Incognito and Fade Out to close Phillips/Brubaker books. Easy as pie)
    xZn65-W4aA0.jpg

Latest:

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Something I read online that seems correct or close to it:
    It's been a while since I read it but I remember the plot being surprisingly simple in the end:

Main character was part of an occult group led by his father-in-law (or his father?). They were trying to contact an alien being imprisoned in the asteroid known as Xibalba. His group believed that the alien being was equivalent to God, and it impacted human thought and history in the same way. They also believed it was a prisoner of war from a lost civilization in our own solar system, who had destroyed themselves to seal the opening to the alien realm and end the war. But the key ended up on Earth.

During the contact experiment the alien mind's overwhelmed the group, causing the main character to be possessed. He tortured and killed the others while believing that they were the possessed ones, not him. Only his wife (or sister?) Sofia was left alive.

The whole astronaut plot retells his experience of contact with the alien mind, as it probes him and tries to understand "what is human", but from his internal perspective. He relives the real story but with the occult group recast as astronauts.

In both the astronaut version and the real story the asteroid prison begins heading toward Earth, driving people insane as the psychic effects of its prisoner get stronger. Sofia tracks down Nameless after 10 years (since the contact experiment) and I guess she uses the fact that his mind is still linked to the alien to change the end of both stories, making the asteroid crash into the moon instead.

Edit - I think in the end she uses her own painful memories of Nameless killing their team as a weapon, and Nameless as the conduit to send it back through to the alien mind.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...on_commentary/
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Latest:

oh wow! that's one oversized haul! Not a fan of Sam Keith but the cover looks really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Something I read online that seems correct or close to it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...on_commentary/
    well I wouldn't say the explanation is that simple but this will really help when I reread it.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Latest:

Nice haul! Let me know if that Batman book is really good
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Latest:

Great Haul.
    Let me know how is Hard Boiled,i have that series in my to read list for years now.
    If i was not planing to buy a HC edition of Ronin already,i would look to know more about that edition of Hard Boiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I noticed that you seem to regularly buy books for the purpose of getting signed. Do you collect signatures as much as books themselves?
    Wouldn't say I collect signatures but living in London gives me an opportunity to get many books signed, so why not use it. It's one of my flaws unfortunately, been thinking about it recently how much stuff I buy prior to signing events. But again just few days ago I had couple books signed by bloody Jock.