Page 91 of 865 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191591 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Wow, I could not disagree with you more. This is, without question, my least favorite purchase in over 13 years of on/off comic collecting. I didn't care for any of the characters, I loathed the character designs, and I hated the over-the-top gore and violence (which has never bothered me before, in films or comics). I couldn't get this thing up on eBay fast enough...
    Huh, this is the first negative impression I've read of Glory. I'm not done reading it yet, so I'll post my opinion on the whole thing once I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by silkcuts View Post
    Just here to share my worst experience with booksellers up to date. I'm not even sure why it took me so long.

Long story short, seller is "Ebooksweb COM LLC", bought it through abebooks and their packaging sucks. Don't buy from them.
    Damn! So sorry to hear that.

This has recently happened to me as well! I know I overpaid for this book but it's basically the only hardcover that's missing from my new 52 Batman family collection.

The seller on ebay had mostly positive reviews. I've opened an eBay case and he basically told me these exact words:

"You are making it sound like a hurricane hit the book. It was mailed first class, and should not have been able to be that damaged. It is a hard cover book???? If it is that badly damaged, I really need to contact the post office."

Basically pleading ignorance and trusting USPS to treat the item with extreme care. Out of dozens of purchases I have made on eBay, I've never come across somebody this bad! I'm going to give him hell for this.

Wow, I could not disagree with you more. This is, without question, my least favorite purchase in over 13 years of on/off comic collecting. I didn't care for any of the characters, I loathed the character designs, and I hated the over-the-top gore and violence (which has never bothered me before, in films or comics). I couldn't get this thing up on eBay fast enough...
    After it came up briefly in the Marvel thread I decided to finish the book (I've been at half-way through for about a week now) and it went from meh to bad real fast. I loved the character design for the thulian creatures for the most part but I thought that most of the main characters looked pretty bad. Glory looked different from scene to scene and was nearly always unpleasant to look at. The story ended up making little sense and had a slow build that seemed to develop instantaneously which left the climax bereft of tension or meaning for me.

I agree about the violence as well. It's never bothered me in other books but it didn't work here. I can see why some people would like this book but it's an instant sell-off for me.

Just opened up my BDSC and started with the opening a new book ritual. I noticed some imperfections on the edge of the pages and upon closer inspection found globs of glue! Dozens of pages are stuck together in two different parts of this massive tome!

I can gently separate the pages when I get to them, so I guess it's not a bid deal to me, but still pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    After it came up briefly in the Marvel thread I decided to finish the book (I've been at half-way through for about a week now) and it went from meh to bad real fast. I loved the character design for the thulian creatures for the most part but I thought that most of the main characters looked pretty bad. Glory looked different from scene to scene and was nearly always unpleasant to look at. The story ended up making little sense and had a slow build that seemed to develop instantaneously which left the climax bereft of tension or meaning for me.

I agree about the violence as well. It's never bothered me in other books but it didn't work here. I can see why some people would like this book but it's an instant sell-off for me.
    Yeah I was contemplating picking up the HC since I'd only heard good things about it (comparison's with Prophet and whatnot, which may just be due to it being a relaunched Extreme! title too), but I had decided to flip though the trades at the LCS since I haven't actually SEEN anything of the book, and the art didn't do anything for me either. Now Prophet just needs to finish up so they can start putting out the HCs for it..
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Spectacular Member

I could not disagree with your disagreement more I'm glad you gave reasons though. It bugs me when people say "I hate this" then don't explain why. Loathing the character designs is an interesting one, though. I thought these were some of the most interesting and unique designs I've seen recently, especially Henry.

I guess Glory's just a love it or hate it comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    a slow build that seemed to develop instantaneously
    Am I reading this wrong? That seems like such a contradiction.

Add me to the "love" column for Glory. I thought it was great. In fact i just bought some original art from it.

Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    Damn! So sorry to hear that.

This has recently happened to me as well! I know I overpaid for this book but it's basically the only hardcover that's missing from my new 52 Batman family collection.

The seller on ebay had mostly positive reviews. I've opened an eBay case and he basically told me these exact words:

"You are making it sound like a hurricane hit the book. It was mailed first class, and should not have been able to be that damaged. It is a hard cover book???? If it is that badly damaged, I really need to contact the post office."

Basically pleading ignorance and trusting USPS to treat the item with extreme care. Out of dozens of purchases I have made on eBay, I've never come across somebody this bad! I'm going to give him hell for this.
    Well, technically it's not the seller's fault. However, it's the seller's fault that he/she didn't better package the book. It's not that hard to slap two pieces of cardboard on either side of the book before putting it in an envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    I could not disagree with your disagreement more I'm glad you gave reasons though. It bugs me when people say "I hate this" then don't explain why. Loathing the character designs is an interesting one, though. I thought these were some of the most interesting and unique designs I've seen recently, especially Henry.

I guess Glory's just a love it or hate it comic.

Am I reading this wrong? That seems like such a contradiction.
    You are not reading it wrong, I was writing it wrong. I meant, we spent pages reading a story with some mystery and building towards something and it all resulted in an incredibly rushed conclusion that not only didn't make sense but wasn't even rewarding. We went from slow burn to development to suddenly we're at the climax without knowing it.

Amazing Member Black Iron Tarkus's Avatar

This week's books:

Those Alex Toth books are absolutely stunning: huge size (9.5"x13" IIRC), with loads of original art, sketches and rare material (such as the Jon Fury strip done during his national service in Korea). I'd say they're 80% comics/art, 20% biography. I really can't recommend them highly enough for anyone vaguely interested in Toth... actually, anyone seriously interested in comic art at all! Genius, Animated should be on its way soon; currently backordered

Going back a page, those Shigeru Mizuki books looks great. Will definitely have to pick up Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths to start off with. Always on the lookout for interesting manga, particularly historical stuff.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Just read through Invincible Ultimate collections vol 1-4 in about 2 weeks. Damn I underestemated Kirkman, this an amazing read. The characters are great, you even feel for the minor characters (And I just smile like a idiot everytime I see Allen the Alien, god I love him and *spoilers* plan to help Nolan is just adorable if that's not too unmanly to ssay *end of spoilers*). The arcs are compelling and the overaching plot is one of the best I've read in years. Never thought I'd say it but, you have to experience this book (the beginning is slowburn, it gets good during the second trade and gets on fire after around #25 for me.)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Just read through Invincible Ultimate collections vol 1-4 in about 2 weeks. Damn I underestemated Kirkman, this an amazing read. The characters are great, you even feel for the minor characters (And I just smile like a idiot everytime I see Allen the Alien, god I love him and *spoilers* plan to help Nolan is just adorable if that's not too unmanly to ssay *end of spoilers*). The arcs are compelling and the overaching plot is one of the best I've read in years. Never thought I'd say it but, you have to experience this book (the beginning is slowburn, it gets good during the second trade and gets on fire after around #25 for me.)
    And it gets better and better! (there is a big fight around issue #64 I think, you will know when you are there, it's brutal and merciless and I love it.).
    First I thought too that the beginning is slow burn, but when I've read it the 2nd time I enjoyed every issue equally.

I am powering through the Invincible Compendiums right now and just read #25. It is really starting to pick up for me and I totally agree that Allen the Alien is awesome.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    And it gets better and better! (there is a big fight around issue #64 I think, you will know when you are there, it's brutal and merciless and I love it.).
    First I thought too that the beginning is slow burn, but when I've read it the 2nd time I enjoyed every issue equally.
    I'm very excited! Bought 1-6 from a seller from Dutch Ebay. At first I was dissapointed because the corners were dented but then I started reading and I just couldn't stop. I've heard of that fight I think. It was either the Vitrumite war or Invincible war I thought
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I'm very excited! Bought 1-6 from a seller from Dutch Ebay. At first I was dissapointed because the corners were dented but then I started reading and I just couldn't stop. I've heard of that fight I think. It was either the Vitrumite war or Invincible war I thought
    There is an Invicible war, which is a bit strange, I think it was an experimental issue (basically a whole event in one issue) and there will be a war with the viltrumites too (I don't say anything else) but what I'm talking about is a one on one fight. Go, read on, you are not far from there!