Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly, I've never seen the appeal of putting him in space :-/
    He started out as a very down to earth kid... his powers were cool but modest. His driving force was finding his dad and protecting his family. It was around the Amulet Quest story that they separated Chris from Darkhawk and shovedhim in space and boosted his powers... and he's kind of spiraled out of control (and interest) ever since.
    When he was grounded on Earth with a distinct purpose... he was at the top of his game!
    For me, I think it comes from the fact that the amulet comes from space (even in the original Darkhawk story, before it was changed in War of Kings). So there's this idea - that since it came from space - he'd fit out there, for me. Granted, I would love to see him with the New Warriors, or something - but after War of Kings - he's pretty powerful. And that storyline lends to the idea that he would do well in space (fighting stronger, more cosmic type things) with a team like the Guardians of the Galaxy or something along those lines. (Especially since Abnett is doing Guardians of Infinity and he had a hand in revamping Darkhawk in War of Kings, I would love to see Dan further develop was came out of War of Kings and putting Darkhawk to some use; like if the Guardians of Infinity discover other Raptors out there).
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Incredible Member

He started out as a very down to earth kid... his powers were cool but modest. His driving force was finding his dad and protecting his family. It was around the Amulet Quest story that they separated Chris from Darkhawk and shovedhim in space and boosted his powers... and he's kind of spiraled out of control (and interest) ever since.

When he was grounded on Earth with a distinct purpose... he was at the top of his game!
    Considering that he's essentially Marvel's take on the Guyver and the Amulet's cosmic origins, having Darkhawk make the jump to being a cosmic character felt like the logical step for him. Its not like they were really doing anything with him on Earth anyway and at the time it opened up a lot more options for him, honestly it makes more sense for him to be in space than languishing on earth struggling with no-names like Arcade.

Hell yeah!

I first read about the character in War Of Kings IIRC, and I loved him ever since, even though his appearances have been scarce.

He should totally appear in Guardians Of The Galaxy!

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    Hell yeah!

I first read about the character in War Of Kings IIRC, and I loved him ever since, even though his appearances have been scarce.
    He should totally appear in Guardians Of The Galaxy!
    Great image, too.

Have you gone back and read his original series? (You'd find that WoK contradicts a lot of what was put in his original series, retconning a lot of history) - but I thought WoK was really well done (REALLY WELL DONE!) and did so much for Darkhawk as a character, to make him far more marketable and usable.

Just... no one has taken advantage of it.

Yet, is what I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Great image, too.

Have you gone back and read his original series? (You'd find that WoK contradicts a lot of what was put in his original series, retconning a lot of history) - but I thought WoK was really well done (REALLY WELL DONE!) and did so much for Darkhawk as a character, to make him far more marketable and usable.

Just... no one has taken advantage of it.

Yet, is what I hope.
    I'll try to get my hands on those. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    I'll try to get my hands on those. Thanks
    You can get it fairly cheap (using this link) on mycomicshop.com - http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TI...fID=1055159P01

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Considering that he's essentially Marvel's take on the Guyver and the Amulet's cosmic origins, having Darkhawk make the jump to being a cosmic character felt like the logical step for him. Its not like they were really doing anything with him on Earth anyway and at the time it opened up a lot more options for him, honestly it makes more sense for him to be in space than languishing on earth struggling with no-names like Arcade.
    Well, I agree about Arcade... he's always been the bottom of the barrel as far as villans go. It's almost embarrassing when they try to make him relevant >.<

I guess I just never cared for Marvels Cosmic stuff. Even after Annihilation I still get bored to tears with their alien races. I liked Nova, Quasar and Darkhawk on earth amongst Earthlings, with the occasional skrull invasion or Galactus attack.

Same principle with Green Lantern. I hate his space adventures, love him on earth.

Incredible Member

Well, I agree about Arcade... he's always been the bottom of the barrel as far as villans go. It's almost embarrassing when they try to make him relevant >.<

I guess I just never cared for Marvels Cosmic stuff. Even after Annihilation I still get bored to tears with their alien races. I liked Nova, Quasar and Darkhawk on earth amongst Earthlings, with the occasional skrull invasion or Galactus attack.

Same principle with Green Lantern. I hate his space adventures, love him on earth.
    I see where you're coming from but at the same time the fact is that he doesn't really have much to offer planetside considering anyone that isn't an Avenger or X-Man tends to get sidelined and fade into obscurity, and when they're not then Marvel makes them out to look like punks. Once again got to point out what they did to Darkhawk in Avengers Arena.
    If Chris isn't being treated like a punk by some C-lister then he's bogged down in either a team that's going nowhere (Loners, New Warriors) or an organization that serves no real purpose (Project Pegasus), I mean at least when they phased out Portal they put him somewhere that he at least appears to matters.

As for him being in space, like everything it's more of a matter of how it's handled and who's handling it. Not every problem can be some major Annihilation level event, if they would have just focused on Darkhawk dealing with the Raptors in something of an Assassin's Creed storyline albeit on an intergalactic scale.

Bring back Darkhawk Marvel! BRING HIM BACK!
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Bring back Darkhawk Marvel! BRING HIM BACK!
    I could not echo this enough.

I do love in the 90's Book that they just released, Darkhawk is front and center.

I liked the Earth-bound stories of his original series when he was a teenage crimefighter, but the more recent cosmic stuff was less interesting to me because once you start retconning origins and rewriting character personalities, you could be using any character - even a new, original one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigonos Chomhgaill View Post
    I liked the Earth-bound stories of his original series when he was a teenage crimefighter, but the more recent cosmic stuff was less interesting to me because once you start retconning origins and rewriting character personalities, you could be using any character - even a new, original one.
    This is true; but I feel like Darkhawk was in a position where he was too "clunky" looking for people today. In the 90's it worked. But these days, everything's more rounded and sleek. While there was a considerable amount of adjustments made to Darkhawk's origin in WoK, I think the end result, and upgrade, makes him a more viable, and potentially more usable character. (Not that, much to my disappointment, anyone HAS done something with him since WoK, but he certainly seemed a lot more marketable).

Darkhawk, sadly, after his series, was reigned in as a background character who would maybe pop up if someone swung by Project Pegasus where he was working.

He was in Loners/Runaway - which, I didn't care for. Thought it would have worked better as a 4 issue limited series; but a series, essentially people talking about their feelings, about being or not being a super hero, just dragged on too much for me.

So it was nice, to finally see Darkhawk get a lot of action, a lot of attention, be a part of a major event - even if it meant getting some rewriting done to the character.

I remember sitting in at a Marvel Panel back in the NYCC during the War of Kings a couple of years ago. Bill Roseman(sp?) mentioned something to the effect that Darkhawk just looked like he belonged in space. You could just picture him flying among the stars.

In a way, I picture him as that. Indeed, though I dug Darkhawk back in the day with his Earthbound adventures (loved the Round Robin storyline he was in for Amazing Spider-Man), he does have that space look. I liked this notion that Darkhawk was equal parts Silverhawks, Teknoman, and Guyver. In the miniseries he had during War of Kings, his ability to switch into different forms was SOOO badass.

The Fraternity of Raptors though? That threw me for a loop though. I thought Marvel was going to rebrand Darkhawk as a hero a la Nova. But his (accidental) assassination of Lilandra and subsequent turning into a man on the run left a bad taste in my mouth. Still, I've warmed up to the idea. Just hope to see Darkhawk come back soon.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I have the entire Darkhawk V1 (Synopsis) on my New Warriors website:
    http://newwarriors.com/synopsis/darkhawk/darkhawk-v1

Over all, Darkhawk has appeared quite a bit - he had his own 50 issue series - War of Kings - appeared a few times in Spider-Man, quite a few appearances in the New Warriors - what are some of your favorite Darkhawk stories or moments?