Page 92 of 865 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192592 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    I could not disagree with your disagreement more I'm glad you gave reasons though. It bugs me when people say "I hate this" then don't explain why. Loathing the character designs is an interesting one, though. I thought these were some of the most interesting and unique designs I've seen recently, especially Henry.

I guess Glory's just a love it or hate it comic.
    Maybe "loath" was a bit hyperbolic; it was mainly Glory that I took offense too (and Riley looking like she was five, not twenty). There was a scene with Glory in bed after some implied intimacy that actually made my stomach heave.

I get Riley looking very young maybe, but what was wrong with Glory? I thought she was badass!

About Invincible:

I dig it up until about 50(as I did with Walking dead), but after that, it kinda falls off. The last two or three years of issues have been SHOCK SHOCK AND MORE SHOCK JUST CUZ and almost no character development or resolution to anything. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I get Riley looking very young maybe, but what was wrong with Glory? I thought she was badass!
    If badass = inconsistent, lumpy, and downright disgusting, then yes!

I know this was at Mike but I couldn't stand the character either so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The biggest problem was her character was completely unlikable and undefined. We get some hints in flashbacks that maybe she had a personality at some point but in the book (for the most part) the only time she isn't just sitting there brooding is when she is acting like a maniac and punching faces off or ripping arms off or headbutting faces off. So she was either completely vanilla and boring or violent at detestable. It felt like the whole book was the last part of a much bigger story. And I don't just mean the older Extreme issues.

Secondly, her character design made her down right creepy to me. Tiny head on weird bulbous body. She looked like Guido from X-Factor but more....tumory (I can't think of a better word) like she had tumors growing everywhere.

I used to own the first two Invincible Library editions, in them Kirkman talks about how Invincible started off on a totally different direction and was pitched as being a different comic to what it ended up becoming. That is why the "twist" at about ten issues is in there and it all takes off from there. I enjoyed the first 60 odd issues as well, but after that it got a bit a stale for me, can't really describe what specifically it was I just stopped enjoying the tpbs I was gettign from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Iron Tarkus View Post
    This week's books:

Those Alex Toth books are absolutely stunning: huge size (9.5"x13" IIRC), with loads of original art, sketches and rare material (such as the Jon Fury strip done during his national service in Korea). I'd say they're 80% comics/art, 20% biography. I really can't recommend them highly enough for anyone vaguely interested in Toth... actually, anyone seriously interested in comic art at all! Genius, Animated should be on its way soon; currently backordered
    Still waiting for some news about that slipcase that was supposed to come with 'Genius, Animated'. :\

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    I used to own the first two Invincible Library editions, in them Kirkman talks about how Invincible started off on a totally different direction and was pitched as being a different comic to what it ended up becoming. That is why the "twist" at about ten issues is in there and it all takes off from there. I enjoyed the first 60 odd issues as well, but after that it got a bit a stale for me, can't really describe what specifically it was I just stopped enjoying the tpbs I was gettign from the library.
    I'm constantly debating about whether or not to keep my Invincible OHC collection. I always really enjoy the series as I read it but after I'm done I never feel any urgency to get the next volume. Then I wonder if I need to keep collecting them at all which then leads me to wonder whether I need to even keep the ones I have. I own 1-6 and I've been going through this since about vol 3. Great fun to read, like a summer blockbuster but will I ever read them again?

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    About Invincible:

I dig it up until about 50(as I did with Walking dead), but after that, it kinda falls off. The last two or three years of issues have been SHOCK SHOCK AND MORE SHOCK JUST CUZ and almost no character development or resolution to anything. Meh.
    It's weird how this happens with every Kirkman story.

He likes to take pride in the fact that he writes long-form stories with no definitive ending in sight, but in all honesty I don't think he's very good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Baboon View Post
    It's weird how this happens with every Kirkman story.

He likes to take pride in the fact that he writes long-form stories with no definitive ending in sight, but in all honesty I don't think he's very good at it.
    He also likes to take stabs at Marvel and DC, which, by all means, do so. But instead of having a social commentary on those things he takes stabs at...he kinda just does the same thing as they do...with more blood.

Which sucks. Because the original Brit was great. So was Tech Jacket in the day. Most of his stuff started out really well. Then he did Image United....wait, isn't the issue 50 mark or Invincible and WD around the time IU came out? Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I know this was at Mike but I couldn't stand the character either so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The biggest problem was her character was completely unlikable and undefined. We get some hints in flashbacks that maybe she had a personality at some point but in the book (for the most part) the only time she isn't just sitting there brooding is when she is acting like a maniac and punching faces off or ripping arms off or headbutting faces off. So she was either completely vanilla and boring or violent at detestable. It felt like the whole book was the last part of a much bigger story. And I don't just mean the older Extreme issues.

Secondly, her character design made her down right creepy to me. Tiny head on weird bulbous body. She looked like Guido from X-Factor but more....tumory (I can't think of a better word) like she had tumors growing everywhere.
    Thats kinda the point though isnt it?

Theres 20 issues prior to the Keatinge/Campbell run that established her personality. Not to mention various crossovers with other titles.
    21+ deals with Glory as she becomes more monstrous and demonic in form to represent her loosing touch with her humanity.

Amazing Member Black Iron Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Still waiting for some news about that slipcase that was supposed to come with 'Genius, Animated'. :\
    Yeah, before I ordered them I looked up whether there was a slipcased set available/planned... I'm not holding my breath that they'll release either an empty slipcase or complete set of books. A slipcase would be nice, but they look damn good already.

Thats kinda the point though isnt it?

Theres 20 issues prior to the Keatinge/Campbell run that established her personality. Not to mention various crossovers with other titles.
    21+ deals with Glory as she becomes more monstrous and demonic in form to represent her loosing touch with her humanity.
    Yeah, I get that but I bought a book called "Glory the Complete Saga", I expect it to contain a full story by itself. If it was just another volume in an ongoing then it should have been "Glory vol 3". It's my understanding though, that this was a mini and there was over a decade break between this and the last 20 issues. I feel like it should have had a full narrative on it's own.

*shrugs.
    I just felt like in the vein of Prophet, it did work as its own narrative whilst also giving a sense of history in a "its there if you want it" kinda way.

Are there any pics comparing big damn sin city with the colossal conan or a dc absolute? I'd love to see a size comparison.