Page 792 of 865 FirstFirst ... 292692742782788789790791792793794795796802842 ... LastLast
Results 11,866 to 11,880 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Are there any more ‘pulp’ style books that Dynamite have put out that fit in with the whole Doc Savage/the Shadow vibe, I have seen various books, like Green Hornet year one I think it was, but I have no idea if they are any good, if they are ongoing or if they have just faded away as they weren’t good sellers
    yes and no and maybe?
    Anything Wagner does is basically good so Green Hornet Year one is worth it (haven't read it since it came out though) so does Zorro Year one (same, if they suck sorry, I remember liking them).
    Then they did the whole King's watch deal which I still need to read but it's modernised unfortunately (it's basically Defenders of the Earth).
    Anything else they've put out was in the usual Dynamite fashion when they heavily promote the debut issue then forget the title even exists and the whole run just fades into obscurity.
    Also from what I've sampled none of them looked really promising.
    Tried Masks as well, first issue by ALEEEEX ROOOOOOSSS and then the rest is by some guy who was kind of average and the whole thing was a cluster~@*&.
    Honestly the best stuff I've read were the 70s Moench Doc Savage stories in the Archives and the original 40s Miss Fury sunday strips but I know those are not really your cuppa.
    Oh and Rocketeer Cargo of Doom from IDW was a really good sequel to the original I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Theyve done a load. Green Hornet is ongoing right now. Then there was The Spider, Ms Fury, Black Bat, Flash Gordon, etc Plus various crossovers like Masks and Noir.
    Theres a Dynamite Pulp thread in the Independant forums iirc. Might be worth checking there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yes and no and maybe?
    Anything Wagner does is basically good so Green Hornet Year one is worth it (haven't read it since it came out though) so does Zorro Year one (same, if they suck sorry, I remember liking them).
    Then they did the whole King's watch deal which I still need to read but it's modernised unfortunately (it's basically Defenders of the Earth).
    Anything else they've put out was in the usual Dynamite fashion when they heavily promote the debut issue then forget the title even exists and the whole run just fades into obscurity.
    Also from what I've sampled none of them looked really promising.
    Tried Masks as well, first issue by ALEEEEX ROOOOOOSSS and then the rest is by some guy who was kind of average and the whole thing was a cluster~@*&.
    Honestly the best stuff I've read were the 70s Moench Doc Savage stories in the Archives and the original 40s Miss Fury sunday strips but I know those are not really your cuppa.
    Oh and Rocketeer Cargo of Doom from IDW was a really good sequel to the original I thought.
    Cheers chaps, will take a look at the pulp thread

Extraordinary Member

When buying omnibuses, does anyone use page/penny ratio? I used to collect LEGO and people would. For instance, the Stan Lee, Doctor Strange omnibus is roughly 50-70 for 456 pages, and I just bought Hickmans Avengers for over 1,200.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I use a €1 to 1 comic ratio. I try to hunt down the closest price I can with deals/coupons etc. to match the € to the included comics.

If I really want something I spend more on it and then I wait to buy something else I want on a sale or digital to balance it out.

It's a very arbitrary rule but it keeps me on a budget and gives me an idea of how fairly priced something is.

Edit: You can buy that omni for £41 w/ delivery through Bookdepository on Amazon btw.
    Thanks buddy. I didn't want to seem too frugal, but I also didn't want to overpay. SO tempted to buy it.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Hmm, if you are preordering Hickman Avengers vol. 2 anyway, then you could use this offer https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/amazon.co.uk?rc=5284478. If you follow the offer it gives you a £3 voucher for Amazon after a week. I used it. That would take the Dr. Strange omni down to £38 if that helps.
    Get this man a medal.

You rock.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    When buying omnibuses, does anyone use page/penny ratio? I used to collect LEGO and people would. For instance, the Stan Lee, Doctor Strange omnibus is roughly 50-70 for 456 pages, and I just bought Hickmans Avengers for over 1,200.
    I keep seeing the Strange omnibus popping up for around £30-35. I got a used copy for like £15 like a year ago from an amazon seller.
    And why I sort of agree with the "bang for your buck" mentality, sometimes you have to consider other factors as well, like it probably cost a bit more to reprint those old pages in oversized version because of restoration (not sure how much the MMWs made back) or stuff like that. I'm not gonna pretend I fully grasp the system Marvel uses to price their books other than " this is hot stuff so price it higher" and "not that hot stuff" but I don't think SA Dr Strange even with the movie around was considered super hot.
    It's easier with smaller publishers, like Terry Moore books will always cost more because he is basically self published, lower quantities being printed, etc.

Also some people say pay whatever it's worth for you. Or if you really want a book it shouldn't matter how much it costs. I tend to disagree with that because costumers can only vote with their wallets but it's a tricky situation in some cases (like when books going oop super quick or you don't know if there will be a better alternative).

But, in this specific case, if you get the Lee/Ditko Strange omni for a bit more than you would consider reasonable, you will still end up spending more time reading it than a Hickman omnibus because Silver age stuff is just jam packed.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

I do, I try not to spend more than $0.10 (Canadian) per page. I rarely buy omnis for less than 50% off the cover price anyways, thanks to B2G1 deals at Chapters.

Extraordinary Member

I keep seeing the Strange omnibus popping up for around £30-35. I got a used copy for like £15 like a year ago from an amazon seller.
    And why I sort of agree with the "bang for your buck" mentality, sometimes you have to consider other factors as well, like it probably cost a bit more to reprint those old pages in oversized version because of restoration (not sure how much the MMWs made back) or stuff like that. I'm not gonna pretend I fully grasp the system Marvel uses to price their books other than " this is hot stuff so price it higher" and "not that hot stuff" but I don't think SA Dr Strange even with the movie around was considered super hot.
    It's easier with smaller publishers, like Terry Moore books will always cost more because he is basically self published, lower quantities being printed, etc.

Also some people say pay whatever it's worth for you. Or if you really want a book it shouldn't matter how much it costs. I tend to disagree with that because costumers can only vote with their wallets but it's a tricky situation in some cases (like when books going oop super quick or you don't know if there will be a better alternative).

But, in this specific case, if you get the Lee/Ditko Strange omni for a bit more than you would consider reasonable, you will still end up spending more time reading it than a Hickman omnibus because Silver age stuff is just jam packed.
    I'll have to keep an eye out. My worry is that, with so many omnibuses, how do I wisely spread my funds. For instance, the upcoming Runaways omnibus is a measly £67 on Amazon!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    I do, I try not to spend more than $0.10 (Canadian) per page. I rarely buy omnis for less than 50% off the cover price anyways, thanks to B2G1 deals at Chapters.
    Thanks. Now this is going to sound daft, but how do I calculate said ration?

I'll have to keep an eye out. My worry is that, with so many omnibuses, how do I wisely spread my funds. For instance, the upcoming Runaways omnibus is a measly £67 on Amazon!
    I would say try to hunt down the 3 ohcs on ebay. Even if you pay more than for the omnibus (I wouldn't pay much more though, up to £70 probably but aim lower) is a better deal IMHO.
    Like a lot of older Marvel ohcs and omnibuses their production quality is much better than the current ones (better cover and paper stock, the binding is maybe a wee bit tighter but there is no gutter loss) and 3 ohcs will give you a much more comfortable reading experience than a 1000+ pg omnibus.

While the show is on tv it might be a higher profile property but I still think the prices are going down on the ohcs since the omnibus announcement. Same happened to another BKV series Ex Machina recently, the omnibus got announced and I got the 5 deluxes for like £50.

New this past month. Thanks for the tip about the Supes book, Balakin.

Last edited by LordJulius; 05-18-2018 at 04:39 AM.

I would say try to hunt down the 3 ohcs on ebay. Even if you pay more than for the omnibus (I wouldn't pay much more though, up to £70 probably but aim lower) is a better deal IMHO.
    Like a lot of older Marvel ohcs and omnibuses their production quality is much better than the current ones (better cover and paper stock, the binding is maybe a wee bit tighter but there is no gutter loss) and 3 ohcs will give you a much more comfortable reading experience than a 1000+ pg omnibus.

While the show is on tv it might be a higher profile property but I still think the prices are going down on the ohcs since the omnibus announcement. Same happened to another BKV series Ex Machina recently, the omnibus got announced and I got the 5 deluxes for like £50.
    It was the same for me. I paid less than $50 for the three Runaways and about $55 for the five Ex Machina OHCs.
    I love Ex Machina but in the past some of those books were expensive and I just felt the omnibus would be too big.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    New this past month. Thanks for the tip about the Supes book, Balakin.
    oh nice! Hope you will enjoy it. Haven't read them yet, only flipped through, but they look fun and the LoAC books just feel and look so good!
    Also I'm totally not jealous of those Conan ohcs.