Page 815 of 865 FirstFirst ... 315715765805811812813814815816817818819825 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,225 of 12974

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.

I haven't bought Bleach. However, I did buy the Deathnote boxset and absolutely love it. I also bought the anniversary edition of Akira, but have yet to get round to reading it - although it is next on my list :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I haven't bought Bleach. However, I did buy the Deathnote boxset and absolutely love it. I also bought the anniversary edition of Akira, but have yet to get round to reading it - although it is next on my list :P
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Actually the 3 series that are always in my recommended list when searching comics are Akira, Deathnote and Bleach. Akira seems particularly popular, even for people who don't usually go for manga.
    Akira is as close to a master piece as anything, and the recent box set is superb. Highly recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    That would be it! They're a little deeper than absolutes. Now I can match the other Jodo/Incal books I have. Thanks!
    It sounds like you already read this series -- can I ask you a question? I love Absolute edition sized comics so am looking at getting this. What do you think of their description --

John Difool, a low-class detective in a degenerate dystopian world, finds his life turned upside down when he discovers an ancient, mystical artifact called "The Incal." Difool’s adventures will bring him into conflict with the galaxy’s greatest warrior, the Metabaron, and will pit him against the awesome powers of the Technopope. These encounters and many more make up a tale of comic and cosmic proportions that has Difool fighting for not only his very survival, but also the survival of the entire universe.

-- is that accurate\straightforward, or is the read-through actually way crazier than this makes it seem? I have never read Jodorowski and get the feeling that it is pretty "out there" and maybe psychedelic or bizarre and insane, haha. I have to ask because it is an expensive book, but Moebius is so good, and that summary sounds really cool. I'm trying to determine if I will understand it and enjoy it or just be confused if that's not my kind of thing. Thanks!

I've been looking forward to Akira for sure, but I wanted a good run to read it all in one.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    It sounds like you already read this series -- can I ask you a question? I love Absolute edition sized comics so am looking at getting this. What do you think of their description --

John Difool, a low-class detective in a degenerate dystopian world, finds his life turned upside down when he discovers an ancient, mystical artifact called "The Incal." Difool’s adventures will bring him into conflict with the galaxy’s greatest warrior, the Metabaron, and will pit him against the awesome powers of the Technopope. These encounters and many more make up a tale of comic and cosmic proportions that has Difool fighting for not only his very survival, but also the survival of the entire universe.

-- is that accurate\straightforward, or is the read-through actually way crazier than this makes it seem? I have never read Jodorowski and get the feeling that it is pretty "out there" and maybe psychedelic or bizarre and insane, haha. I have to ask because it is an expensive book, but Moebius is so good, and that summary sounds really cool. I'm trying to determine if I will understand it and enjoy it or just be confused if that's not my kind of thing. Thanks!
    The Incal is...unique. A lot of things over the years have pulled from it. The art by Moebius is pretty worth it. The story is pretty wild, but it's also a very Euro Sci-Fi story.

I actually like the original Metabarons series more, I think it's the favorite of Jodo's that I've read - but I've also not read everything by him. Maybe see if a local library has the smaller version of the book so you can check it out before dropping a hundred on it?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    The Incal is...unique. A lot of things over the years have pulled from it. The art by Moebius is pretty worth it. The story is pretty wild, but it's also a very Euro Sci-Fi story.

I actually like the original Metabarons series more, I think it's the favorite of Jodo's that I've read - but I've also not read everything by him. Maybe see if a local library has the smaller version of the book so you can check it out before dropping a hundred on it?
    Pulled from it is, to me, an understatement: 5th Element down right stole from it.

Completely agree with you. it's out there as a story and I'd advise anyone wanting a go at it to read a bit of it before putting money in it. It also gets crazier as it goes on. The whole thing was written across many years and you could sense Jodo going "I can make this even more F'd up". Art is amazing (across the series, not just from Moebius). I just finished 'Les Technopères' which is spin-off of it. Crazy stuff as well.

Here's a book I bought a couple weeks ago which I highly suggest....The hardcover collection of Berlin by Jason Lutes. Attached is a picture to compare it to the recent Grant Morrison omnibus editions released by DC. As you can see, although Berlin is advertised simply as a hardcover, it's comparable in size to an actual omnibus, which surprised me.

Berlin is an interesting companion piece to Maus in that both comics revolve around Nazi Germany around the WWII time-frame. Berlin particularly focuses on the time period before WWII. In my opinion, it's far superior to Maus, which I always thought was an overrated book.

Beneath the hardcover is the volume 3 tpb of Berlin. Would've been nice if they combined all three volumes into one hardcover, but I guess they were being nice to people who had already bought the first two tpbs and didn't want to force them to buy an entire hardcover when they already have 2/3 of the storyline. Lutes released each volume every 8-10 years. Volume 1 was from 2000, Volume 2 was from 2008, and, obviously, Volume 3 came out in 2018.

Also, the second picture shows a little bit of the damage the book received due to Amazon's packaging. Both the bottom and top corners of that area had the same type of damage, and the area of the pages in that section have an indentation to them. Nothing to lament over the hardships of life over nor anything, but rather disappointing. I wasn't bothered enough to request another copy, though.....Just attached that second pic as a warning to everyone so that, if you do order this book, get it from a site with reliable packaging like IST and not Amazon.

IMG_1092[1].jpg IMG_1094[1].jpg
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-16-2018 at 06:22 AM.

Spectacular Member

Just to add clarity about Berlin, the HC which juste came out does include the (also juste release) volume 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    Just to add clarity about Berlin, the HC which juste came out does include the (also juste release) volume 3.

I just now checked the books (I'm back-logged and hadn't read them yet).........Crap, you're right. The HC comprises of all three volumes.

The description for the HC is off. It says this:

"Serialized in twenty-two issues, collected in two volumes, with a third to be released at the same time as this omnibus"

That essentially says it comprises of the first two volumes of tpbs and the third tpb will come out at the same time as the hardcover. I bought the third tpb por nada.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I just now checked the books (I'm back-logged and hadn't read them yet).........Crap, you're right. The HC comprises of all three volumes.

The description for the HC is off. It says this:

"Serialized in twenty-two issues, collected in two volumes, with a third to be released at the same time as this omnibus"

That essentially says it comprises of the first two volumes of tpbs and the third tpb will come out at the same time as the hardcover. I bought the third tpb por nada.
    yeah, it's not super clear... and the publishing behind that decision ain't great either. I mean, I'm super happy to be able to get the HC but for people who've waited years (I even think it's decades) to get vol.3 it's kind of flipping them the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    yeah, it's not super clear... and the publishing behind that decision ain't great either. I mean, I'm super happy to be able to get the HC but for people who've waited years (I even think it's decades) to get vol.3 it's kind of flipping them the bird.
    Lutes takes his time, it seems....For people who complain about certain comics being delayed by a few months, I wonder how they'd react to the publishing schedule of Berlin.

Personally, I don't really care, and I'm happy with the hardcover. Although my hardcover was damaged in shipping via Amazon, at least returning the volume 3 tpb won't be a hassle since Amazon is easy to deal with.

Latest. Don‘t worry, that‘s the accumulated haul from the past six or seven weeks.

Didn‘t plan to get the Monsters Unleashed and Thor books, but they were 9€ each on Amazon.it - an obvious glitch (the prices went back up the second I had placed my order, which is why I didn‘t post in the Good Deals thread)
    Last edited by LordJulius; 09-20-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:45 AM.