Page 805 of 865 FirstFirst ... 305705755795801802803804805806807808809815855 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,075 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    It's not really not wanting to know, it's that its been several years since the business with Upchurch went down. He was immediately taken off the book with no return. I mean, is there a statute of limitations at this point? He was punished, we can move on. Feels like beating a dead horse at this point. And should we dig up dirt on other creators with skeletons in their closets when someone mentions their work? Where's the line? How do we pick and choose? Seems pointless to me really.
    you have a point there but from a collected edition standpoint, on this forum, we are still in that era. To me it feels like the series didn't move on from that period since there is only that one deluxe. Don't know if that makes sense though

Latest:

Finally been able to complete MoS. And full OCD mode on Buz Sawyer. The first three volumes had a rounded spine, this one has a perfectly flat one. Aaarghh!

Glad to see that Mini-Julius isn't interfering with important things such as buying comics
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Glad to see that Mini-Julius isn't interfering with important things such as buying comics
    Well, in my defense, these were almost all from sales and glitches. And a deal‘s a deal, what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Well, in my defense, these were almost all from sales and glitches. And a deal‘s a deal, what can you do?
    That's true. I'm like 'I really can't afford this book...'. Sir, this book is 20% off today. Give me the book
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Looks like this is going to end up on my wish list. I'm actually kinda surprised they're even giving it an Absolute Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I was thinking about getting Letter 44 vol. 1 - is it any good?.
    Yes, I thought it was great and I’ll be upgrading to the HCs. And Soule is one of the more active writers, up there with Lemire; not sure how those guys keep up with churning out so many great pages/series.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Looks like this is going to end up on my wish list. I'm actually kinda surprised they're even giving it an Absolute Edition.
    Why are you surprised? It’s a classic; it’s by Alan Moore (most of his work is in Absolute); and it’s got beautiful art.
    I just hope they collect all the introductions from the hardcovers since they provide nice insight into the stories.

Back in the days I would read each issue of The Darkness.
    Unfortunately my copies are now gone and the Compendium costs a fortune.
    I really wish Top Cow would do a re-print...

Spectacular Member

It's not really not wanting to know, it's that its been several years since the business with Upchurch went down. He was immediately taken off the book with no return. I mean, is there a statute of limitations at this point? He was punished, we can move on. Feels like beating a dead horse at this point. And should we dig up dirt on other creators with skeletons in their closets when someone mentions their work? Where's the line? How do we pick and choose? Seems pointless to me really.
    I don't think its pointless. Its been alleged that he gets royalties from sales of the books he worked on and the reprints. Not sure what you mean by statute of limitations- do you mean in regards to domestic abuse? If that was the case it would mean he wasn't punished at all, so then I don't see why that would be a reason to move on.

Also, is the phrase 'beating a dead horse' really appropriate here? I don't see why its inappropriate dig up dirt on those whose work would be seen in a different light.

Case in point- Frank Miller's Daredevil. What originally seemed an innovative brave, dark and gritty fresh approach to comics now seems much more like the work of a one-trick pony whose work reflects their right-wing agenda.

And our choices in art, music, literature often stand as a reflection and statement of ourselves. As a teenage I loved the Smiths. The music was a statement of introspection and disenfranchised youth. Morrisey's recent views are so much the opposite and just plain offensive that I cannot listen to them anywhere. I do care about the background of those involved in the work, especially when said person is going to get royalties from the books they worked on.

Mighty Member

Nobody brings up Miller's agenda when people ask about his Daredevil. That's my point.

Also, since you decided it was necessary to point out, let me apologize to any and all victims of domestic violence, or anyone else who may be reading this thread in a comic book collected edtions forum, for my poor choice or words earlier

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Why are you surprised? It’s a classic; it’s by Alan Moore (most of his work is in Absolute); and it’s got beautiful art.
    I always thought DC saw it as one of Moore's more niche works; always overshadowed by The Killing Joke and Watchmen. Maybe that's just my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I always thought DC saw it as one of Moore's more niche works; always overshadowed by The Killing Joke and Watchmen. Maybe that's just my view.
    Haha. Good lord no. It’s considered a masterpiece, arguably the greatest ST run ever and Moore’s hit-the-ground-running-bat-out-of-hell introduction into American Comics. This is a groundbreaking series that revolutionized ST and introduced Constantine, among other things. If you’re looking for niche works, I guess you could maybe place his Avatar stuff in that category but even then I’m not sure.

Spectacular Member

Nobody brings up Miller's agenda when people ask about his Daredevil. That's my point.

Also, since you decided it was necessary to point out, let me apologize to any and all victims of domestic violence, or anyone else who may be reading this thread in a comic book collected edtions forum, for my poor choice or words earlier
    Thanks for the reply, sorry if my original post was a bit blunt (sometimes when you re-read things you realise there is a tone that you had not originally intended).

At least for myself, Miller's agenda is the main the reason I haven't purchased either of his Omnibuses. I think it should be talked about more (you are right to make the observation though, this piece in the Guardian mentions everything BUT Daredevil; https://www.theguardian.com/books/bo...visible-comics). The same with Mike Baron; I found the concept of Nexus interesting, and when I was younger I read his Punisher, but reading about him a bit more and his own admission that the concept reflects his politics has just put me off. I maybe let my own views govern my reading too much, but I am at a stage in my life where I want to read imaginative, hopeful, and inspiring comics.