Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Smile entertaining the idea of owning a comic shop.

So, I live in a small town, of about 10,000-11,000 people. We have a small book store that does well. But no comic store nearby, the closest comic store being about 34 miles away and a good store with a lot of selection is about 47 or so miles away. I am pretty new to the whole comics thing myself. I've only been reading since, around early 2013. (Marvel's movies being the thing that made me check out comics.)

I have a limited knowledge of comics as a whole myself. Right now, I've read several, now old since the new 52 reboot, batman graphics novels. (batman:knightfall, long Halloween, year one,etc) and Ms.Marvel's whole 2006-2010 run. Current comics that I'm reading are star wars:dawn of the jedi, Justice League, the manga Attack on Titan, and probably gonna start picking up aquaman and/or Guardians of the galaxy.

So, I guess the questions I'm trying to ask are: what does it take to open a comic shop?

How much comic knowledge is necessary so I wouldn't be mocked by customers for my lack of knowledge of comic's as a whole?(Or am I over-thinking that question and are most small comic shop owners not gurus?)

Is this just a dumb idea that just isn't feasible in today's economy, or my small town?

I'm about to get out of high school and I am just trying to find some sort of idea as to what I want to do as a job or career in life.

I just thought i'd entertain my brain's, probably dumb, idea and ask people who might have some sort of clue as to what it would take.

(EDIT: Extra background in post 4.)

Edit: I just realized I could have posted my newest post onto this first one. Oh well. My final decision to my idea is on page 2.
    Last edited by Exphio; 06-30-2014 at 02:16 PM.