Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default "I'm all in." The Chris Powell aka Darkhawk Appreciation

He is one of my favorite comic characters in Marvel Comics. Darkhawk fans, let's gather and talk more about him.

I first saw him in the first issue of Busiek/Perez's #1 of the Avengers. I know next to nothing about the character but he looked pretty cool.

Where will he pop up next? I wanted some more of the fraternity of raptors or project pegasus stuff.

BANNED

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

He should be in the Guardians of the Galaxy book.

A few years back, I purchased the entire run of Darkhawk in floppies off ebay and read it straight through. While the storytelling techniques are very old-school and almost cheesy now, there was certainly enough to enjoy. I especially enjoyed the dynamics of the non-costumed characters: while the superheroing side of the book seemed to often be aimless - oh, a random fight with Hobgoblin for some reason! - the family dynamics that Chris Powell dealt with felt really emotional and powerful. I cared much more about the civilians than the any of the antagonists that we saw (with the except of Portal). Too many of them were armor-wearing '90s rejects and haven't been seen again for good reason.

I wouldn't go pick up a book just because Darkhawk was in it, but I'll always be interested in seeing him pop up.

-Pav, who is still waiting for a book starring Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, and Deathlok...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

His mom was smokin as well.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They just set up so many cool things for the character with all the Fraternity of Raptors stuff and Darkhawk being set up by them and framed for killing the Sh'iar Empress during the War of Kings story. It is shame that it has all been kind of forgotten already. Being the most wanted man by and Empire the size of the Shiar is just brimming with possibilitys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They just set up so many cool things for the character with all the Fraternity of Raptors stuff and Darkhawk being set up by them and framed for killing the Sh'iar Empress during the War of Kings story. It is shame that it has all been kind of forgotten already. Being the most wanted man by and Empire the size of the Shiar is just brimming with possibilitys.
    I love Darkhawk and I think Powell radiates great potential but knowing Marvel they'll probably kill him off and replace him with a teenage diversity hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    He should be in the Guardians of the Galaxy book.
    Indeed. He would be perfect there. But if they don't want to, I want him to join the x-men and reunite with Hollow/Penance.

I love 'old school' chris. I was torn with the direction they took with the Raptors and the Loners series... on the one hand, they just wanted to retcon his whole history.... on the other, I never really thought they'd do anything with him again!!!

I still love the original simplicity in the Mike Manley design and the more pointed helmet. He was a character who I thought got less interesting the more they powered him up. As a street level character, he was one of my favorites. Found him with issues 6, and been a follower ever since!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I love 'old school' chris. I was torn with the direction they took with the Raptors and the Loners series... on the one hand, they just wanted to retcon his whole history.... on the other, I never really thought they'd do anything with him again!!!

I still love the original simplicity in the Mike Manley design and the more pointed helmet. He was a character who I thought got less interesting the more they powered him up. As a street level character, he was one of my favorites. Found him with issues 6, and been a follower ever since!!!
    I have a question. Looking on the first post of this thread, is the one who said "i"m all in", is it Darkhawk or somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I have a question. Looking on the first post of this thread, is the one who said "i"m all in", is it Darkhawk or somebody else?
    it was chris in Avengers Arena right before he was taken out

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I dont know..i think what your talking about is more a product of the flow and story we got from the cosmic chri stories..they were all tie ins with war of kings so we didnt really get a ot of characterizaion about him or his family etc..there was some stuff about his anger but for the most part he was just s player in a big grand arc...i think a solo story focusing on him could flesh out the cosmic chris into a fun character.

Ha, great to see a thread devoted to Chris. As for me, my first introduction to Darkhawk came during the awesomely 90s "Round Robin" storyline in Amazing Spider-Man:
    31323-2127-34871-1-amazing-spider-man-.jpg

I think in total he appeared in only 3 of the issues for that story, but yeah, awesome.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."