Page 799 of 865 FirstFirst ... 299699749789795796797798799800801802803809849 ... LastLast
Results 11,971 to 11,985 of 12974
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Help me decide folks.

Annihiliation completed editions 1/2 OR Marv Wolfmans Teen Titans 1/2 omnibus.
    Well like i mentioned b4, despite the (deserved) acclaim and contributions to the titans mythos, NTT has not aged well. If you can stomach overly verbose, borderline campy story telling, then by all means go for it. Perez is fire on art duties tho.

Annihilation i feel gets a lot if praise because it dusted off a lot of characters that were sorely neglected for years, and threw them into a space war of epic proportions. On premise alone it's cool, but imo the story is just alright, and despite the awesome covers, the interior art gets bad at times. But it does lead into the rest of what becomes the DnA saga, so it has significance there.

Anyways, to the question. I'd pick Annihilation based in my bias for modern writing and in turn its re-readability. But neither are stellar. Anything else you might be interested in? I feel like i want to recommend something that's good lol

Edit: if you want some decent titans stuff, Young Justice and Johns' TTs are currently getting released in chunky trades. Fair warning, Johns work is heavily marred in event related stuff throughout, but still manages to have its moments
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-30-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Spectacular Member

I've not read Annihilation so can't comment on that. I will echo awayne83's opinion on TT though, I read it for the first time as the omni's came out and some of it was a bit of a slog. There's definitely better stuff out there!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Help me decide folks.

While I like Wolfmans' TT, I love Annihilation. I would get those books.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Help me decide folks.

Annihilation, no doubt about it.

Spectacular Member

Annihilation is pretty awesome. Got me back into crossovers.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I thought I'd post a couple of pics of the Doc Savage Archives Vol. 1 OHC which I recently acquired as it's such a cool book:

A few more:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I thought I'd post a couple of pics of the Doc Savage Archives Vol. 1 OHC which I recently acquired as it's such a cool book:
    [/IMG]

(I still has to read the last couple of stories, but to be fair this wasn't meant for binge reading.)
    Come on people! Anyone who blind bought the MoKF omnibuses, get this too! I think this is the stronger work (or more consistent).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

(I still has to read the last couple of stories, but to be fair this wasn't meant for binge reading.)
    Come on people! Anyone who blind bought the MoKF omnibuses, get this too! I think this is the stronger work (or more consistent).
    Balakin, you actually helped me make the decision to pick this book up as you answered a couple of questions I had regarding it. Thanks!

Incredible Member

I am one of those people who blind bought the MoKF omnibuses lol So I may check this out as well since I loved MoKF. Add this and some Lucifer in my next order.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Balakin, you actually helped me make the decision to pick this book up as you answered a couple of questions I had regarding it. Thanks!

hope you won't be disappointed in the stories!

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I am one of those people who blind bought the MoKF omnibuses lol So I may check this out as well since I loved MoKF. Add this and some Lucifer in my next order.
    Fair warning, this is very different than Lucifer
    I bought this book because I have a fondness for pulp stories and never read or seen anything with Doc Savage before (I think I've skimmed a Shadow crossover once). Half expected to be disappointed but it was just a lot of cheesy fun. Don't expect anything deep, it's fairly pulpy, fast paced and plot driven but it's very well executed (top notch creative team) and if you like pulp adventures (for example the original Rocketeer strips) or old school 70s-80s MArvel then I don't think you will be disappointed.

Also the production quality is really good on the book, it's like a pre Michelinie Iron man MArvel omnibus! That's another reason I tend to "promote" it, there aren't many oversized hcs with content like this. It's not a "must have"like, say: Watchmen, Sleeper, Sandman, Locke & Key, Sunstone, Daytripper, Preacher or Planetary but I'm still very glad I got it.

Incredible Member

hope you won't be disappointed in the stories!

Fair warning, this is very different than Lucifer
    I bought this book because I have a fondness for pulp stories and never read or seen anything with Doc Savage before (I think I've skimmed a Shadow crossover once). Half expected to be disappointed but it was just a lot of cheesy fun. Don't expect anything deep, it's fairly pulpy, fast paced and plot driven but it's very well executed (top notch creative team) and if you like pulp adventures (for example the original Rocketeer strips) or old school 70s-80s MArvel then I don't think you will be disappointed.

Also the production quality is really good on the book, it's like a pre Michelinie Iron man MArvel omnibus! That's another reason I tend to "promote" it, there aren't many oversized hcs with content like this. It's not a "must have"like, say: Watchmen, Sleeper, Sandman, Locke & Key, Sunstone, Daytripper, Preacher or Planetary but I'm still very glad I got it.
    I have 6 of those must haves you mention! I am missing Sunstone and Daytripper which I haven't heard of. I like pulp sort of stuff but my big interest in this is John Buscema in black and white art.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I have 6 of those must haves you mention! I am missing Sunstone and Daytripper which I haven't heard of. I like pulp sort of stuff but my big interest in this is John Buscema in black and white art.
    If I remember correctly it's more DeZuniga than Buscema, Buscema maybe only did like 2 issues? But DeZuniga is pretty good too, before this I only knew his last Jonah Hex gn (which I believe was maybe his last work before he died) which unfortunately looked kinda not that great but he did solid work in this.
    As for Sunstone, if you like or don't mind erotic content check it out. I don't care about stories revolving around erotic or explicit sexual content (Crepax, Manara, Lost girls, etc) except for this one. Very human and relatable story even though I don't live in a lesbian bdsm relationship (yeah, that's the story, two women falling in love through their mutual love of bdsm) and the art is just gorgeous. Also it's one of the rare erotic fiction stories where sex doesn't overwrite reality. It's also a great insight into a subculture that got popular lately thanks mainly to the 50shades series but this one actually represents said culture properly (unlike that pile of garbage).

Daytripper is...ummm... okay so it's 10 stories about this one guy, every story is a different period in his life (as a kid, adult with family, meeting with his wife the first time, yadda yadda) but at the end of every story he dies.
    No multiverse or time travel, nothing. It's just 10 stories and he dies in every one of them, so it's more of a study about how death defines life. The art might not be for everyone but I really like Fabio Moon and Gabriel Bá.

Incredible Member

If I remember correctly it's more DeZuniga than Buscema, Buscema maybe only did like 2 issues? But DeZuniga is pretty good too, before this I only knew his last Jonah Hex gn (which I believe was maybe his last work before he died) which unfortunately looked kinda not that great but he did solid work in this.
    As for Sunstone, if you like or don't mind erotic content check it out. I don't care about stories revolving around erotic or explicit sexual content (Crepax, Manara, Lost girls, etc) except for this one. Very human and relatable story even though I don't live in a lesbian bdsm relationship (yeah, that's the story, two women falling in love through their mutual love of bdsm) and the art is just gorgeous. Also it's one of the rare erotic fiction stories where sex doesn't overwrite reality. It's also a great insight into a subculture that got popular lately thanks mainly to the 50shades series but this one actually represents said culture properly (unlike that pile of garbage).

Daytripper is...ummm... okay so it's 10 stories about this one guy, every story is a different period in his life (as a kid, adult with family, meeting with his wife the first time, yadda yadda) but at the end of every story he dies.
    No multiverse or time travel, nothing. It's just 10 stories and he dies in every one of them, so it's more of a study about how death defines life. The art might not be for everyone but I really like Fabio Moon and Gabriel Bá.
    Thanks. Still looks awesome. It sounds like something like how Jim Steranko has his name on the Captain America 1 omnibus but he drew like 4 issues. The others I will keep in mind for the future. I will give most anything a try. Hard to expand your horizons otherwise.

Incredible Member

Just read Abnett/Culbard's Wild's End vol 1-2. Fantastic stuff. I really loved it.

Anyone know if vol 3 is in the works? Vol 2 kind of ends on a cliffhanger/reveal.