Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

This REALLY has to derail their thinking on possible spinoff movies. There is NO WAY a Sinister Six movie will do well with or without Spider-Man in it, apparently.

I think this is a perfect case of counting your eggs before they hatch and trying to plan future movies instead of focusing on the movie at hand. Sort of the opposite of what Marvel has been doing the past several years.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I wonder if Mother's Day in the US is affecting those ticket sales (in addition to the poor reviews and lack of word-of-mouth). People are not usually going to take their mom's to go see Spider-Man and instead spend the money they would have spent on a movie on a fancy meal instead.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Ouch, that has got to sting.

For the life of me, I don't understand how this movie isn't making as much money as it should! It got a great script, great action, romance, tragedy, everything!! However I do think that Rhino should have had more screen time, or at the very least have his big moment by finished rather than cut it out half way at the end.

On the bright side, at the rate SM's movie viewers are dropping we should be having Sony giving back the money to Disney/Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    I wonder if Mother's Day in the US is affecting those ticket sales (in addition to the poor reviews and lack of word-of-mouth). People are not usually going to take their mom's to go see Spider-Man and instead spend the money they would have spent on a movie on a fancy meal instead.
    I don't know about that. I went to see this a second time with my Mom (I saw it the first time with my Dad and his side of the family) to celebrate Mother's day a little early. Like me, she loved it. (SPOILER ALERT) My Mom was heartbroken about Gwen's death, just like the rest of us comic book fans.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I can't help but feel that SM3 was SOOOOOOOOOOO BAD, that it actually ruined the sales of the new trilogy that came right after it. Another thing about it is the fact that people just let a little thing like a few bad reviews get in the way of enjoying it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsabretooth View Post
    This REALLY has to derail their thinking on possible spinoff movies. There is NO WAY a Sinister Six movie will do well with or without Spider-Man in it, apparently.

I think this is a perfect case of counting your eggs before they hatch and trying to plan future movies instead of focusing on the movie at hand. Sort of the opposite of what Marvel has been doing the past several years.
    Before ASM2 came out I kept thinking to myself "I'll believe them actually making a Sinister Six and Venom movie(s) when they actually start filming". Because let's face it, we've been waiting for a Venom movie to come out for almost a decade now and it sucks because I SO want to see a Venom movie because I love him so much. A S6 movie would do better in the box office because it has more than one good villain in it. Speaking of villians, I don't think they'll have any other good special effect theme villain now that they used some of the great one already. All we're going to likely have our Vulture, Dock Ock (again), and possibly Kraven (Marc Webb says he's interested in using him the most). Which will really suck because I have been completely spoiled with awesome special effects with SM2 and SM3. The reason I thought the first ASM movie was mediocre was because it had less SGI fight scenes and the Lizard's motive wasn't exactly new to me since we already know what is motive is and always will be.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I heard one movie review show saying that between the way the over publisized the film with too many previews and then opening it overseas first they probably caused a lot of their own problems. A lot of people were feeling a Spider Man fatigue before the film even opened because of the countless add and constant media push for months. Opening it over seas also didn't help because by the time it opened here in the States the bad reviews and spoilers had already flooded the internet and turned people who were on the fence off.

Less previews and opening in the states first probably would have netted them at least another 10-20 million their opening couple weeks.
    THIS
    by the time we actually see the movies we have already seen so many scenes! it's happening with X-Men DOFP right now.
    i only went to watch ASM2 because a friend recommended to do so.
    it was fine, frankly it's sad that it's receiving so many bad reviews and sales' decline.
    overall, i think the reboot killed the franchise.. eventually people gets tired..
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Maybe they'll rewrite ASM3 to kill off Peter and replace him with Miles Morales. He can't do worse.

Count me among those curious about the plan to open overseas. If it was supposed to shock anyone that they bump off Gwen, then doing so like this would be like if Hitchcock had opened Psycho overseas first. That works in the 60s but in the internet age, people talk. It was almost like they were counting on word spreading, hoping the drama of the death would sell tickets?

1. It turned out to be a chick flick. It was too emotional. I did not see the ups and down of Peter and Gwen's relationship, Peter's struggle with his father leaving him, or Harry Osborn's angst. this is a movie you gotta keep people attentions. In the comics you have time to work with the emotional side.

2. The villians were weak. I dont understand putting Jaime Foxx in the movie if u weren't gonna have him act. The character came off corny before and after he became Electro. Having Harry Osborn in the movie was just a waste of time.

3. The fight scenes were weak. The fight scenes with each villian never lasted long because they spent too much of the movie on the emotional side.

While watching the movie we were just waiting for it to be over with. I could look around and see little kids losing interest in it. I took my 7 year old daught to see Captain America the Winter Soldier and she loved it cause the action kept her interest. Word of mouth has pretty much done this movie in which was the opposite for the Winter Soldier. I conviced about 5 people to go see it. I told everyone I knew to avoid it and just wait for X-men: Days of Future Past.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I can't help but feel that SM3 was SOOOOOOOOOOO BAD, that it actually ruined the sales of the new trilogy that came right after it. Another thing about it is the fact that people just let a little thing like a few bad reviews get in the way of enjoying it themselves.
    I can definitely buy that argument, with people being apprehensive after such a bad showing. If I recall correctly, the same lingering effects were around when X-Men: First Class came out, though that's even more closely linked to the franchise. Would more time waiting after Raimi's trilogy was completed have given the audience more breathing room, and maybe help with ticket sales?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    I can definitely buy that argument, with people being apprehensive after such a bad showing. If I recall correctly, the same lingering effects were around when X-Men: First Class came out, though that's even more closely linked to the franchise. Would more time waiting after Raimi's trilogy was completed have given the audience more breathing room, and maybe help with ticket sales?
    You may have a point there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    Given that SM3 was far and away the most successful Spider-man film to date, it seems really unlikely that it was as universally reviled as people on these boards like to make out that it was. If anything, SM3 should be credited with helping to make the reboot films no more disastrous than they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Wow $91 million last weekend to $10 million this weekend?? That's crazy. Any predictions on how it tops out in North America? At this rate I would guess $120 million
    $10 million is just for Friday. It's expected to do 35 to 40 million this weekend. That's about a 60% drop, which is only slightly higher than the average drop for a Marvel superhero's second week (56 percent). It's already done over 140 million domestically.

TASM2 has taken a backseat to a raunchy Seth Rogen comedy? Unfortunate for a rebooted franchise. Or maybe Rogen's movie is just an overall better experience.

The first Amazing did fine, so heaping the blame on the third less-than-stellar entry in Raimi's trilogy seems inappropriate, if not absurd.