Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I really struggle to believe THIS was the story Bendis was "dying to tell for years" like he claimed... because it was a confusing mess of discrepancies, nonsense, and retcons that both relies on you having read the Thanos Imperative, but also shows that he himself didn't do much reading on it due to how little it meshes with what was going in in that story.

Even within three issues, the continuity falls to pieces. Can you die in the Cancerverse or can't you? Is it "Ryder" or "Rider"? What's the deal with Star-lord's blonde hair anyway?

And, ultimately, it accomplishes almost nothing. We knew Richard tried to sacrifice himself in the Thanos Imperative... and they repeat that here. Nothing new. Nothing original. It was a WEAKER version of a much better finale we already got years ago that didn't bring anymore resolution or closure to proceedings. It could've been done in ONE issue, not three.

It's a mess. The only positives I can say is... well, comic book death. There's no body. Richard's still out there, waiting... probably for a writer that actually cares. I'll be waiting with money in hand when that happens.
    Last edited by Garlador; 11-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I really struggle to believe THIS was the story Bendis was "dying to tell for years" like he claimed... because it was a confusing mess of discrepancies, nonsense, and retcons that both relies on you having read the Thanos Imperative, but also shows that he himself didn't do much reading on it due to how little it meshes with what was going in in that story.

Even within three issues, the continuity falls to pieces. Can you die in the Cancerverse or can't you? Is it "Ryder" or "Rider"? What's the deal with Star-lord's blonde hair anyway?

And, ultimately, it accomplishes almost nothing. We knew Richard tried to sacrifice himself in the Thanos Imperative... and they repeat that here. Nothing new. Nothing original. It was a WEAKER version of a much better finale we already got years ago that didn't bring anymore resolution or closure to proceedings. It could've been done in ONE issue, not three.

It's a mess. The only positives I can say is... well, comic book death. There's no body. Richard's still out there, waiting... probably for a writer that actually cares. I'll be waiting with money in hand when that happens.
    What was the better Rich Rider sacrifice in Thanos Imperative. I didn't read that?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    What was the better Rich Rider sacrifice in Thanos Imperative. I didn't read that?
    This was pretty damn satisfying... A full-on suicidal charge right towards a cosmic god to save the entire universe.

BANNED

Not to disrupt the current conversation but I wanted to ask.....

How is this series going so far outside of this particular issue? I have been thinking about getting back into Marvel cosmic but I wasn't sure if I should go with a "point" character like Star Lord, Nova, or the Silver Surfer or if I should just start grabbing this series from the beginning?

This was pretty damn satisfying... A full-on suicidal charge right towards a cosmic god to save the entire universe.
    Well Bendis would have had to explain how Starlord and Thanos got out of that situation though, wouldn't he? That's what Bendis did, I thought?

Well Bendis would have had to explain how Starlord and Thanos got out of that situation though, wouldn't he? That's what Bendis did, I thought?
    Yes. But the continuity, characterization, and plot did not match up tonwhatbhas come before and even had gaping plot head sratchers in hisnown story. It was poorly done. And nothing can exolain how Starlord isna completely different character now. And the Gamora love reasoning is false. None of it aligns correctly.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Not to disrupt the current conversation but I wanted to ask.....

How is this series going so far outside of this particular issue? I have been thinking about getting back into Marvel cosmic but I wasn't sure if I should go with a "point" character like Star Lord, Nova, or the Silver Surfer or if I should just start grabbing this series from the beginning?
    Surfer is the most well rounded and standalone title of the bunch. However, It's very retro so if your not into the aesthetic you may not dig it, otherwise it's a good cosmic-y read.

Star Lord was looking better than the actual GotG book for a while there, if for no other reason than it had a solid direction and mission statement, and I suppose it still does, it's just very "meh". The biggest issue with LSL is that like in Bendys' GotG, Humphries seems to be going out of his way to make Quill a full on goof ball that tries to be the funny "everyman" in space but it always falls flat. What Peter was in the movie works well because that was his origin story, he wasn't the leader he eventually became yet. It feels out of place in the Comics because Pete's been an authority figure since he made his return to comics back in the Thanos mini series. He was always witty and good for laughs but the balance between funny/proactive leader that he had in the previous run of GotG is gone. Despite these issues more significant cosmic stuff has happened in the first few issues of LSL then the entire Bendys GotG run thus far. There is at least an ATTEMPT at building to something bigger here for Pete and in turn the cosmic landscape. The X-men/Kitty Pryde connection is forced in this book BIG-TIME and really does nothing to elevate any of the characters, it just boils down to yet ANOTHER crossover that takes away from spotlighting lesser known characters.

The Bendys GotG book is FAR too focused on the Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man/Spawn Guest stars that are forced into this series, the lack of ANY solid direction has to be the worst I've ever seen in a comic. The GotG used to stop major cosmic powers from subjugating entire worlds and preventing other dimensional threats from invading our universe, they were always outgunned and in WAY over their heads but they would find a way to win. Now they just seem like they want to get themselves captured every other issue because they're bored and have nothing else to do, sort of like a group of aimless teenagers. They literally haven't actually Guarded the Galaxy from ANYTHING yet. All they do is tell you about how awesome and cool they are but they never actually SHOW you how awesome they are. You just need to look at how much the costume Star Lord wears has changed from issue #1 to now to see how directionless and clueless the current creative team is when it comes to this book. They couldn’t get the main character right from the beginning so they just copied the movie’s version…which in itself is a take on the Annihilation version that the current creative team didn’t like in the first place, hence all the costume changes, ugh. Hold out for a better creative team this book is a product of corporate mandates now it sells because it’s been hyped to hell and back and has always had solid art and promotion. The guest star thing is really bad though, it shows you just how little time Bendys wanted to actually spend writing these characters. He once said what got him interested in writing this book was not the fact these were interesting and compelling characters it was that he’d be given the best artists at Marvel (and because the movie was coming of course) his lack of interest REALLY shows.

Nova is the most "disneyfied" book at Marvel in the sense that the motivation here is to get kids into a new super hero kid character "that is just like them" so they can slap him on lunchboxes and such. He's "an idiot" (not my words his creators words) with a generic do-gooder attitude that's hip and now...complete with backwards hat and skateboard in tow....LOL. The fact that he's supposed to be Latino is a freakin' RIOT! I'm Latino, I come from a single parent home...not even CLOSE Marvel.
    This is just on the merits of the title as it stands now, not to mention that in an effort to push this new kid that is literally being rejected by readers at every turn they all but erased the previous Nova's very existence from the entire Marvel U, including film and television. Stay far away from this one, if you saw the classic Simpsons episode that featured "Poochie" the new "Itchy and Scratchy" character, you'll know what this book is all about.
    Last edited by Superkreep; 11-06-2014 at 11:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Surfer is the most well rounded and standalone title of the bunch. However, It's very retro so if your not into the aesthetic you may not dig it, otherwise it's a good cosmic-y read.

Star Lord was looking better than the actual GotG book for a while there, if for no other reason than it had a solid direction and mission statement, and I suppose it still does, it's just very "meh". The biggest issue with LSL is that like in Bendys' GotG, Humphries seems to be going out of his way to make Quill a full on goof ball that tries to be the funny "everyman" in space but it always falls flat. What Peter was in the movie works well because that was his origin story, he wasn't the leader he eventually became yet. It feels out of place in the Comics because Pete's been an authority figure since he made his return to comics back in the Thanos mini series. He was always witty and good for laughs but the balance between funny/proactive leader that he had in the previous run of GotG is gone. Despite these issues more significant cosmic stuff has happened in the first few issues of LSL then the entire Bendys GotG run thus far. There is at least an ATTEMPT at building to something bigger here for Pete and in turn the cosmic landscape. The X-men/Kitty Pryde connection is forced in this book BIG-TIME and really does nothing to elevate any of the characters, it just boils down to yet ANOTHER crossover that takes away from spotlighting lesser known characters.

The Bendys GotG book is FAR too focused on the Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man/Spawn Guest stars that are forced into this series, the lack of ANY solid direction has to be the worst I've ever seen in a comic. The GotG used to stop major cosmic powers from subjugating entire worlds and preventing other dimensional threats from invading our universe, they were always outgunned and in WAY over their heads but they would find a way to win. Now they just seem like they want to get themselves captured every other issue because they're bored and have nothing else to do, sort of like a group of aimless teenagers. They literally haven't actually Guarded the Galaxy from ANYTHING yet. All they do is tell you about how awesome and cool they are but they never actually SHOW you how awesome they are. You just need to look at how much the costume Star Lord wears has changed from issue #1 to now to see how directionless and clueless the current creative team is when it comes to this book. They couldn’t get the main character right from the beginning so they just copied the movie’s version…which in itself is a take on the Annihilation version that the current creative team didn’t like in the first place, hence all the costume changes, ugh. Hold out for a better creative team this book is a product of corporate mandates now it sells because it’s been hyped to hell and back and has always had solid art and promotion. The guest star thing is really bad though, it shows you just how little time Bendys wanted to actually spend writing these characters. He once said what got him interested in writing this book was not the fact these were interesting and compelling characters it was that he’d be given the best artists at Marvel (and because the movie was coming of course) his lack of interest REALLY shows.

Nova is the most "disneyfied" book at Marvel in the sense that the motivation here is to get kids into a new super hero kid character "that is just like them" so they can slap him on lunchboxes and such. He's "an idiot" (not my words his creators words) with a generic do-gooder attitude that's hip and now...complete with backwards hat and skateboard in tow....LOL. The fact that he's supposed to be Latino is a freakin' RIOT! I'm Latino, I come from a single parent home...not even CLOSE Marvel.
    This is just on the merits of the title as it stands now, not to mention that in an effort to push this new kid that is literally being rejected by readers at every turn they all but erased the previous Nova's very existence from the entire Marvel U, including film and television. Stay far away from this one, if you saw the classic Simpsons episode that featured "Poochie" the new "Itchy and Scratchy" character, you'll know what this book is all about.
    Very informative and thank you! Sounds like I'm better off grabbing some of the older stuff until there is a changing of guard in the marvel cosmic creative team....

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Lord almighty, when did Gamora become so milquetoast?

Where's the "baddest gal in the universe"?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Yes. But the continuity, characterization, and plot did not match up to what has come before and even had gaping plot head scratchers in his own story. It was poorly done. And nothing can explain how Starlord is a completely different character now. And the Gamora love reasoning is false. None of it aligns correctly.
    I suppose the Bendis treatment isn't for everyone. But maybe the GOTG after Cancerverse was designed to be more like the Movie characters, so as to sell some comics for when the movie came out, like Avengers Assemble did after the Avengers movie?

I suppose the Bendis treatment isn't for everyone. But maybe the GOTG after Cancerverse was designed to be more like the Movie characters, so as to sell some comics for when the movie came out, like Avengers Assemble did after the Avengers movie?
    That is a given. But there are ways to cater to the movie crowd whole also respecting continuity. Something that was not done for this iteration.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

So the one who told the others about what really happened in Cancerverse is the one who sometimes "just make stuff up"!?
    And also he didn't mentioned the truce between him and Thanos!

So maybe we still haven't got any clue about what really happened with Rider! :\

Given that the current Starlord holds zero similarity to thr Peter Quill from Thanos Imperative Id like to think Richa and Quill are still in the cancerverse and this new guy took his idenity and his lying his butt off ;-)

Mighty Member

Lets pretend Quill made the whole thing up and Drax went along with it. Though that doesn't explain Gamora's reaction to losing a booty call. She didn't cry like that when Warlock died. And died. And died. Or maybe because he keeps dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Given that the current Starlord holds zero similarity to thr Peter Quill from Thanos Imperative Id like to think Richa and Quill are still in the cancerverse and this new guy took his idenity and his lying his butt off ;-)
    I don't think he needs to be an impostor to lie his butt off. Quill is an admitted liar. Quill sets up the story so that Rider has the same sort of noble sacrifice he had before, but with an added emotional element directed at Gamora. Gamora was the one interrogating Quill, so it certainly makes sense for him to include that element--I haven't told you because he didn't want me to tell you. It's a gamble--it banks on her loving Rich--but if it works, it allows him to circumvent the actual truth. The entire story might work that way--an elaborate believable lie that prevents Gamora from asking again. It's not believable for us, but we knew more than Gamora did about Thanos Imperative anyway.

It's entirely possible something worse happened. Maybe Thanos is more powerful than anticipated and is able to kill Rich. Maybe he does obtain the cube and uses it to steal Rich's power. And at the end of whatever scenario, Quill and Drax are left with a choice--die fighting Thanos, or live, and possibly stop him another day--because they came to stop him from getting out and they're no longer sure that's going to happen.

I like to think this story, and Quill's entire attitude post-Thanos Imperative, are all part of his own guilt trip. He feels like a coward and a failure. He let Thanos live. He essentially sold his soul to return from that universe. He lost a trusted friend in the process.